• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Pass goes off sale 4-10-23 (sold out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdskier

I get it, but to have to purchase your pass to get the best price before the season is over is another way that makes it difficult to get new people into the sport.

True...although I'm also not sure if "new skiers" is really a target demographic of the Indy Pass.

KustyTheKlown

That's VT, not Indy. Too many of you damn NYers over there that don't bother coming to NH. ;)

yea, thats def part of it. i like skiing in nh and maine. i skied nh 5 days and maine 3 days this season. maine would have been 8 days if we didn't get grinched over xmas. but i had that convo with more than one person on a lift who were shocked that a nyc'er came east to nh

cdskier

It SHOULD BE a target demographic of EVERY ski pass...

I'm not sure I agree. The Indy is rather unique and shouldn't really be treated like a standalone season pass. Not something I would personally recommend to someone just entering the sport.

AdironRider

Yeah the idea that you need to have a season pass to start skiing doesn't jive with me.

That mentality certainly leads to lots of negative effects, ala very high priced day tickets.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If it works for someone geographically, I recommend Indy for two types of people. The skier who only wants to get out 10 - 15 times a year affordably or someone who has a pass already at an individual mountain and is looking add variety at places that aren't crowded, major destinations.

I fall in the later category. Gunstock plus Indy works perfect for my family. I also live in a great geographic location for Indy. Pat's, Black, Cannon and Waterville are all easy day trips. Magic, S6 and Bolton are all also doable from my location for a day trip.

jimmywilson69

I'm not sure I agree. The Indy is rather unique and shouldn't really be treated like a standalone season pass. Not something I would personally recommend to someone just entering the sport.
I guess I can get on board with this, but it also wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah the idea that you need to have a season pass to start skiing doesn't jive with me.

That mentality certainly leads to lots of negative effects, ala very high priced day tickets.

I agree but that's the current model that has been adopted industry wide. Its very unhealthy to newbies, but if that's how they want to roll, they should be offering something for new people to get hooked on the sport.

KustyTheKlown

an old colleague never skied, but now he's a bit obsessed and he is getting his young kids into it. they are on long island. even dad is a blue groomer skier at most, and he's wary of driving more than 3 hours. i tried to steer him to indy this year, and i know he ended up paying a lot more than indy would have been for the 5-10 days the family skied at places like windham and mountain creek. he def missed the cutoff this year, but his family is the perfect example of one that is appropriate to only have indy. the rinky dink local places are perfect for them.

most families with that scenario don't know indy exists.

cdskier

an old colleague never skied, but now he's a bit obsessed and he is getting his young kids into it. they are on long island. even dad is a blue groomer skier at most, and he's wary of driving more than 3 hours. i tried to steer him to indy this year, and i know he ended up paying a lot more than indy would have been for the 5-10 days the family skied at places like windham and mountain creek. he def missed the cutoff this year, but his family is the perfect example of one that is appropriate to only have indy. the rinky dink local places are perfect for them.

A 3 hour range from LI is pretty limiting. There's only 4 or maybe 5 Indy resorts in that range (and I think the Berkshire East option is the one that's going to be over 3 hours likely so is a bit of a stretch if the range is 3 hours). So that gives him a max of 8-10 possible days on Indy without expanding his driving range. That's a tricky scenario and I could see it being tough to convince someone to get the Indy pass for that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depending on the time of day and day of the week, sometimes 3 hours from Long Island is...still Long Island.

Ain't that the truth. I spent most of last summer working in NYC with the bulk of that in Brooklyn. I could be in South Brooklyn and it could take 2 hours just to make it to CT.

Generally speaking I really like Long Island. There are some amazing towns and scenery. But man, just like Cape Cod, I could never live there as a skier. Just too damn difficult to escape to the mountains. I've got a friend who takes the Port Jeff ferry every weekend and vacation to go to his place in Killington. I have no idea how he does it. What a pain in the ass.

Zand

I used to go down almost annually for Bruins Islanders games at the Coliseum when it cost like 15 bucks for a ticket there. Honestly never really had any huge problems with traffic on weekdays or winter weekends. Now that the Isles are in a new building and theyre kind of competitive again, that ship has sailed.

But I finally saw the worst of it when I went to a wedding a few years ago on July 4th weekend out on the north fork, ferries all sold out, and probably 12 hours round trip driving somewhere that is about 90 miles from me as the crow flies.

For the record I hate 95% of Cape Cod. Wellfleet and Truro are tolerable. The rest...no. I'm actually big on the southern Jersey Shore in the summer. Just make sure you go south of AC.

Killingtime

I still run into people who claim to be avid skiers and they are not aware the Indy Pass exists.

heiusa

Ain't that the truth. I spent most of last summer working in NYC with the bulk of that in Brooklyn. I could be in South Brooklyn and it could take 2 hours just to make it to CT.

Generally speaking I really like Long Island. There are some amazing towns and scenery. But man, just like Cape Cod, I could never live there as a skier. Just too damn difficult to escape to the mountains. I've got a friend who takes the Port Jeff ferry every weekend and vacation to go to his place in Killington. I have no idea how he does it. What a pain in the ass.
When you get off the ferry in Bridgeport, its only 4 hrs to Killington. I like the ferry but it is not cheap $$$

deadheadskier

Staff member
When you get off the ferry in Bridgeport, its only 4 hrs to Killington. I like the ferry but it is not cheap $$$

Sure, but between the ferry ride and lining up for it, it's gotta be a 5+ hour commitment each weekend, one way. I just don't have that kinda time and more importantly, patience.

I don't know how skiers down there do it. If I absolutely had to work in metro NYC, I'd try and live in Westchester or Fairfield counties.

cdskier

Sure, but between the ferry ride and lining up for it, it's gotta be a 5+ hour commitment each weekend, one way. I just don't have that kinda time and more importantly, patience.

I don't know how skiers down there do it. If I absolutely had to work in metro NYC, I'd try and live in Westchester or Fairfield counties.

I live in NJ and up until COVID was driving 5 hours each way every weekend to Sugarbush. Since then I've had more flexibility with remote work, so I've basically just stayed in VT most of the winter the past 3 years. Not sure what I'll do if I have to go back to the office on a more regular basis. I've now realized how absolutely exhausting doing that drive every weekend was. I'm far more relaxed and less stressed without doing that drive all the time. I know Kusty made the argument that on a Friday night you'd be sitting around often anyway, but to me there's a big difference between sitting on my couch vs sitting in a car driving. I'm at the point now where even I don't know how I did it on a regular basis for as long as I did.

deadheadskier

Staff member
More passes become available on 10/10 plus they are adding 50 new partners globally.

Will be interesting who they add. Speculation is Whaleback and Dartmouth here in the East as apparently Indy made an ultimatum for them to drop another partnership they had; no boundaries I think. So maybe they go to full Indy from Allied.

Burke is who I would really like to see go full Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.