Global warming - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Intolerance to other opinions such as "the debate is other" and "its not a matter of if but when" is not science.Period.Our scientific discovories are always evolving and adjusting our previously held "this is the absolute answer" attitude.Do I have the answers?No,but when people use these shut down tactics they lose all credibility.Science is never absolute.Especially and almost always when politics get in the middle of it.Jeez,keep your minds open and lose the intolerance.All that does is polarize the topic at hand.

SIKSKIER

I think it's not fully forthcoming to state that there are entrenched, monied interests involved in attempting to minimize the issue of climate change in the minds of the public without recognizing the inverse.

Let me count the ways the global pseudo-government known as the UN benefits from implementing these kinds of agendas..

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I think it's not fully forthcoming to state that there are entrenched, monied interests involved in attempting to minimize the issue of climate change in the minds of the public without recognizing the inverse.

Let me count the ways the global pseudo-government known as the UN benefits from implementing these kinds of agendas..

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld
    There literally is no realistic 'inverse'.

This is the problem I have with so many climate change deniers is that they are willing to believe that there is some secret cabal of scientists, politicians, and bureaucrats who's goal is apparently to consolidate power somehow by pushing the world towards a cleaner more sustainable future while not acknowledging the incredibly obvious and transparent financial benefit that fossil fuel generating countries and companies have reaped from denying climate change. The financial motivation for denying climate change is orders of magnitude higher than any imagined motivating factors for pushing for climate change.

Occam really needs a shave.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Your expectation that climate models should have been able to represent the last 20 years of atmospheric temperature (or any 20-year period for that matter) testifies to your ignorance of climate models and what they can and cannot do, hence the idea to discuss both of them together.
    So how long do the computerized climate models get to be wrong before one decides that perhaps the science isn't quite so infallible; is it longer than one human lifetime? Because that sure would be wonderfully convenient.

HINT: That was a rhetorical question

Quote Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
    Just like old times.... same ad hominem attacks.
    You know what else is far more akin to a religion than a science? Becoming emotionally upset by a topic.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    But given the amount of nonsense that he posted over the years pushing climate change denial, I do have to give BenedictGomez some credit for saying that he now believes that earth is getting warmer. That's almost progressive of him
    Given that I've never said the earth hasn't been in a warming period, it's obvious that either you've never actually read my posts on this issue over the years, or you have me confused with someone else.

I do enjoy your use of the word, "denial" though, I love it when people who believe in man-made Global Warming use that word.

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Intolerance to other opinions such as "the debate is other" and "its not a matter of if but when" is not science. Period..
    This (so very obviously this).

I've never seen any other branch of science so emphatically concerned with not solely presenting it's data and findings, but with shutting down and silencing all opposing voices.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
    Occam really needs a shave.
    You seriously cannot think of ways in which various leaders have used Climate Change to both increase power as well as money?

I really don't think you're trying very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
    This is the problem I have with so many climate change deniers is that they are willing to believe that there is some secret cabal of scientists, politicians, and bureaucrats who's goal is apparently to consolidate power somehow by pushing the world towards a cleaner more sustainable future while not acknowledging the incredibly obvious and transparent financial benefit that fossil fuel generating countries and companies have reaped from denying climate change. The financial motivation for denying climate change is orders of magnitude higher than any imagined motivating factors for pushing for climate change.
    I have acknowledged the financial motivation for climate change education and even propaganda designed to minimize the topic in the minds of the public.

Yet you want to mock the idea that "cabal of scientists, politicians, and bureaucrats who's goal is apparently to consolidate power" exists in the United Nations?

These two truths do exist and neither one affects the actual truth of the matter, which is independent of either side's propaganda or motivations and can only be discovered by the layperson -- perhaps -- through a clear lens of objectivity.

I don't claim to possess that lens but at least I'm willing to recognize that.
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Whiteface [February 12]

There are certainly members of the loony left with their own agenda, however, suggesting that there is a global conspiracy by scientists might make you member of the looney right. Certainly anytime you are making predictions about the future, there are a wide range of possible outcomes. The worst are apocalyptic, make headlines, and cause many to roll their eyes, including responsible scientists. However, in any kind of analysis, one looks at the probability of something occurring and how adverse the outcome is. Driving drunk is "frowned upon" despite the odds of your killing or injuring yourself or someone else actually being fairly low. Since the odds are low, why worry about it? Obviously, because the worst case outcome is so horrendous. Those that argue against doing anything substantive about climate change, put all of us at risk, offering up that "well, nothing bad has happened yet". It's a bet that the majority of the scientists are wrong.

I suppose pointing to one of numerous examples of people in academia and science would also put me in the loony right.

Dr. Judith Curry retires from Georgia Tech

"Research and other professional activities are professionally rewarded only if they are channeled in certain directions approved by a politicized academic establishment — funding, ease of getting your papers published, getting hired in prestigious positions, appointments to prestigious committees and boards, professional recognition, etc."

The cost of taking action should also be a variable when considering probability and adverse effects.
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Our scientific discovories are always evolving and adjusting our previously held "this is the absolute answer" attitude.
    The context matters quite a bit. Take evolution, for example. We are routinely increasing our knowledge in the field, but nobody can argue that the overall theory is without merit. So I guess it really depends on what level you are looking at.

Thread Information