• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huntah sold to Peak Resorts

ScottySkis

yeggous

I hope so but I think you have to buy a multi season pass to ski or snowboard at others good plans now thinking of pass for next year.http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=11113102

What they did when they bought Wildcat was to include it on most passes, and gave others the chance to upgrade. I'd expect something similar. They'll probably just include them in the Nor'Easter pass going forward and give current Peak Resorts pass holders a chance to upgrade.

As a Granite Pass holder I am trying to care but I don't. Hunter is far away and this purchase is unlikely to impact me in any substantive way. I doubt any more New Yorkers are going to make the drive to New Hampshire as a result of this.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I hope it helps the town, sux that anything related to the ski Mtn (T shirts, mugs etc) was only available at the Mtn. Maybe now the townspeople can get a little too! I always thought that if the Slutsky's could put a gas station and general store on the Mtn property they would of. The town of Hunter really has nothing right now.

Jully

What they did when they bought Wildcat was to include it on most passes, and gave others the chance to upgrade. I'd expect something similar. They'll probably just include them in the Nor'Easter pass going forward and give current Peak Resorts pass holders a chance to upgrade.

As a Granite Pass holder I am trying to care but I don't. Hunter is far away and this purchase is unlikely to impact me in any substantive way. I doubt any more New Yorkers are going to make the drive to New Hampshire as a result of this.

I think it's really targeted at a combination to the Mount Snow folk. Maybe they'll offer another option for PA pass holders to link up to snow and Hunter.

I think it's a great financial move for Peaks. Won't impact the Boston crowd much, but should hopefully stabilize the company even further to ensure Wildcat has plenty of initial snowmaking $$.

BenedictGomez

Some takeaways I took from the conference call:

- Hunter gets about 275k to 300k skier visits a year

- Hunter spends about $600k in CapEx/year, but SKIS thinks it should be closer to $1M, so expect a bit more spending muscle

- SKIS doesn't think Hunter needs more snowmaking

- Prices will not be increased this season, basically NOTHING will be altered this season, as the "cusp" of the season is upon us

- Deal expected to close by Christmas

- Family who owned Hunter did so for ~50 years (I didn't realize it was the original owners still)

- Sale was essentially an off-market transaction (which I thought surprising)

- Hunters margin is roughly 22% and SKIS thinks they can boost this to the mid-to-high 20s.

- They'll drop an 8k soon with full financial details

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it's really targeted at a combination to the Mount Snow folk. Maybe they'll offer another option for PA pass holders to link up to snow and Hunter.

I think it's a great financial move for Peaks. Won't impact the Boston crowd much, but should hopefully stabilize the company even further to ensure Wildcat has plenty of initial snowmaking $$.

You hit the nail on the head IMHO. It will drive traffic to Snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some takeaways I took from the conference call:

- Hunter gets about 275k to 300k skier visits a year

- Hunter spends about $600k in CapEx/year, but SKIS thinks it should be closer to $1M, so expect a bit more spending muscle

- SKIS doesn't think Hunter needs more snowmaking

- Prices will not be increased this season, basically NOTHING will be altered this season, as the "cusp" of the season is upon us

- Deal expected to close by Christmas

- Family who owned Hunter did so for ~50 years (I didn't realize it was the original owners still)

- Sale was essentially an off-market transaction (which I thought surprising)

- Hunters margin is roughly 22% and SKIS thinks they can boost this to the mid-to-high 20s.

- They'll drop an 8k soon with full financial details

Very interesting. And a 22% margin in such a tough industry is impressive.

SkiRay

Wow. That is big news. Having grown up skiing there and meeting the family that ran the mountain for many years, its great that they have had the opportunity to get out when they can. Hunter is a great mountain when it is not crowded. Otherwise, the traffic on the slopes are more than dangerous. Funny, my wife said to me earlier - Mt Snow is the Hunter of Vermont but, bigger. Not that either mountain is bad. We love them both but, the crowds and the lack of ski/ride etiquette have of craving smaller less traveled ski areas. We do go to Killington but, in the Spring when it's often less crowded and we have been to other places that too get big crowds but, travel there on the less busy days. It will be good for Hunter I think and great for Mount Snow. Now, if Peaks can cut some glades and expand the terrain at Hunter, then that might help the mountain a bit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You hit the nail on the head IMHO. It will drive traffic to Snow.

Definitely

Bold move to corner NYC market share.

Compelling for their Pocono properties a bit too though.

I'm with Yeggous in that it does little to excite me as a granite pass holder other than the potential for additional capital coming our way. Could work in the opposite direction as well if this over leverages Peaks.

I do want to do a Catskills trip at least once, so the lift ticket savings may finally get me there, but price has never really been the reason I haven't gone there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
DMC has been fairly critical of Hunters management in recent years.

To be honest, it is at least a little sad seeing the original family sell the place. Hunter might have been the last "major" original family owned ski area in the Northeast that's been sold off.

Outside of the payday I'm sure the Slutskys are a bit bummed out about this. Generations of family memories tied up in the mountain.

x10003q

Outside of the payday I'm sure the Slutskys are a bit bummed out about this. Generations of family memories tied up in the mountain.

I would guess the children of Orville and Izzy decided that they actually wanted to retire and not work until they reached their 90s. They might be in their 60s or 70s.