• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your worst wipeout

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"Nick"
"It won't continue. This is end of.summer doldrums. Its a positive sign that ski season is "

A diversionary Thread

Mine was at Camelback opening day 1980?
Came around the top of Asp and hit "marbles" day before groomed and frezzing rain on top.
I slid across 20' of FRZG and hit 30' of ground slid over a rock and airborn, as I dropped over a 12' drop off I managed to grab a tree branch and hung for a minute , kicked of my skiis and dropped to the ground. A passer by who saw me go over caught my skiis as I threw them back up. I scrambled up the rocks and checked out a nice new bruise.
Would have been ugly if it was'nt for the well placed tree. No helmet back then

mbedle

Worse wipeout had to be breaking the front bail on my board and having to slid down a steep pitch, with no way to stop. Had to hold the board off the snow for fear it would have caught and turn my still connected leg's knee around backwards. Scared the crap out of me.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Watching that video madmadworld posted makes me wonder- I imagine someone must have accidentally impaled themselves on a ski pole before during a fall.

skiNEwhere

If you're going to fall you might as well not half ass it.

I'll have to try harder next time.

That is steep as hell from 1:15 to 1:25, what did you estimate that at? Looks like it's into the 55+ degree range, maybe close to 60

MadMadWorld

I'll have to try harder next time.

That is steep as hell from 1:15 to 1:25, what did you estimate that at? Looks like it's into the 55+ degree range, maybe close to 60

I think it was probably 55. It was pretty damn steep. Snow was just rolling off the slope like nothing.

That fall was the worst feeling in the world. I felt like I was just waiting to die. I had no idea where I was falling but I knew I was moving fast and nothing I tried slowed me down. The slide itself was scary but waiting for the sudden stop from hitting something was the worst part. I was lucky enough to see the boundary rope coming towards me so I grabbed at the air hoping a piece of my arm might get tangled in it. I definitely had someone looking out for me that day. I'm sure you can relate to that.

dlague

My worst was at Brodie when they used to have the st. Patricks day slush jump. Before they made the slush pond I faked going over it! Unfortunately there was freezing rain that day and the jump was frozen as I went stop befor going over the 15 ft jump I slipped and fell on my ass and went over it. Thought I was going to die. When I was alert there were to a of people around me and my shit was all over the place. It was my second year of skiing and scary as hell! I have had a few other thoughtless moments but none that were that terrifying!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Watching that video madmadworld posted makes me wonder- I imagine someone must have accidentally impaled themselves on a ski pole before during a fall.

Worked at Lehigh Valley hospital in the 80's, They airlifted a guy in from Big Boulder, seems someone mistook his head for a mogul and planted a pole into his temple up to the basket, Emt's removed pole above the basket.
Guy lived!

drjeff

Easy for me. 1993. February, senior year of college. A Friday night at Bousquet in Pittsfield, MA. I was co chair of the ski club for my college (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) and we ran a Friday night program jointly with the all women's Russell Sage College, also in Troy, NY. Well, I was a touch smitten with one of the Sage ski club co-chairs, and was trying to impress her by dropping about a 10 foot cliff located just below one of the lift towers of one of Bousquet's summit lifts. I had her get into viewing range below the cliff, but never really looked at the landing. I went off it, and all of a sudden realized it had a FLAT landing onto essentially a catwalk!! :eek:

Needless to say what happened next was a double binding eject face plant, where I had to do a full body "do all body parts still move + work?" systems check after my crash!! :lol:

Did it work out in the end???? Well let's just say...... ;-)

Cannonball

When I was 15 years old, went off a jump at Loon. I landed way in the backseat and fractured both shins at the boot top. I blew one of the toe piece of my skis, it shot about 20 feet in the air. I was so worked up with adrenaline that I skied down the rest of the way on one ski. I didn't realize the pain and damage until I got down. Missed the rest of that season and half of the next. I actually couldn't ski again until I bought new boots with a higher cuff that didn't pressure the weak part of my shins.