• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Ski Resort Bar

catsup948

Ski resort bars. Meaning bars at the resort. Tom's loft counts only because it is pretty much in the parking lot and Okemos bar is not that great as I remember.

steamboat1

Ubars at K in June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed and may too.

Enjoy this season. Word is the smaller U-bar is going to Snowshed next summer.
attachment.php

Attachments

• fullsize 1.jpg
    fullsize 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 211

steamboat1

Bear would make more sense.
Nope, mountain bike central (they're moving the rental shop down there also)will be Snowshed next summer plus they have plans to add more summer activities down there. I think they already started installing a small zip ride. The large outside deck at Bear is plenty fine. There is no outside deck at Snowshed & if not for the U-bar deck & small deck outside K-1 there's nothing there either.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
KBL should be the center of MTB access, not Snowshed.

The Bear deck is great. Guess I just don't see too many folks parting down at an Umbrella bar down at snowshed midwinter.

steamboat1

KBL should be the center of MTB access, not Snowshed.

The Bear deck is great. Guess I just don't see too many folks parting down at an Umbrella bar down at snowshed midwinter.
Pretty sure the decision has already been made to move the bike shop/ticket sales down to Snowshed. Of course the gondola will still run also.

Really not a heck of a lot of people at the present U-Bars mid-winter either. The small U-bar doesn't even open most of the time. That includes spring.

Personally I think it's a good move.

machski

Pretty sure the decision has already been made to move the bike shop/ticket sales down to Snowshed. Of course the gondola will still run also.

Really not a heck of a lot of people at the present U-Bars mid-winter either. The small U-bar doesn't even open most of the time. That includes spring.

That's what I've heard as well next season. Assuming the Snowshed HSQ runs every day next summer, I think that is a good idea. Would be the only resort in the east mountain biking with 2 lifts. And for those with a bike season pass who want to pass up snowshed, well there is still a big parking lot by the K1.

steamboat1

That's what I've heard as well next season. Assuming the Snowshed HSQ runs every day next summer, I think that is a good idea. Would be the only resort in the east mountain biking with 2 lifts. And for those with a bike season pass who want to pass up snowshed, well there is still a big parking lot by the K1.
A little more detail: http://mountaintimes.info/killingto...-create-world-class-downhill-mountain-biking/

"Phase 1 of the master plan calls for the development of Snowshed as the main base area for biking. It will have ticketing, proper marketing (“with photos of a family riding together, for example, rather than big air” Kelly noted) and full services including guided rides. It will also be the main hub for Killington’s additional summer businesses such as zip lines, ropes courses and a mountain coaster. - See more at: http://mountaintimes.info/killington-takes-first-step-to-create-world-class-downhill-mountain-biking."

Machski if you read the article you'll see they also plan on adding Ramshead to the mix in a few years (3 lifts).

Last edited:

CoolMike

Am I alone in liking the bar on the second story of the main lodge at Bretton Woods? Last year I had a few good days there - one in November and one in early January. For November they had reasonable top to bottom runs and it was a nice relaxing day to shake the rust off. In January all of the woods was in play and it was awesome.

Either way the atmosphere up at this bar is really relaxed. Plenty of seating. Reasonably quick service. Some days you get to watch people climb the (not very challenging) indoor rock wall.

I also really liked the bar under the tramway at Snowbird. You can sit and have a beer and watch the huge cable turn on the huge wheels as the tram rides up and down. The crowd here was younger and hipper than most ski bars.

steamboat1

I also really liked the bar under the tramway at Snowbird. You can sit and have a beer and watch the huge cable turn on the huge wheels as the tram rides up and down. The crowd here was younger and hipper than most ski bars.
LOL... first time I was in there years ago it was BYOB, the bar only served the mixers. I know the laws have changed, I've been there several times since. I agree it's pretty nice in there. There are a couple of other nice bars at Snowbird in the hotels & restaurants too.

bigbog

On Mountain, The Foggy Google is good at SR but I like the vibe better at Barker Pub. Off mountain, hands down its the Matterhorn at SR. They have cranked it up over the past decade, place rocks!

It's too bad the Matterhorn's bar is rather small....think they could reduce the tables and make the bar longer and have it stretch lengthwise as well...ending closer to the pizza dugout..

SkiFanE

On Mountain, The Foggy Google is good at SR but I like the vibe better at Barker Pub. Off mountain, hands down its the Matterhorn at SR. They have cranked it up over the past decade, place rocks!

100% Barker Pub. FoggyGoggle has little vibe, and to be a good bar, one must have Vibe. Need to get to Matterhorn sometime besides with fam for dinner.

bigbog

Did go to the strip joint near Sugarloaf. They were not lacking for workers. Maine must have slack laws on stripping because they would grab your hands and put them on their breasts. The smell of 2 stoke in the place was killing me though.

Yeah the Carrabasset Inn, OTW known by some, on the Sugarloaf's Unofficial Chat site, as the ballet...
Who knows who owns and wants to do with it....the few times I've hit the Loaf in the last 5yrs..

Edd

Am I alone in liking the bar on the second story of the main lodge at Bretton Woods? Last year I had a few good days there - one in November and one in early January. For November they had reasonable top to bottom runs and it was a nice relaxing day to shake the rust off. In January all of the woods was in play and it was awesome.

Either way the atmosphere up at this bar is really relaxed. Plenty of seating. Reasonably quick service. Some days you get to watch people climb the (not very challenging) indoor rock wall.

I enjoy the BW bar. The open concept with the bar and the rest of the lodge is unique for ski areas. Take your beer anywhere.

Edd

100% Barker Pub. FoggyGoggle has little vibe, and to be a good bar, one must have Vibe. Need to get to Matterhorn sometime besides with fam for dinner.

This is blasphemy but the Barker lodge is completely overrated to me. The Foggy Goggle suits me just fine, and I go to lots and lots of bars. Plus, you're eating cafeteria food at Barker.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I've never gotten the Barker fandom. It's a bar. The bartenders are good. I'm usually hanging out with some friends. That's all well and great, but there's no real character to the place IMO.