• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

Cornhead

This site, mountain forecast, seems to be over optimistic from what I remember from last year, but if right K could have 9.4" at elevation by Friday afternoon.
1477488227803.jpg

Tin

This site, mountain forecast, seems to be over optimistic from what I remember from last year, but if right K could have 9.4" at elevation by Friday afternoon.
View attachment 20909

Two different NWS forecasts have them 5-10" and 6"+. Only time it will mix on the ridge will be between 2-4am Friday. Down lower it could be mostly rain. I'm definitely heading up Friday am to poach the mighty Powerline.

14724393_1230864970318735_4550414418703795578_n.png

Jully

I am amazed at how crowds form like that. It is a triple and not that fast and there is about 600 vert to ski with a straight shot down Rime.

That is made worse by the park, but even still it is fascinating how people can crowd up a 600 vert trail...

SIKSKIER

What I found interesting is there is more natural snow at K than at A-basin and Loveland.Looks like better temps too as K is blowing TTB right now and those 2 are shut down.

dlague

What I found interesting is there is more natural snow at K than at A-basin and Loveland.Looks like better temps too as K is blowing TTB right now and those 2 are shut down.

The northeast is getting the better weather by far! Too warm here this week. No promising signs of colder weather until next week. We plan on skiing this weekend but I would imagine that they will need cold weather soon. I am glad for you all now that Killington is open.

bdfreetuna

Just on Superstar though right? And that won't be open for the general public until after the race?

dlague

A Basin is still open! Not much traffic but they are open.

abasincam1 (1).jpg

Attachments

• abasincam1.jpg
    abasincam1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 221

Smellytele

How about now?No thanks guys.I counted at least 50 at one point.

That was the park. Only went down that way 2 0r 3 times today. There was hardly any lines today because all these park rats just stayed up there and walked back up to get more hits. I skied 10-3 today and they were blowing all day. Bumps formed nicely, when you could see they were fun. Never waited in line for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Last year on a early season weekend there was a 20 minute wait. Good opening day.

machski

Just on Superstar though right? And that won't be open for the general public until after the race?

Correct and Killington apparently confirmed as much on a FB post. They also mentioned SS is not "retail snow". The density and moisture content is being made to WC standards already apparently. Mike S even mentioned they would need some time to till it and change it back to "retail snow" after the race.