• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's official, a brand new orange 6 pack bubble at Okemo

Quietman

This lift is essentially a 6 million dollar A*S and face warmer. it's going to be loved by the holiday & 5 day a year skier.

I think this is a big waste and the money could have been much better spent getting a lift from the base area with a mid station where Sachem now unloads and then taking it to the top replacing Sachem and Glades. that would actually improve the skiing experience. This lift is 100% fluff and replaces a lift that still had a lot of life left in it.

Looking at just Okemo, I agree. But Sunapee badly needed a H.S. in the Sunbowl, so all that life left on this lift will still be put to good use, and this will allow more lift shuffling at Sunapee so it probably makes good business sense on a "big picture" level for Okemo/Sunapee.

WoodCore

Wrong brand but some orange bubble love from my home office!

dlague

That would be gar to see without a little hiking since that chair is not visible from the base. Not sure of Sunapee has any press releases out.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Interesting to note that they have rolled back season pass pricing to the early season rate if you purchase before the end of the month.

One thing that surprises me is that they don't offer a Sunapee only pass. You have to buy a combined Sunapee and Okemo pass with the cheapest black out price being $719. That's not a bad deal for the two mountains.

However, I think Sunapee competes head to head primarily with Ragged and Gunstock, at least in the local NH market. Both of those mountains offer passes below $600. Ragged is $599 now, but I believe it was $569 for the early bird? Gunstock offers a pass right now for $539. Both of those are non-blackout. The Sunapee / Okemo non-black out pass is $929.

I'm kind of surprised Sunapee doesn't offer a Sunapee only season pass that is priced competitively with Ragged and Gunstock.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting to note that they have rolled back season pass pricing to the early season rate if you purchase before the end of the month.

One thing that surprises me is that they don't offer a Sunapee only pass. You have to buy a combined Sunapee and Okemo pass with the cheapest black out price being $719. That's not a bad deal for the two mountains.

However, I think Sunapee competes head to head primarily with Ragged and Gunstock, at least in the local NH market. Both of those mountains offer passes below $600. Ragged is $599 now, but I believe it was $569 for the early bird? Gunstock offers a pass right now for $539. Both of those are non-blackout. The Sunapee / Okemo non-black out pass is $929.

I'm kind of surprised Sunapee doesn't offer a Sunapee only season pass that is priced competitively with Ragged and Gunstock.

Except for locals, they don't have to. It's always busy. Why drop the price when you don't have to?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

Except for locals, they don't have to. It's always busy. Why drop the price when you don't have to?

Sunapee is 45 minutes from me, but for the money, I definitely wouldn't consider a pass there. Okemo is not an incentive for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

I'm surprised Cranmore, Bromley & Jimminy Peak don't offer a pass for all three mountains for all pass holders. They are all managed by the same corporation. They do offer a pass good for all three areas for college students already.

deadheadskier

Staff member
good point and that would be a great pass. Sunapee for reliability after bad weather, Cannon for it's exceptional terrain during good weather.

buellski

Sunapee is 45 minutes from me, but for the money, I definitely wouldn't consider a pass there. Okemo is not an incentive for me...

20 minutes from me, but they're just too expensive now. It would be over $1300 for just my son and me. That's just insane. But like TB said, when you're busy and you have lots of folks with the means to fork over that much money, why drop prices?

xwhaler

I'm surprised Cranmore, Bromley & Jimminy Peak don't offer a pass for all three mountains for all pass holders. They are all managed by the same corporation. They do offer a pass good for all three areas for college students already.

I know mtns that are owned by the same corporation do like to offer multi mtn passes but this would be an interesting one. Not sure what the market would be? Bromley and Jiminy I suppose could team up as folks in WMASS/SoVT/Albany area could see the value in a combo.
But with Cranmore its really too far away to day trip from the other 2....folks that ski Cranmore are likely to have a place in the MWV and will go for a Cranmore only pass or the White Mtn Super pass or even the BWoods/Cranmore Sun-Fri pass.

Just my $.02

thetrailboss

Staff member
20 minutes from me, but they're just too expensive now. It would be over $1300 for just my son and me. That's just insane. But like TB said, when you're busy and you have lots of folks with the means to fork over that much money, why drop prices?

Yeah that's exactly their situation. They're making good money with the current volume. Remember ASC cheap passes, in some ways, ruined things because there were too many skiers and riders.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. Remember ASC cheap passes, in some ways, ruined things because there were too many skiers and riders.

I'm not so sure skier visit numbers would back up those claims.

I don't think Sunday River or Sugarloaf for example were any busier under ASC as they are today; at least not in my experiences. Perhaps Killington was, but I think their drop off in business had more to due with Powdr's initial mismanagement than getting rid of cheap ski passes. Also, some of K's busiest years were under Pres Smith, predating ASC.

I'm sure the pass price at Sunapee or anywhere really is mostly based on Gross & Net revenue targets and not the number of skiers on the hill. I doubt Sunapee ever has had the conversation, "Well, if we drop pass prices, the ski area will become too busy."

steamboat1

I know mtns that are owned by the same corporation do like to offer multi mtn passes but this would be an interesting one. Not sure what the market would be? Bromley and Jiminy I suppose could team up as folks in WMASS/SoVT/Albany area could see the value in a combo.
But with Cranmore its really too far away to day trip from the other 2....folks that ski Cranmore are likely to have a place in the MWV and will go for a Cranmore only pass or the White Mtn Super pass or even the BWoods/Cranmore Sun-Fri pass.

Just my $.02

ASC All for One pass is one example of a pass that was geographically diverse. I know I skied every mountain offered on that pass many times when I had it & it was because of the pass that I went. A better example of a geographically diverse pass would be Vail's Epic pass, you can even ski Europe with that pass.

Edd

ASC All for One pass is one example of a pass that was geographically diverse. I know I skied every mountain offered on that pass many times when I had it & it was because of the pass that I went. A better example of a geographically diverse pass would be Vail's Epic pass, you can even ski Europe with that pass.

Several tempting mountains on that AfO pass, worth driving for. It's tough to get excited about a Jiminy / Bromely / Cranmore pass.

xwhaler

Several tempting mountains on that AfO pass, worth driving for. It's tough to get excited about a Jiminy / Bromely / Cranmore pass.

This was my point.....because they are so geographically diverse and really are not 'destination' type mtns like Epic or ASC days I think the appeal of that combo would be limited.
I think the best combo passes are either close geographically so folks can enjoy variety or are big time places where folks get an incredible mix of awesome terrain. It needs to be one or the other (ideally both) for combo passes to work.

Not hating on any of the 3 mtns but I think most in the market for a pass there would just stick to that 1 mtn.

steamboat1

Well Okemo & Sunapee aren't exactly ski areas I'd write home about either. In fact now getting 3 free days at K with the Okemo/Sunapee pass seems to be a bigger deal. I don't think K skiers now getting 3 free days at Okemo means to much to them. I drive past both Jimminy & Bromley on my way to/from VT. most of the time. Just drove past both this past Fri.