• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

King Pine!

catsup948

The family will be staying in Ossipee for New Years and my son and I want to ski. I have zero interest in paying good money to ski very limited terrain next week. I'm looking at both King Pine night skiing on Liftopia and possibly grabbing some vouchers from Mountain Sports Club to ski during the day.

What is my best option in these troubled times? I've never skied King Pine before.

hrstrat57

Love King Pine.

Big surprise is King Pine has one of the steepest trails around, Pitch Pine tho we'll need some snow to get it open.

Small vertical, big fun. Milt's Place lodge on the backside used to have decent pizza, you can bypass the main lot and park there if it is open - like having your own private little ski area.

My kids used to love that place!

dlague

We went there about 15 years ago and never returned. It is small - it's great if your kids are starting out and/or do not ski much advanced terrain. There are a few steepish trails (nothing serious) that take about 15-30 seconds to go down if that. The rest is pretty much green trail material and I mean even the blue trails are very easy. At 350' vert, they make the most of it that is for sure. However, with the temps we have had, not sure what they will have open.

Definitely family oriented.

catsup948

My son is a pretty good skier for a 7 year old. He has only been out once this season so far. It's so close to the house I might just give night skiing a try. For 30 bucks total it's not a huge lose if it's limited.

Savemeasammy

When I'm skiing with my boys, it's more about the QT than the skiing itself. I'm sure your son will enjoy having Dad all to himself for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

My son is a pretty good skier for a 7 year old. He has only been out once this season so far. It's so close to the house I might just give night skiing a try. For 30 bucks total it's not a huge lose if it's limited.

True! Good to just get out!

dlague

King Pine is phenomenal for what it is. I can't say enough good things about it. If you can manage your expectations, and think of it as a different kind of skiing experience, you should be able to enjoy yourself. At the very least your kids will love it.

Night skiing is awesome - you'll have the front side of the hill almost to yourself (the back side - the more interesting side - is not open for night skiing).

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. dlague (whose comments are usually excellent!) - pine brule is quite steep, which is particularly surprising given King Pine's tiny size. Pine brule is very short which is maybe what makes it feel not "serious" - but the steepness is no joke. Pitch pine is almost as steep...

It is steep and a longer trail like that would be great. But it goes by fast. It did challenge our 5 and 6 year olds (now 20 and 21) back in the day but they figured it out quickly.

hrstrat57

OP my kids thought night skiing at King Pine was magical.

None of the steep stuff is illuminated tho but sounds like that is not your focus.

King Pine is wicked steep btw. I have never been there with Pine Brule open I expect it is similar plus you get the audience to watch your brilliant linked short swing magic turns. The runs are short at King Pine but the lifts are pretty quick and the memories will last long. There are multiple green circle meandering runs that the little ones like including opportunities to weave through well spaced trees too! Download the trail map you will see what I mean.

Enjoy!

https://www.kingpine.com/interactive-trail-map

yeggous

Bump.

I'm strongly considering hitting up King Pine for a couple of hours tonight on my way to North Conway. I have a few extra tickets to burn if anyone is interested in joining.

I could also be convinced to change course to Shawnee Peak. It's an extra 30 minutes drive, but is open an hour later. Likewise I have tickets to burn there.

Edd

Dress warm, man. Never mind vacation week, the temps alone would keep me away, barring stellar conditions.

I hit Gunstock this morning with a high of 13. I used a mask and toe warmers and was ok. 10 degrees colder and I'm not so sure. Although, when I've skied in extreme cold in the past, the dry snow led to very nice skiing.