• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aggravation

kingslug

Piece #1 - none of us presumably short of Kingslug himself know what his wife's occupation is, so for anyone to be speculating that his report of a 75% hit to his wife's income and a 50% to his with a move to Utah is just pure guessing on their part

Piece #2 - for all we know, part of the lifestyle that Kingslug and his wife live, which may be very important to them, may be predicated on earning levels that are quite a bit above just earning levels that would allow them to move to Utah. We don't know how that part of the equation ties into their lifestyle happiness

Piece #3 - The folks commentating in much of this discussion aren't Kingslug and thus really are just speculating based on their own opinion, an opinion which may very well be 100% from their own point of view, but may be completely off base with Kingslug's point of view, and since it's him and his wife that would be making the possible move, that's the only real opinion that matters in this case

Thank you..thats exactly right.

Jcb890

I have been looking out West also... Colorado, Oregon, SLC, Montana and Seattle areas.

I have found the job search a bit tough, options aren't seemingly great. Then again, job market will begin to pick up now with it being February. November - February the job market usually is more stagnant.

We've also toyed with the idea of quitting our careers, moving and opening up a small restaurant/breakfast place/beer+food.

AdironRider

Regardless of location, more millionaires are made starting their own business than working for someone else. You should do it.

cdskier

Regardless of location, more millionaires are made starting their own business than working for someone else. You should do it.

Probably more bankruptcies too...but of course that's where the saying about "no risk, no reward" comes into play.

benski

You'd be surprised though, the world's changing. Twenty or thirty years ago nearly all the hedge funds were consolidated in a few small areas. Now they're located all over the dang place. But yeah, there definitely are niche jobs and/or jobs for which you know you could never "get" or replace somewhere else, but that's probably irrespective of any particular given geography
Especially in SLC which has a lot of banking, and fewer resident competing for it. Also New York is just so expensive, the saving on real estate if you move out west would cover a lot of your lost income. For renters, even Seattle is much cheeper than New York, though I struggle to find statistics that don't do thinks like list Hoboken as separate from NYC or use the Censuses Definition of the NYC Metro area which stretch into PA.

benski

Teton County Wyoming has the highest per capita income of any county in the US from all the hedge fund guys based out here.

"based?" The second home owners in Jackson claim residency in Wyoming, becouse Wyoming gets tax revenue from mines, not residents income. the 2010 census says there per capita income is only $42,224, lower than the us average of $58,030. The IRS gives them a much higher income becouse they count the second home owners unlike the census.

Edd

"Aggravation"

When everyone around you just can't stop bitching about the weather. Jesus suck it up and make the best of it!
Looks like the thread has moved on from the weather. Maybe you could read it instead of exclaiming “Jesus!”

JimG.

Staff member
Looks like the thread has moved on from the weather. Maybe you could read it instead of exclaiming “Jesus!”

I read most threads, this one included. Sorry if my use of the name Jesus offended anyone that was certainly unintentional.

Reading about millionaires moving west or having second homes there and about folks who are pissed at eastern weather but who can't pull the trigger and move there whatever the sacrifices is only slightly less aggravating.

Not trying to rag on my buddy Ira so maybe I will stop reading.

Edd

I read most threads, this one included. Sorry if my use of the name Jesus offended anyone that was certainly unintentional.

Reading about millionaires moving west or having second homes there and about folks who are pissed at eastern weather but who can't pull the trigger and move there whatever the sacrifices is only slightly less aggravating.

Not trying to rag on my buddy Ira so maybe I will stop reading.

Skiing in the NE is tough. Trying to balance work/family crap and still get good days on the hill is a bitch.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Skiing in the NE is tough. Trying to balance work/family crap and still get good days on the hill is a bitch.

I can't disagree. But life in general is tough and getting tougher for most every day.

I guess the best way to say it is that if we are so concerned about the skiing weather and forecast that life is better for us here than for most people.

bdfreetuna

Thank you Edd I like to take our Savior's name seriously too.

Anyway -- go skiing. Your fault if you don't have fun because you didn't go skiing. I should have considered that more often in December/January when it was cold as hell.

Here's a psycho/spiritual ying yang I'm about to drop on you:

Mindset of abundance = Counting your blessings

Positive mindset FTW

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
We've also toyed with the idea of quitting our careers, moving and opening up a small restaurant/breakfast place/beer+food.

A very high risk investment . I started a service business in 2008 ...perfect timing LOL. Of all the clients I have restaurants are the most difficult to get money out of and many have failed . I have ways outside of court getting paid but insist on COD with restaurants . The one exception is a niche type California Burrito place .

Take the money you would have invested in a Restaurant and buy an income property and get a part time job. There is no 40hr weeks being self employed it follows you home . That being said there is some freedom to cherry pick ski days .....In the words of Carl Spackler "So I've got that going for me which is nice "

Well wishes !

VTKilarney

Getting this thread back on track, rather than engaging in the gratuitous button pushing, the tough thing about running a restaurant or inn is that you will have VERY little time to hit the slopes. Both of those businesses require a lot of hours to be successful. Even then they are very tough to make a decent living at.

BenedictGomez

A very high risk investment .

A buddy of mine does commercial real estate loans in Florida. I believe he once told me something ridiculous like almost 70% of restaurant start-ups fail. Though he also mentioned that more people that have absolutely no idea how to run a business (or even cook) get into it the restaurant business than you would think.

VTKilarney

A buddy of mine does commercial real estate loans in Florida. I believe he once told me something ridiculous like almost 70% of restaurant start-ups fail. Though he also mentioned that more people that have absolutely no idea how to run a business (or even cook) get into it the restaurant business than you would think.

In Vermont, I was told by a loan officer that restaurants and small town general stores are two of their biggest risks. Both businesses attract owners who have minimal business experience and no experience in the industry.

kingslug

Interesting evolution of this thread. I guess if and when the time comes I can make the move and the Mrs is good with it..we will. For now I do make the best of it, ski most weekends until its really over, go out west as much as I can. It's just a bit..aggravating..LOL..

Hawk

Life is a series of choices and everyone's path is not defined at the beginning of the journey. I find it crazy sometimes how some of my long time friends from home are so unhappy. The constantly lament and b*tch about not being able to ski anymore or having bad conditions when they go. These are the same people that took on really demanding jobs, a wife that does 0 for work, have multiple kids, put them all in sports that are not conducive to skiing and became mostly sedentary and gave up on working out outdoors. I mean these are the choices they made. You really have to own it when you give your life up to your wife and kids.

I will fully confess. We did not choose to not have kids but it turns out that those were the cards we were dealt. Now that I am 50 I can look back and say it was not the worst thing. It has totally set us up financially not having those huge costs. When I took my job I slowly but surely made my company cater to my skiing addiction. I have actually turned down a raise and negotiated an additional week of vacation. I work my ass off to get things done timely so when I bang out on power days, they can't bitch. Not saying this is for everyone but something to consider when walking your path.

John9

80 % of restaurants fail in 5 years. Moving is a good idea, just don't open a restaurant.