• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boyne going BIG again with Doppelmayr at Big Sky

BenedictGomez

I wonder what they'll do with the outgoing Six Shooter? Someone would definitely want it. Kind of surprised the author didn't ask that question.

bigbob

I wonder what they'll do with the outgoing Six Shooter? Someone would definitely want it. Kind of surprised the author didn't ask that question.
Is it a modern day Dopp? Hopefully it gets refurbised and sent to Sugarloaf! The Loaf doesn't seem to qualify for brand new lifts these days.

kbroderick

View attachment 60333

That's an entertaining idea just for the six-pack reaction from some of the Red Lodge locals.

You'd probably need extra lift attendants, though; I'm not sure how many of the Dakotans can count that high. *ducks*

In all seriousness, I think the biggest logistical question in that regard would be wind resistance; it gets breezy at Red Lodge, and having the triple (or whatever replaced it) down really impacts the lower-mountain options. I'd expect it would be at least a 24-month lead time, too, given that ROM is mostly on federal land. I have no idea if it makes business sense for Boyne to sell it or for RLM to buy it, of course, so there's that too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Six Shooter is a GCTEC Stealth 3 with very low capacity (1800 pph). I doubt it is reinstalled.
It's older than it may seem. Plus I know it has had a lot of issues. Moonlight Basin was a Lehman project and we all know what happened to Lehman Brothers. I say that because from what I've heard there may not have been all the necessary maintenance while Lehman was crashing and burning. Boyne has owned Moonlight for a while now, but it still has been having a lot of issues.

Of course it could be thoroughly rebuilt for a new owner.

BenedictGomez

The fall of Lehman happened in a nanosecond. So unless a sale took several years I doubt that had any effect.

machski

It's older than it may seem. Plus I know it has had a lot of issues. Moonlight Basin was a Lehman project and we all know what happened to Lehman Brothers. I say that because from what I've heard there may not have been all the necessary maintenance while Lehman was crashing and burning. Boyne has owned Moonlight for a while now, but it still has been having a lot of issues.

Of course it could be thoroughly rebuilt for a new owner.
Who's going to thoroughly rebuild it though? Granted GCTEC is part of Dopp now and they do provide technical support for those machines, but I have not heard of them returning and re-install g any of the CTEC Detaches like their own Detaches. Alta's old Detach Triple did get reused, similar CTEC machine and I think may have gotten updated electric controls with the re-install. But not like what Dopp has done with BS's Shedhorn, Loon's 7Bros and SL's bucksaw.

drjeff

Who's going to thoroughly rebuild it though? Granted GCTEC is part of Dopp now and they do provide technical support for those machines, but I have not heard of them returning and re-install g any of the CTEC Detaches like their own Detaches. Alta's old Detach Triple did get reused, similar CTEC machine and I think may have gotten updated electric controls with the re-install. But not like what Dopp has done with BS's Shedhorn, Loon's 7Bros and SL's bucksaw.
Pretty sure with the relationship that Boyne and Dopp have as of late, if Boyne wants the internal components rebuilt and that machine reinstalled at some other location with the same basic towers and external top and bottom structures around the bullwheels and drive componets, it will happen if possible

machski

Pretty sure with the relationship that Boyne and Dopp have as of late, if Boyne wants the internal components rebuilt and that machine reinstalled at some other location with the same basic towers and external top and bottom structures around the bullwheels and drive componets, it will happen if possible
I doubt it will. Those CTEC grips are not getting rebuilt, I doubt Boy e wants to leave those on a reused lift. And changing those out to Uni-G grip sets would be cost prohibitive due to all the terminal gear needing to be changed out as well. Unless someone wants to reuse it hardware as is (electronics upgrades are a different story) but I doubt that's Boyne.