• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I plan to put on all the apparel I bought during the summer, estimate how much weight I need to lose, and start conditioning

KustyTheKlown

I incorporate yoga/pilates/stretching. No classes or anything. I do all my exercising in front of the big screen in the man cave.

But yeah, a bunch of yoga poses, a bunch of core work (pilates) and just some regular stretches. Essential in my aging bod's opinion. Core is key!

open to home stuff. what exactly do you put on the tv?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely endorse Sean Vigue's routines if people are looking for something more formal. He has literally thousands of routines on YouTube. He mixes in some corny humor so it doesn't seem so serious. Also has Pilates routines

crank

open to home stuff. what exactly do you put on the tv?
Mostly action series or flicks. Shit like Jack Ryan or Fauda, Hard Knocks... I find I exercise longer that way and it's stuff my wife doesn't want to watch.

deadheadskier

Staff member
but dude, one toke on a marijuana joint and youre a menace to society for at least 10 hours

Yeah cannabis is a super serious narcotic!

Comparing booze to Cannabis is so laughable. The level of inebriation a drunk person has is a large order of magnitude greater than someone high on cannabis. Nevermind the recovery required after. I have had probably hundreds of hangovers in my life from booze. Never once have I been hungover from cannabis.

The other thing reefer madness anti-cannabis weenies like to argue is that it's a gateway drug to opioids. While that maybe true for some small amounts of people, in my experience the people I've known who have had issues with opioids typically have fallen into two categories. Either they became hooked from a prescription while recovering from an injury or they were drunks and alcohol was no longer intense enough. Someone nodding off from heroin is much more similar to someone getting blackout drunk than someone who is really stoned. I actually know plenty of people who have used cannabis to overcome alcohol or opioid addictions.

But man, those stoners sure are a menace on the slopes!!!!

KustyTheKlown

Cannabis is a gateway drug to cookies and maybe psychedelics, which are the least toxic drugs around.

Opioid addiction is a scourge but it seems to affect dumb rednecks in dumb redneck locations the most.

jimk

Non-smoker asking an honest question, what do you guys think about this theory?
the co-use of alcohol and cannabis is associated with additive performance impairment effects, higher and more frequent consumption levels, increased social and behavioral consequences such as driving while impaired, and greater likelihood of the experiencing comorbid substance use and mental health disorders.

KustyTheKlown

i would never make such a broadly conclusive statement because different people experience wildly different tolerance to cannabis.

people who use cannabis regularly dont get particularly inebriated from smoking/consuming.

alcohol is the way more dangerous part of the equation.

for inexperienced youths, drinking and smoking together can often cause 'the spins', which is a very unpleasant gravity defying trip to the toilet to vomit. that hasnt happened to me since i was like 18 years old.

thebigo

Drug overdose mortality by state.

Five lowest mortality rates: Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Texas, North Dakota
Five highest mortality rates: West Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky, Delaware

I suspect injury associated with the extractive industries are a major factor.

KustyTheKlown

yea, west virginia is almost a cliche at this point. its the subject of both of the big sackler tv series. hulu had one with michael keaton, and netflix (i think?) just did one with matt broderick. the broderick one's main character hurts himself working in an auto shop. the keaton one leans hard on the miners story tho.

ColdRain&Snow

I plan to use a vape this winter, wondering about keeping it warm,

Thinking about a dedicated pocket with a battery heated sock :unsure:

deadheadskier

Staff member

I've near 100% transitioned to edibles.
That choice isn't necessarily about it being healthier than smoking or vaping. I just prefer it.

What's interesting is how tolerance for THC is highly variable based upon what you are used to. When I eat edibles, it's more about relaxation than getting "stoned." It's kinda similar to when I used to have just a couple of drinks to unwind vs having many and getting drunk. But, on the rare occasion a friend passes me flower or a vape, I get way more intoxicated. Conversely, those same friends get way more intoxicated when they eat an edible than when they smoke or vape.

It's all about what your body is used to.

jimmywilson69

I just keep mine in a pocket in my vest. No issues

I always get a delayed reaction to edibles. So I need to ingest earlier

snoseek

It works beautifully for me. It's great not having to deal with lighting a bowl or joint with cold winds. It's also less noticeable so no need to find a hiding spot.

KustyTheKlown

Mostly action series or flicks. Shit like Jack Ryan or Fauda, Hard Knocks... I find I exercise longer that way and it's stuff my wife doesn't want to watch.

lol i misinterpreted. i thought you were following an exercise program on the tv.

KustyTheKlown

i find my vape cartridges to be pretty unreliable in the cold. i tend to use them in my apartment and hotel rooms where im conscious of the stink, and burn flower in almost all outdoor situations. they make some fine windproof lighters and im also pretty damn skillful with a bic on a chairlift whne i gotta be

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just keep mine in a pocket in my vest. No issues

I always get a delayed reaction to edibles. So I need to ingest earlier

As the edible market has grown more sophisticated, there are more variations on onset.

One product I really like are Manna Speed Tabs. They're a sublingual tablet and take effect in 5-10 minutes. They are difficult to find though because they're not very popular. Probably because it's not a type of candy.

Another is 1906 tablets, which you swallow, but take in the 15-20 minute range for onset. These are a bit more commonly available in Mass dispensaries than the Manna product.

Andrew B.

diet ginger ale is my vice. I tank it down like crazy. Sure no sugar but this stuff can't be good. I really need to switch to something better or just water but its sooo good
Went from Diet Coke to Polar Lemon seltzer cold turkey about 10 years ago. I would drink 5-6 DC’s a day, now I drink that or more PLC’s a day.

NYDB

I Use edibles mostly. I just don’t like to smoke / vape on the reg. Definitely feel it in the lungs. That can’t be good.

although I prefer to smoke / vape while riding. It makes me more of a menace on the slopes.

The edible high is more of a body high for me. Even ingesting sativa oils.

I prefer more of a cerebral head high when riding.

back To the op - I was reading that while skiing you can have anywhere from 3x to 6x your weight act as a force on your knees when carving turns ( and who knows how much when dropping cliffs) so dropping weight makes a ton of sense.

also - plus 1 on the soda stream. I’m a big bds guy but had to make an exception for that. It’s great. Especially when you find out no one is really recycling the cans and bottles you were previously using even when you tried your best to do so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Went from Diet Coke to Polar Lemon seltzer cold turkey about 10 years ago. I would drink 5-6 DC’s a day, now I drink that or more PLC’s a day.

If you haven't bought a Soda Stream, consider it. I find the seltzer it produces is way better than can be purchased bottled or canned. Cheaper and less waste too. I buy polar on the road, but use the soda stream with lemon or lime slices at home. Drink a couple liters a day of it.

I'm basically black coffee until 10, seltzer until near bed time, then regular still water