• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016 AZ Summit?

ScottySkis

We will look into it. Though people earlier in the thread said it would be best to stay over by Hunter.

Sounds like the loose plan of what people are looking for is Friday and Saturday night lodging at a place with some apres. Ski Platty on Saturday, Hunter Sunday

That be perfect I think .

steamboat1

I don't think people would be adverse to skiing Platty two days especially when the lift ticket is free Sunday with their lift & lodging package. Don't go by me though because I'd likely only make a day trip to Platty on Sat. I'm not interested in skiing Hunter as some may already know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sure I'd be fine skiing two days at Platty. Just going off the advice of BG, Scotty and Scruffy.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sure I'd be fine skiing two days at Platty. Just going off the advice of BG, Scotty and Scruffy.

Since the areas are close to each other you should try at least 2 if you make the trip. I would ski Platty Saturday then stay in Hunter and ski there Sunday. Not much to do apres near Roxbury or Belleayre.

prsboogie

Why would Sugarloaf need to deal more than say Sugarbush or Jay? Both are places we've tried to work with before.

I know I'm late to the party but is/has there been any attempts at K-mart or Mt Snow? Just looking at location and amenities.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Kmart in the past yes. Mount Snow, not that I'm aware of for a weekend, though there's been some large group meet ups for the day there in the past.

yeggous

I know I'm late to the party but is/has there been any attempts at K-mart or Mt Snow? Just looking at location and amenities.

Mt Snow? Never. Yuck. The terrain is boring, and the lifelines are intolerable.

KMart maybe. We'd definitely need regulars to show us around. I still don't know how to effectively ski that mountain. The lift layout boggles my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

Not that Kmart needs to hook anyone up with anything but one would think good will in the current economic times would go a long way. Especially looking at 50+ (or however many went to the last one) people who spend plenty of scratch aprés and on mountain during the days there.

How many went this past year to SL?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not that Kmart needs to hook anyone up with anything but one would think good will in the current economic times would go a long way. Especially looking at 50+ (or however many went to the last one) people who spend plenty of scratch aprés and on mountain during the days there.

How many went this past year to SL?

The summit has drawn over 100 the past few years. There's a bunch that show up that have no idea what Alpinezone even is; friends of friends of members. That sort of thing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The true story behind why the deal is so strong at Sugarloaf has very little to do with how remote the area is. Sugarloaf is just as busy a ski area as Sugarbush, Jay, probably Loon too in terms of overall skier visits. It's not Killington or Sunday River, but it isn't hurting for business at all.

Brad, the old director of marketing at Sugarloaf approached Greg (the original owner of AZ) with the idea of the summit while they were working on some advertising deals on the AZ website. Brad's prior job was director of marketing at Snowshoe, WV and he gave a couple of screaming deals to passionate skiers from either a ski club, message board or something of the sort in the Mid-Atlantic. The same basic kind of people as what we have on AZ. Snowshoe is not hurting for business at all. It routinely finishes as one of the top ten busiest ski resorts in the East, sometimes top 5. However, Brad recognized the word of mouth marketing value in getting a bunch of true die hard skiers to come to a mountain, ski and party down for the weekend and then go home and tell all their friends what a good time they had. That's exactly what happens when we all show up at Sugarloaf for the summit. Facebook, twitter, AZ all get lit up with posts and stories about the fun going down at the Loaf and it continues for many days after the event with people posting pictures and trip reports.

So, in essence, the Sugarloaf summit being such a great price isn't fully about putting heads in beds and asses on chairlifts. It's about the perceived word of mouth marketing benefit Sugarloaf receives from all of us going there.

Attempts to negotiate similar pricing at other ski resorts have not come close because they don't have similar marketing strategies.

Last edited: