• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are the overhead scanners on the Mass Pike?

Bene288

Anyone see these? They look like the express lane EZ pass scanners but they're over random spots of the pike. Am I going to be getting a few speeding tix in the mail?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Was it this? ...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/01/04/massachusetts-turnpike-open-road-tolling-weston/

pike3.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would imagine in 10-20 years most all tolls will be like that.

They should have done it for every lane in Hampton, not just a couple. Maine needs this BIG TIME for the York tolls.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Just get EZ-Pass and issue solved. I still don't understand why people don't get ezpass. There is no extra charge and most times in ny, there is a discount. if you worry about being tracked, get over it, you still can be via your plate. Gotta love when some moron pulls into the EZ-Pass lane without one and looks like a Deer in headlights.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most people I know who don't have them simply don't use toll roads enough. I bought my wife one about 3 years ago. I mainly bought it because sometimes I use her car and would always forget she didn't have it.

I think she's racked up about $5 in tolls in those three years. I paid $15 for the unit.

prsboogie

In Mass they are free. Loaded 50 on it and roll. I have one in both cars linked to one account. No excuse for Mass residents not to have one. You can load as little as 20 on it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I forget the minimum in NH. I have mine set up for $30 and then it automatically reloads from my CC.

Bene288

Just get EZ-Pass and issue solved. I still don't understand why people don't get ezpass. There is no extra charge and most times in ny, there is a discount. if you worry about being tracked, get over it, you still can be via your plate. Gotta love when some moron pulls into the EZ-Pass lane without one and looks like a Deer in headlights.

I've had EZ pass for 7 or 8 years. Just had heard nothing about switching the pike to open tolls.

Tin

Does western Mass still use helicopters for radar? A couple summers ago I was coming around a bend there was a helicopter just hovering about 150-200' over the highway, I saw this again last winter in a similar spot.

#TunaThoughts

steamboat1

EZ Pass automatically adjusts the amount they charge when reloading your account according to how much you use it. I've had EZ Pass a long time & the amount they charge my account fluctuates between $25 to $50. At least that's the way it works in NY.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does western Mass still use helicopters for radar? A couple summers ago I was coming around a bend there was a helicopter just hovering about 150-200' over the highway, I saw this again last winter in a similar spot.

#TunaThoughts

Sure it wasn't an exercise out of the air national guard base in Westfield?

I've been lucky a few times to be driving the Pike and have an F16 or whatever they are today take off. They appear to be only a hundred feet or so off the ground when they fly over the Pike. Pretty cool

wa-loaf

These are not for tolls. There is one set up near the Weston state police barracks. I think it might be more for traffic tracking. Maybe using transponders to better tell how quickly traffic is flowing?