Running...anyone?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Running...anyone?

I'm still planning on skiing for as long as I can this spring but on Sunday, May 1st there is a half marathon in Middlebury, VT that I am signing up for. It is supposed to be a beautiful course and hopefully my dog will be able to participate with me too! ( I don't think its really allowed but he's completed the Manchester Maple Leaf Half marathon with me). I think I am doing this one solo so just curious if there are any other runners out there partcipating in other races coming up or if anyone is near Middlebury interested in something like this. Heck, just any other runners?

I started running a lot last year, but I didn't do more than a 5k as far as races go. Starting to pick it up again this spring, but I need to work into it so my joints get used to it. Don't need to start out with any injuries. When the weather gets consistently better I'll pick up the pace and miles (well as far as I'm concerned anyway ...)
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    I started running a lot last year, but I didn't do more than a 5k as far as races go. Starting to pick it up again this spring, but I need to work into it so my joints get used to it. Don't need to start out with any injuries. When the weather gets consistently better I'll pick up the pace and miles (well as far as I'm concerned anyway ...)
    I didn't want to say anything, when I first read Stef's post here...but, since you brought it up and opened the Door, Wa-loaf...running just hurts my body. If I'm going to screw up my knees and other joints, its going to be on a ski slope not running.

I also don't really have a runner's body....But I do love making myself suffer on a bike!

As a former track guy (decathlon) in college, I like to run but I'm more of a sprinter. I don't typically run more than 2 miles at a time.

I run on a treadmill when outside isn't conducive to excercise (like today,) the additional cushioning of the bed makes a big difference. If it's nice enough to run, I'd rather be on a bike anyways.
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

Total: 44

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    As a former track guy (decathlon) in college, I like to run but I'm more of a sprinter. I don't typically run more than 2 miles at a time.
    My son a track and field and cross country athlete was All East in college and got me into it .

As a former football and hoops jock i didn't have a runner's build . When I ran i was too damn compulsive and ran year round everyday in all kinds of weather for 4/5 yrs and messed myself up with hip bursitis .So I gave it it up for road biking , golf and distance walking in the off season .
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

At my age the only running I do is.....oh never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    My son a track and field and cross country athlete was All East in college and got me into it .

As a former football and hoops jock i didn't have a runner's build . When I ran i was too damn compulsive and ran year round everyday in all kinds of weather for 4/5 yrs and messed myself up with hip bursitis .So I gave it it up for road biking , golf and distance walking in the off season .
    I actually had to take a year off from any running after I got out of college. I had severe tendonitis in my hip flexor from too much hurdling.

[QUOTE=from_the_NEK;617227]I actually had to take a year off from any running after I got out of college. I had severe tendonitis in my hip flexor from too much hurdling. [

You do the 100 , 200 or 400 H's ?
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Stef View Post
    I'm still planning on skiing for as long as I can this spring but on Sunday, May 1st there is a half marathon in Middlebury, VT that I am signing up for. It is supposed to be a beautiful course and hopefully my dog will be able to participate with me too! ( I don't think its really allowed but he's completed the Manchester Maple Leaf Half marathon with me). I think I am doing this one solo so just curious if there are any other runners out there partcipating in other races coming up or if anyone is near Middlebury interested in something like this. Heck, just any other runners?
    I'll point this thread out to MTN-FUN and have her give some insight as I believe she has run this event in the past.
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Thread Information