• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
OK then, I'll take another turn:

1. My little brother used to live across the street
2. Novices get the Run Around here
3. Today's program is brought to you by the letter J
I'll try "Big Bromley"
1. Little Bromley was across the street
2. Run Around is a trail name there
3. In the old days, Bromley was heavily served by J-Bars

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Next:
1. Operated under two names
2. Had a summer water park
3. Under its 2nd name, it had a relationship with Prospect Hill, Waltham, MA and Mt. Watatic, Ashby, MA.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Next:
1. Operated under two names
2. Had a summer water park
3. Under its 2nd name, it had a relationship with Prospect Hill, Waltham, MA and Mt. Watatic, Ashby, MA.
Having been up for more than a day with no guesses, I have to think that this was tougher than I expected or nobody cares!

A hint: In the late 1980s, a man proposed an all-year around facility (including re-establishing the ski area) at Mt. Watatic. The Ashby zoning board saw through him and shot him down. In 1989-90, he took out the lease to operate Prospect Hill. Lot's of things went wrong, including but not limited to the fact that Waltham would not give him the right to have a bar in the lodge, problems with his limited snow making system; and a snowless winter. My pay checks from that winter bounced and are still sitting in a folder in my file cabinet. The next year, he tried running the area in question where most of his employees, if they got paid at all, got paid through the courts well after the ski season.

Now that you've got the year this all happened, hopefully, the name of the area involved will emerge! After his failed attempt, the area went back to its original name before going out-of-business again.

Quietman

!) Very low base elevation, but around 900' vert.

2) 2 double chairs, and a T-bar, all are quite old but reportedly functional.

3) The head ski instructors first name in the early 80's was Klaus, and he still teaches at other nearby areas. He taught my cartography class in college.

OK, extra hint, base elevation is between 300-500'

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

3) The head ski instructors first name in the early 80's was Klaus, and he still teaches at other nearby areas. He taught my cartography class in college.

I was riding the lift yesterday with quietman and based on something he said (not in the clues), I figured out the answer. While I am disqualifying myself from guessing, I offer a correction to one of his clues: The vertical is closer to 800' than 900'.

Quietman

Ok, another couple of hints, chairs may still be operational but the area is a lost NE ski area.

ThinkSnow

Try this one:
1) Overabundance of fixed-grip triple chairs which stop and start for no apparent reason.
2) Outrageously long lines in all on-mountain restaurants
3) Dated mountainside lodging

4aprice

Maple Valley, VT

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Try this one:
1) Overabundance of fixed-grip triple chairs which stop and start for no apparent reason.
2) Outrageously long lines in all on-mountain restaurants
3) Dated mountainside lodging

How about guess the AZ member? I'll go first!

1. Complains about a well-known problem but thinks his experience is special.
2. Hijacks other threads to complain about said problem.
3. Believes complaining to AZ members would be more productive than complaining to guest services at the mountain.

ThinkSnow

How about guess the AZ member? I'll go first!

1. Complains about a well-known problem but thinks his experience is special.
2. Hijacks other threads to complain about said problem.
3. Believes complaining to AZ members would be more productive than complaining to guest services at the mountain.

What is the well known problem? Crappy lifts? Had I known I certainly wouldn't have bothered.

Hijacks other threads? I think this fits perfectly well here.

At least I'm not cutting up other readers simply for using the forum as its intended.

FWIW I also post on the Sugarbush forum, because on that site, the mountain owner not only reads it, he responds to posts, and he makes the needed changes.

So please, go back to your ski instructoring at Thunder Ridge and leave the rest of us alone.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If I understand the protocol of this thread, the one who guesses correctly gets to post the next clues. As such, 4aprice, who correctly guessed Quietman's clues, should be the next "clue giver."