• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

VTKilarney

Frost last night.

Highway Star is complaining about Killington. Oh, wait... That happens all year round.

prsboogie

At the Second Annual New England Whiskey Tasting yesterday at Twin River people were talking skiing with the Mad River Distillery guy

Cornhead

I was at the bank yesterday, the teller was complaining about the cold, damp, dreary weather. I told her to cheer up, it'll be snowing soon. She, and several people in line behind me just groaned. I love being a contrarian!

snoseek

I was at the bank yesterday, the teller was complaining about the cold, damp, dreary weather. I told her to cheer up, it'll be snowing soon. She, and several people in line behind me just groaned. I love being a contrarian!

I for the life of me will never understand the amount of complaining people will about the weather in new england. 4 seasons is great...and its not like this is the only possible place they could reside. Florida needs bank tellers too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Heat on in the evening in my son's bedroom. No where else yet. Living in a town filled with many college students, this is the tell tale sign winter is almost here:

Attachments

• 1443964912400.jpg
    1443964912400.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 80

VTKilarney

I for the life of me will never understand the amount of complaining people will about the weather in new england. 4 seasons is great...and its not like this is the only possible place they could reside. Florida needs bank tellers too.

One legitimate is the lack of sunshine in the winter. I don't like when we go days without seeing the sun.

Cornhead

For me, once the leaves are gone I've wanted it to snow long before I began skiing. On cloudy, dreary days when the leaves are gone, it is depressing. Everything is just gray and brown. Snow looks so much better. More so now that I'm a semifunctioning Alpineoholic.

cdskier

Haha...I love doing that too! I even have a countdown on my whiteboard at work of the number of days until snowmaking begins at Sugarbush! Most people are not a fan of seeing that.

yeggous

Heat on in the evening in my son's bedroom. No where else yet. Living in a town filled with many college students, this is the tell tale sign winter is almost here:

That is funny. I am going to have to share that.

Heat is on in North Conway. The frost was very heavy this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me, once the leaves are gone I've wanted it to snow long before I began skiing. On cloudy, dreary days when the leaves are gone, it is depressing. Everything is just gray and brown. Snow looks so much better. More so now that I'm a semifunctioning Alpineoholic.

Agreed. Least favorite time of the year is approximately October 20th to November 20th. Dreary, raw and many days where the weather isn't good to do anything outside. Occasionally get a few decent ski days, occasionally a few good hiking weather days, but for the most part the weather sucks.

May can be the same way on the opposite side of the season unless it's a dry, sunny spring.

JimG.

Staff member
Too cold and windy to fish on the res yesterday and even today.

Skis will be turning underfoot in another month.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Agreed. Least favorite time of the year is approximately October 20th to November 20th. Dreary, raw and many days where the weather isn't good to do anything outside. Occasionally get a few decent ski days, occasionally a few good hiking weather days, but for the most part the weather sucks.

May can be the same way on the opposite side of the season unless it's a dry, sunny spring.

Used to feel the same way till I started BC , now I use that time for bike and hike trimming .only on Sundays so as not to piss off any hunters.
Sometimes the oak leaves make it a bit slick . Thinking of taking some rock skis and trying a few spots .

Smellytele

+1 hate gray snowless, leaveless days

ScottySkis

Seeing pictures of western NY seeing snow falling at Snowy Ridge an hour ago on Facebookcrappy lol!??! Ya I want to ski to but I know be soon now, k starts making some soon for real .

SnowRock

that looks like the far hills race meet in jersey aka the hunt. Wonder if that is where the pic is from

ThinkSnow

Disagree-- this time of year is best for outdoor bonfires.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Worked and hiked in Franconia Notch yesterday. Leaves were still mostly green. But they got a hard freeze Saturday night and a frost in the valley. Temps never rose about 40's on sunday. Those leaves will be full of color this week. Sure sign winter is on our doorstep. Quickly finish up that honey-do list and make sure you've get plenty of tread left on your snow tires. It's gonna be here soon! :)