• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay - Intel

HD333

Headed up to Jay next weekend for the first time.

Anybody have any insider intel? I am not looking for secret stashes, looking more for suggestions on how to attack the mountain since I have never been. I am also looking for Après suggestions and any overall must dos while up there.

Thanks.

LONGBOARDR

Anybody have any insider intel? I am not looking for secret stashes, looking more for suggestions on how to attack the mountain since I have never been. I am also looking for Après suggestions and any overall must dos while up there.

Thanks.

My 2 cents, not the end all perfect approach just one
Go and park at stateside, if it is windy the tram and flyer over at tramside may be on wind hold. stay away from tramside if they are on windhold as you will be stuck riding the metro (lines)to get back to upper mtn lifts at stateside

Start early on hill at 8 am one warm up run on taxi quad, then hit bonnie for intermediate warmup on northway or goat before they get skied off which will happen quickly on weekend.
If expert hit the jet for fast corduroy, then hunt for pow in the woods, especially if it is really cold

If it is a powder day, just follow the stinky, grungy looking locals and follow us, just don't sport a go pro on your helmet. we don't like them.

tower bar on mtn OK, Belfry on 242 good. snowshoe pub in montgomery if you must have guiness on tap.

have fun and if you want to ruin your skis, the face chutes are open

fbrissette

Thanks.

What's your skiing ability and how much do you like glades ?

fbrissette

I was going to ask how the Face is skiing; always a bit sketchy when I'm there and I'd like to go when there is plenty of snow.

There is never 'plenty of snow' on top. The top is difficult to maneuver if you care much about your ski base, unless you're willing to catch minimal air. After the initial steeps, conditions are usually excellent. You can enter the Face just below the hairy part by entering Tucks and finding atraverse skier right.

Face chute is one of those trails that is actually much easier than it looks.

It was closed last Sunday. It is now open but the top will definitely be marginal. Skiable but difficult to avoid a rock or two.

HD333

What's your skiing ability and how much do you like glades ?

I am an advanced rider, love glades but not super tight technical ones. Any suggestions of where to start and the go from there based on conditions and confidence levels?

Thanks for the input so far. There will be no go-pros. Not sure on the Tram comment, is there a backstory?

Last edited:

Smellytele

I am an advanced rider, love glades but not super tight technical ones. Any suggestions of where to start and the go from there based on conditions and confidence levels?

Thanks for the input so far. There will be no go-pros. Not sure on the Tram comment, is there a backstory?
Timbuktu glades are nicely spaced as are beaver pond. The ones in the middle of the mountain tend to be a little tighter

dmw

Check out the glade descriptions on the Jay website trail map, gives at least a rough idea what they're like.

Rutecki

Not sure on the Tram comment, is there a backstory?

Believe they were referring to the fact that the tram doesn't really give you access to that much more terrain? Not sure. Valhalla and Face Chutes if there's a good dump of fresh snow are worth it, but depends on the line. On a bluebird day, the view is stunning from the top, so that is worth it for at least one ride.

I'm heading up this weekend. Sounds like conditions have rebounded well from the Christmas storm/thaw. Hoping for a Jay Cloud dump on Sunday night.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Forget the fact that Jay Peak has a tram. Just try to pretend it's not there.

Not sure on the Tram comment, is there a backstory?

Believe they were referring to the fact that the tram doesn't really give you access to that much more terrain? Not sure. Valhalla and Face Chutes if there's a good dump of fresh snow are worth it, but depends on the line. On a bluebird day, the view is stunning from the top, so that is worth it for at least one ride.

It's that the line gets super crowded and yes, doesn't get you access to that much more terrain. Riding the Bonaventure chair or the Flyer Express will get you to all the places you need. Also there's a reason they call the Flyer the Freezer - so be sure to cover up.

Parking at State side is a good suggestion as the parking there just makes more sense. Parking at the tram is a bit convoluted.

Tram Line by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Pow Line by Bob Misu, on Flickr

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If you have never been to Jay, you need to hit the tram at least once, especially on a clear day. First thing in the morning (non-powder day), lunchtime (when everyone is eating lunch), or very end of the day (when the crowds begin to thin out), are the best times to get on.
In Bob's picture above, getting on the end of that line is about at least a 3 tram wait (you would be able to get on the third tram cycle). At about 9-10 minutes a cycle, your looking at 40-45 minutes from the time you get in line to strapping in at the summit.

BenedictGomez

In Bob's picture above, getting on the end of that line is about a 3 tram wait (you would be able to get on the third tram cycle). At about 9-10 minutes a cycle, your looking at 40-45 minutes from the time you get in line to strapping in at the summit.

I'll take the over.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'll take the over.
After reviewing my post and Bob's pic one more time, I changed it to "at least a 3 tram wait". It is kind of hard to tell where the end of the line is there. That very well could be a 4 tram wait. Which would be over an hour wait before you unload at the top.
The end of the stairs is roughly about 1 tram. If the line looks like it is anywhere near a two tram wait, I don't even bother to look closer.

MadMadWorld

There is not a lot of super tight technical trees on the map (very little off as well) I find that the best glades are to the far left (Timbuktu) and far right (AP and BP). They hold the snow the best and have been carefully maintained so there is really no hidden hazards even when the base isn't great. Out of the three, I would say BP is the most challenging with Timbuktu a close second. AP is nicely spaced and you can actually rip some turns through there. The tree skiing at Jay is a lot of fun and there are places all over the mountain to enjoy. None of the marked glades are seriously technical so go explore!

BenedictGomez

I find that the best glades are to the far left (Timbuktu) and far right (AP and BP).

Do most folks here think of the map view (like above) when perceiving the mountain? I think of it from the skier's perspective (i.e. Timbukru is far-right, AP & BP is far-left).

dlague

If you like glades Beaver Pond, Andre's Paradise, Everglade (tighter up top but better towards the middle and bottom), Timbuktu (steeper up to and nice part way down). Kitz Woods can be fun but tight up top as well. All the trails off the Jet chair are fun to ski but the line there can get long so early, lunch or later skiing over there is best. Derrick Hot Shot due to turns can be scraped off at times but cut over to Haynes part way down for a better run out to the chair. Upper Can Am can be a nice wide bump run. My kids like Tuckerman Chutes and Face Chutes - I have never skied them because I do not like waiting in line for the Tram (that's the story), rather I focus on Green Beret, Valhalla and Vermonter which are trails you can get to by skiing straight from the Tram. You can take a right down Northway but IMO it is not worth it since everything you can get going that way is accessible from Flyer. Green Mountain Boys can also be another fun bump run.

From Bonni going left there are several runs that are good but Northway is a wide flat trail that kind of sucks and more of a run out to other trials. Powerline generally has nice bumps. To get to Goat you have to skate straight off the chair (not very far) but that trial gets wind blown and has a turn that gets scraped off. But there is a section further down Bonzi woods that are short but sweet. Right underneath the top terminal is Upper Can Am mentioned earlier.

The water park is not for everyone but if you are there definitely go there to relax and do La Chute - less than 3 seconds of fun!

Apres - Tower bar can bet crowded early so we generally go to the Drink for adult beverages or Eat and Drink at the Foundry. We like Alice's Table too - pretty good food but more of a sit down restaurant atmosphere. I have yet to eat Stateside but the bar there has lots of seating and they will more than likely have a band playing from 4-7 on Saturdays. There is also a concert being held in the Ballroom that Saturday as well.

Want pizza? Mountain Dick does a great job.

Have a great time!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It is kind of hard to tell where the end of the line is there. That very well could be a 4 tram wait.

Actually now that I look at it again the end is a bit more to the left than I put here.

Screen_Shot_2015-01-16_at_1_14_00_PM.png