• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today's lessons.

ceo

Today's lessons:
1. Wear a helmet.
2. No matter how good a skier you are, eventually you're going to find yourself on a trail you have no business being on (particularly at an area you've never been to before, in this case Jay Peak). Recognize it and get out, even if you have to shoulder skis and hike.
3. WEAR. A. FUCKING. HELMET.
1350dac354ca6a95dd6de873521c7c68.jpg

This happened in a steep little woods shot skier's left of Northwest Passage, which was pretty scraped off. Caught my ski on something, ejected and went for a headfirst slide on my back, which was stopped by a convenient large boulder.
I'm pretty much fine, though my neck and back are a little stiff. Got checked out at first aid and I don't have a concussion or an actual neck injury. Bought a new helmet, same model since I know it works. :-/

Last edited:

Terry

Another lesson. Does anyone know the skiers code anymore? My friend Wylie Coyote was taken out yesterday by a skier from behind. Kids buddy had an attitude and said it was his right to ski as fast and reckless as he wanted to. He almost got a beat down by a group of witnesses. Hope Wylies shoulder is ok but was pretty sore when he left.

prsboogie

Another lesson. Does anyone know the skiers code anymore?

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: Welcome to America where you don't have to give a fuck about anyone but yourself and what you want to do and when something happens it is the other guys fault! It slowly creeping on mountain, I'm seeing more and more of the attitude you described every time I go out.

jimk

"Bought a new helmet, same model since I know it works. :-/"

Dry humor and some fine New England stoicism here:smile:
Glad you're ok.

Smellytele

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: Welcome to America where you don't have to give a fuck about anyone but yourself and what you want to do and when something happens it is the other guys fault! It slowly creeping on mountain, I'm seeing more and more of the attitude you described every time I go out.

No different anywhere in the world.

Tin

short answer: No

long answer: Welcome to america where you don't have to give a fuck about anyone but yourself and what you want to do and when something happens it is the other guys fault! It slowly creeping on mountain, i'm seeing more and more of the attitude you described every time i go out.

hey man! Screw you!

MadMadWorld

Today's lessons:
1. Wear a helmet.
2. No matter how good a skier you are, eventually you're going to find yourself on a trail you have no business being on (particularly at an area you've never been to before, in this case Jay Peak). Recognize it and get out, even if you have to shoulder skis and hike.
3. WEAR. A. FUCKING. HELMET.
1350dac354ca6a95dd6de873521c7c68.jpg

This happened in a steep little woods shot skier's left of Northwest Passage, which was pretty scraped off. Caught my ski on something, ejected and went for a headfirst slide on my back, which was stopped by a convenient large boulder.
I'm pretty much fine, though my neck and back are a little stiff. Got checked out at first aid and I don't have a concussion or an actual neck injury. Bought a new helmet, same model since I know it works. :-/

Those woods are pretty cozy and definitely get scraped off. You're very lucky

MG Skier

Wow, I never questioned when I started wearing one. Had a similar issue in the trees at Jay when my legs just quit on me and I kissed a tree. Glad you and your head are alright.

Smellytele

I skied with some people yesterday that I am trying to convince that helmets are the way to go. They are easy to pick out in a crowd of skiers though.

bdfreetuna

Helmets have been mostly useful for headbutting branches in the woods in my experience thus far.

But mountain biking I've done several endos > helmet straight into a tree trunk. I'm sure I would have cracked my skull at least twice without one.

I go without a helmet *occasionally* on a super warm spring day... but I prefer to wear one. It gives me much more confidence, especially off-trail.

Regarding DIN / bindings, I think the average skier could get away cranking it up a couple digits. Depends how heavy you are and how aggressively you ski... but it's no fun doing a double eject every time you hit something weird.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Two years ago I had an encounter with gak under a snowgun. Not sure what happened exactly (other then I ending up in a pile on the ground), but I now have proof that the rear tip of a teleski can whack you in the head. Huge helmet dent. Wind was knock out of me from landing on my chest, but I was fine.

To me the scariest thing about tele is that skis don't release. (I know some do, mine don't).

wtcobb

Damn! Glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing, and good work replacing it right away. I took a knocker on the top of my old helmet (low branch where I *thought* I ducked low enough, also at Jay) that was borderline, but better safe than sorry.

rocks860

I took a shot to the head from one of the handles on the Inverness lift last weekend at sugarbush (didn't realize how low they were). Thank god I was wearing the helmet as that shit stung like a moterfucker even with it on. Without it I probably would have been in a heap on the ground.