• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Binding covers

Buckeye Skier 1330

We've always had a pickup and just threw our skis in the back. We now have an SUV with a rack on top. Are binding covers something we definitely need to get or can we do without them for the rest of this year. I'm not even sure how much they cost, but I think they can't be too expensive.

tjf67

IF they are on top you dont need them. They cant hurt. If you have one of those racks that go into the hitch then you do.
Get a tully they are great. Except when you want to get your truck washed

trailertrash

depends on how much you care about your equipment. edges left uncovered will get surface rust faster. this is a pain if you tune your equipment regularly. i bag my stuff or keep it inside if i can. again, depends on how much you care.

Greg

Staff member
Buy a crappy ski bag and protect the entire ski. I'll leave my skis uncovered on the rack if I'm staying local and the roads are dry.

SKIQUATTRO

the binding covers wont hurt thats for sure, but for a few extra buck you can get a bag and protect the entire ski....i can throw my skis and poles in my bag and put it on the roof rack...I also have a Thule Mountineer Cargo box which is the best protection....

ctenidae

Half the fun of getting home is chipping ice and sand off your skis and letting them dry in teh tub, then spending two hours polishing the rust off your edges.

Seriously though, don't need them, but they don't hurt.

ajl50

The saran wrap that is sold in hardware stores - you know the kind that's used for like binding shipments would work fine. Get a ski bag for roof rack so the salt and junk doesn't get in there. Worth it.

jack97

nh and mass puts alot of salt on the highways. nights where the roads go thru a thaw/freeze, they will lay down the salt and sand.

best bet is to protect the whole ski; either a bag or a container that attaches to the roof rack.