• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 2/15-2/16

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Thu Feb 15th & Fri feb 16th

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions: Powder/Crud Cold and windy!

Trip Report: My family and I arrived at Mt snow around 11am on Thu am. We check in unpacked and I booted and got off at the tumbleweed chair. my wife and the kids headed to the pool.
Once off the tumbleweed chair I headed over to the Grand summit express so I could get over to the north face. Once I got over there I was not suprised to see it closed due to high winds. The only chair running was the VERY slow Ego Ally which brought you 3/4 the way to the summit. I headed right over to Sundance and found myself alone in untracked powder. I skied this run for about an hour until I felt the need for some pitch. Hard to find pitch on the main face of Mt Snow but Yard Sale had great crud bumps and a good pitch but way to short of a run. I took a few more runs on Ego Ally and also hiked over Pats Pitch which was fun.
Ended the day around 3:30. Had dinner at Gringos and headed to bed early hoping for the winds to die down on Fri so they could open the NF.

Fri 16th
Got a call from Greg around 8:30 saying that he was in West Dover and thinking about heading over to Magic since the winds were still blowing and it would be a better option to take advantage of the sweet conditions. I understood and said I am going to stay at Mt Snow since my kids were in ski school.
At ten I headed over to the clock tower to see who else from AZ was heading up. A few mins later Roark arrived and I told him Greg and a few others headed up to Magic to get the goods. Roark with pass in hand decided to follow suit waited around for another five min to see if who else was around but found no one.
so I headed back over to the dreaded Ego Ally. Took a few more runs down
ego ally/yardsale and headed over to Learning area where my wife and kids were skiing off the Discovery Shuttle. My 3 year old did not like the high winds so we decided to put her in daycare and ski with my 8 yearold. We headed up the Discovery Shuttle again and skied that a few times when I noticed the Grand Summit Express starting up as well as the Canyon Express. We headed right over to the Canyon Express and skied Standard. My daughter was doing great making some nice turns and always looking to take the steepest part of the trail down:-D
The Grand Summit Express started calling out to me so I had to say good by to my wife and daughter and headed over. The top of that lift was way cold with very high winds and as I got off the lift I noticed ropes still up over on the north face:cry: I decided to take High traverse over to one more time andski back down to my wife and daughter. On my way down one more time I came up on a snowboarder at hard left turn across the hill just as I was passing him.....Boom....I was skiiing pretty fast and we just blasted each other, total yard sale. Once I realized my brain still worked I ask him if he was ok inwhich he responded yes and sorry for cutting you off. I apoligized as well and sat on the side of the trail for another 5 min to get myself togeather. My knee was a bit stiff and bruised so headed down to ski with my daughter.
After lunch l felt a bit better so I headed back up the summit where I found Upper Ledge.Sweet...lots of fun and great snow. I skied that trail then over to yard sale and back down over and over again to 4 pm inwhich I called it a day.
Headed home around 5. Nice trip real sad I could not get over to the NF but the snow was sweet.

MountSnow2-15-07010.jpg

MountSnow2-15-07005.jpg

MountSnow2-15-07009.jpg

MountSnow2-15-07007.jpg

MountSnow2-15-07008.jpg

MountSnow2-15-07006.jpg

2knees

ledge looks sweet! fun trail, glad you were able to get up to the summit at least, even if the north face stayed closed.

Greg

Staff member
ledge looks sweet! fun trail, glad you were able to get up to the summit at least, even if the north face stayed closed.

Indeed. Glad to see you were able to grab some quality natural terrain skiing. Hope you're feeling better.

Newpylong

How new is that trail? I never new it was there.

Been there forever. Inbetween Upper Lodge and Upper Choke. Nice narrow, natural run! Looks great in those shots. Choke is similar...

There also used to be an Upper Overbook which has been fenced off and has grown in. It was accessed off Upper Canyon/ Committed. Heard they swapped the land off for something, who knows.

roark

Upper ledge is great. esp if you stay skiers left and don't know what's coming up ;)

bvibert

Staff member
The conditions look good. I'm sorry that we weren't able to meet up, hopefully sometime this season. Sucks about your knee, I hope it heals up soon!

reefer

Just missed......

We must have just missed you. Glad you got some turns in. The North Face rocked! Maybe another time. Keith.