• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016 AZ Summit?

ScottySkis

weren't there a bunch of guys at sugarbush a couple years ago?

Yes I was their so was Cornhead and I guess about 25 it was mini summit good prices and good times if in Vermont mini ir full summit I probably go . if in Maine skip it just miles away make less ski time as nd more money in gas so price break is not so good when you add that up.

prsboogie

What kind on numbers are we talking for rooms? 15-20 double/triple occupancy?

BenedictGomez

Platty is not big enough for a multiday summit, even a mini one, anyway, so whoever plans such a thing would do well do plan lodging near Hunter/Tannersville or Belleyare and ski 2 out of the 3 for a weekend, or all 3 for a long weekend. All 3 mountains are within easy driving distance of each other.

That's a good idea too.

Platty and Hunter would make the most sense in a combo (Platty on Saturday of course).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've never skied the Catskills. If I were to go over there, I'd want to hit at least Platty and Hunter. I can't say I have a tremendous interest in Windham or Bell; though I've seen some pretty sweet bumps at Bell from spring trip reports.

Is there a local lodging properties in Hunter that do packages to multiple ski areas? That would be the way to set it up.

yeggous

I've never skied the Catskills. If I were to go over there, I'd want to hit at least Platty and Hunter. I can't say I have a tremendous interest in Windham or Bell; though I've seen some pretty sweet bumps at Bell from spring trip reports.

Is there a local lodging properties in Hunter that do packages to multiple ski areas? That would be the way to set it up.

What kind of vertical and terrain are we talking about? Can you compare it to somewhere in New England? That is a looong way to drive if we're talking about Cranmore style terrain and vertical.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Summit, not exactly > As is tradition, I'll buy a beer for anyone with a Platty lift ticket on Jan 8.

Make me pay, make it hurt! ;)

The Plattekill bar is awesome.

1546372_771857046177421_2066019138_n.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

What kind of vertical and terrain are we talking about? Can you compare it to somewhere in New England? That is a looong way to drive if we're talking about Cranmore style terrain and vertical.

Catskills terrain is all 4/ ar better then between 1000 and 1600 vertical good but mountains hiking them I learn close to better mountains for stepps then anything in MA besides Berkshire e which I haven't been to yet. Come due a day at Platty and day at another Catskills hill I bet you be happy for checking it out. Catskills no joke hiking trails terrain m

Rowsdower

Platty has the best glades and a "if you can see it, you can ski it" policy for the woods. If you hit it after a big snowfall its amazing, and as others have said the atmosphere is one-of-a-kind. People have compared it to MRG, but with a more laid-back, easy going feeling. It's Scotty's mountain of choice, that alone should tell you something.

Hunter has more vert (1600 rather than 1000) but most of the fun is had on the west side of the mountain. There are hardly ever lines on the Z lift and you get access to 1000 vertical of very good steeps, bumps, and glades. The issue is just waiting in line for the six pack to get to the summit. If you get in early on a weekday though I shouldn't think you'd have much of a problem.

Personally, I like Belleayre. It just doesn't have sustained steep terrain like Hunter, and the wide layout is a bit of a pain. But its generally not crowded and has some fun woods. Plus, Tomahawk liftline.

Comparing it to mountains in VT or Maine is a little tough, because the mountains are smaller and get less snow, so a direct comparison maybe isn't the most helpful. I suppose Hunter is your Stratton/Killington, while Platty is your MRG. Because stat wise, these mountains are about 1/2 your average VT resort in terms of vert, snowfall, and acreage. Doesn't mean they aren't a lot of fun to ski though :)

Last edited:

Cornhead

Summit, not exactly > As is tradition, I'll buy a beer for anyone with a Platty lift ticket on Jan 8.

Make me pay, make it hurt! ;)

The Plattekill bar is awesome.

View attachment 17648

The view out the window of Platty's bar is quite dramatic, especially for an 1,000 ft mountain. I always thought it would be cool to eliminate the cross beam in the middle of the bank of windows, and place the bar along that wall so if you sat at the bar you would have that view in your face. I know it isn't practical as the bar length would be more than cut in half. You could have an "L" shaped bar along that wall and retain square footage.

One problem with a Platty summit is limited lodging in the area. I've stayed overnight only twice as it is easy day trip distance for me, 100 miles one way. Both times I stayed in Margaretville, about 12 miles from the hill. Check that, Scotty and I stayed twice in Oneonta to ski both days of weekends at Platty. Kinda wacky for me as Oneonta is halfway home. Visits to Brook's Barbeque made up for any senselessness.

jimk

Platty is a little like Black Mtn, NH size-wise, but with longer steeps. Platty has glades and when they are in play it can be like good day at Magic. Hunter is a little like Loon or Mt. Snow, but not as big. Mid-winter Hunter weekday vs. weekend is night and day. Weekdays it can be fun & interesting, built on very rocky terrain, with a couple legit black diamonds on front and backsides including bump runs.

dlague

I do not think I would make the drive to ski Catskills where I do to ski Sugarloaf.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
The long term goal is to have more than one per season. Research has even been done for a western summit too, but the prices haven't been attractive.

steamboat1

Group rates at Platty are available starting with only 15 people or more. Judging by last years rates (they haven't published this years yet) group rate is $17 off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's the whole package - rooms and lift tickets that no one has come close to in pricing with Sugarloaf. Never mind the Loaf throwing in two private parties and first tracks for Sunday.

If somebody is aware of a lodging property in the Catskills that has such packages, point us in that direction.

Keep in mind there's nothing stopping folks from setting something up on their own down there. If someone wants to name a date for 15+ people to meet up at Platty I say go for it. I meet up with people from AZ most of the time I go skiing these days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We will look into it. Though people earlier in the thread said it would be best to stay over by Hunter.

Sounds like the loose plan of what people are looking for is Friday and Saturday night lodging at a place with some apres. Ski Platty on Saturday, Hunter Sunday