• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for Skiing on Sand

mbedle

I'm heading to the cape next week - where is that happening. I got an old board that needs the rust worn off....

Alright, just watched the video, have more vertical in my back yard.... I'll stick to the pool and beer in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
How do tune for sand?
I didn't. I made sure I grabbed an old pair of skis that I didn't use anymore (same for the boots, unless you want to have bit of sand in them forever). As stated in my TR link, the sand and biddings = not good. After a few runs, the old Tyrolia bidding had issues.

The slope dune on Lake Erie was about 300ft vert (not sure - I wrote it in the TR). Based on the pics above. German place looks real good, Cape looks too flat. I was sand terrain that was as steep as the bowl at Tuckerman.

MadMadWorld

I found cord!

View attachment 12913

There are videos of people skiing these dunes at Wellfleet on the Cape. Look it up on YouTube.

View attachment 12914

That first picture would cause Snowlover to have a panic attack.

On a side note, I don't think I will be sand skiing this weekend. I'm concerned the rain over the next couple of days will make the sand too manky.