• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I plan to put on all the apparel I bought during the summer, estimate how much weight I need to lose, and start conditioning

Granite1

I don't want to minimize the opioid problem in this country because it is bad, but the cost to American society from alcohol abuse is FAR greater. And the reason is because it's used by many more people than opioids are. There are an estimated 30 million alcoholics in this country. And even beyond that, there are millions more casual drinkers who screw up in one way or another and cause problems for themselves and others.

Our alcohol issues in this country are highly minimized due to its social acceptance.
You can't compare the two. Opioids have killed millions with one dose. Almost impossible to kill yourself by drinking one dose, (large quantities) of alcohol in a short period of time. Alcohol abuse is a long time problem, not a single time use problem, you don't get high from drinking one beer. But take one hit of fentanyl, you're flying high and far away off the deep end, take one toke from a potent mamajuana joint and you're high for hours. Furthermore, social acceptance of alcohol (which is legal) is night and day different then China and Mexico flooding the US with fentanyl. No one accepts these countries are importing fentanyl and killing millions. By the way, you're so concerned about social acceptance? Social acceptance of cannabis isn't going to help either problem. Once you get stoned from cannabis, a lot of times (especially hard core users) are going to want get more high with alcohol or more potent drugs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can't compare the two. Opioids have killed millions with one dose. Almost impossible to kill yourself by drinking one dose, (large quantities) of alcohol in a short period of time. Alcohol abuse is a long time problem, not a single time use problem, you don't get high from drinking one beer. But take one hit of fentanyl, you're flying high and far away off the deep end, take one toke from a potent mamajuana joint and you're high for hours. Furthermore, social acceptance of alcohol (which is legal) is night and day different then China and Mexico flooding the US with fentanyl. No one accepts these countries are importing fentanyl and killing millions. By the way, you're so concerned about social acceptance? Social acceptance of cannabis isn't going to help either problem. Once you get stoned from cannabis, a lot of times (especially hard core users) are going to want get more high with alcohol or more potent drugs.

Yes you can compare the two. They're both heavily abused substances and one is done so by tens of millions more people than the other.

The cost to society isn't all about deaths, which seems to be all you are focusing on. People drinking themselves to death is a very small part of the problem.

How many typically responsible drinkers F up just once, drive drunk and kill themselves or others?

How many hold my beer stupid choices result in accidents that put people in the hospital?

How many domestic violence events happen every single day because someone is fueled by alcohol? The biggest day of the year for that is Superbowl Sunday. Why do you think?

How many murders are fueled by booze?

How many physical altercations by normally peaceful people happen every day because of booze? See that fight between the wedding party and the cops this weekend in Newport, RI? If not, look it up. Think that would have happened if they weren't drinking?

How many unwanted pregnancies due to drunken poor decisions?

How many millions show up to work every day and are unproductive because they're hungover?

How many couples get in ridiculous arguments in front of their kids because they're drunk?

I could go on and on.

If you were to put a dollar figure on the overall cost to society by booze abuse compared to opioids it would be many, many times greater. Billions and billions more.

You're wrong on this Granite.

I'm not gonna bother addressing your reefer madness idiocy

Granite1

Yes you can compare the two. They're both heavily abused substances and one is done so by tens of millions more people than the other.

The cost to society isn't all about deaths, which seems to be all you are focusing on. People drinking themselves to death is a very small part of the problem.

How many typically responsible drinkers F up just once, drive drunk and kill themselves or others?

How many hold my beer stupid choices result in accidents that put people in the hospital?

How many domestic violence events happen every single day because someone is fueled by alcohol? The biggest day of the year for that is Superbowl Sunday. Why do you think?

How many murders are fueled by booze?

How many physical altercations by normally peaceful people happen every day because of booze? See that fight between the wedding party and the cops this weekend in Newport, RI? If not, look it up. Think that would have happened if they weren't drinking?

How many unwanted pregnancies due to drunken poor decisions?

How many millions show up to work every day and are unproductive because they're hungover?

How many couples get in ridiculous arguments in front of their kids because they're drunk?

I could go on and on.

If you were to put a dollar figure on the overall cost to society by booze abuse compared to opioids it would be many, many times greater. Billions and billions more.

You're wrong on this Granite.

I'm not gonna bother addressing your reefer madness
You missed my point, as always. The problems are totally and completely different and require different solutions, has nothing to do with reefer madness.

jimk

I never smoked tobacco or other stuff, but my kids say soda is the new cigarettes. In that case I'm the equivalent of about a 3 pack per day man since regularly drinking 1-3 serviings of soda/cola daily from about age 12 :unsure:

I do stuff to stay physically active, but I'm fast approaching the age where it's all gravy. By that I mean I'm lucky to be alive, forget about being alive and super fit.:giggle:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You missed my point, as always. The problems are totally and completely different and require different solutions, has nothing to do with reefer madness.

Yeah I missed your point. Lol

Look dumbass, I made a claim (a correct one) that alcohol is a far greater problem in this country than opioids. You argued against it stupidly and I dunked on you.

Do they require different solutions? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that alcohol is the bigger problem / cost on society and it isn't even close.

That's where we are at here.

Now go away.

RH29

On a more positive note than Granite's schizoposting about god knows what, I think I've done a good job keeping myself in shape. Did a LOT of hiking and outdoor activity over the summer and I'm getting back into a more frequent gym + fall biking routine (went 5 miles today on hilly roads, likely will do trail biking sunday)

skiur

Thanks, I needed a good laugh! You must think reefer madness was a documentary!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone incorporate Yoga as part of their fitness routine? In many ways, I find Yoga more beneficial to my skiing than any strength or cardio training I do. I feel like flexibility plays a bigger part in feeling youthful than strength.

But, I also tend to slack on Yoga the most in the off season. Need to get going there again and really just commit to 30 minutes a day for life.

I dig Sean Vigue's routines and just load up his YouTube videos. Anybody have others on YouTube they like to follow? I prefer just the movements and none of the Namaste / Spiritual stuff.

Hawk

If you look at the rates of death by liver failure and also consider how many people are killed by drunk drivers each year it is close to the number of drug overdoses. Just being accurate and looking at the US statistics. But if you look at the volume of divorces, lost jobs, abuse of family members and others, I would conclude that achohol is a far greater problem as a whole in the US. I can honestly say I only know about 6 or 8 people in my circles that have had drug issues. I know literally hundreds of people that have drinking problems that have effected their lives over the years. There are 3 in my family alone. Yes different issues but I'm with DHS.

And by the way in the states that I hang in, Marajuna is as legal as booze. ALSO, I could smoke 10 blunts until I am blue in the face and I would not be nearly as fucked up as I have been drinking. Your perception is both antiquated and foolish.

Hawk

Anyone incorporate Yoga as part of their fitness routine? In many ways, I find Yoga more beneficial to my skiing than any strength or cardio training I do. I feel like flexibility plays a bigger part in feeling youthful than strength.

But, I also tend to slack on Yoga the most in the off season. Need to get going there again and really just commit to 30 minutes a day for life.

I dig Sean Vigue's routines and just load up his YouTube videos. Anybody have others on YouTube they like to follow? I prefer just the movements and none of the Namaste / Spiritual stuff.
My wife is on me to do this. I can't bring myself to go to a class.. I have my own stretching routine that might be considered Yoga-esque. and I think it works pretty well. But I disagrss that stretching is more important, for me that is. Power in the quads, calves and hamstrings is very important for me and cardio conditioning is second in my opinion. That coupled with some stretching has got me to my 50's skiing fairly well even after ACL surgery in my 20's and a clean up procedure in the same knee in my late 40's.

KustyTheKlown

Girlfriend pushes yoga/stretching on me. It’s not that I’m anti, I just don’t want to take a class/pay/go offsite. I follow a routine of strength training and cardio in my free gym that works very well for me

KustyTheKlown

My wife is on me to do this. I can't bring myself to go to a class.. I have my own stretching routine that might be considered Yoga-esque. and I think it works pretty well. But I disagrss that stretching is more important, for me that is. Power in the quads, calves and hamstrings is very important for me and cardio conditioning is second in my opinion. That coupled with some stretching has got me to my 50's skiing fairly well even after ACL surgery in my 20's and a clean up procedure in the same knee in my late 40's.

but dude, one toke on a marijuana joint and youre a menace to society for at least 10 hours

drjeff

While I don't do actual yoga classes, I do do a bunch of 2- 4x per week stretching, yoga like sessions for 10 - 20 minutes that one of my ski buddies, who also happens to be a chiropractor, recommended to me to do, and that's on a year round basis.

Also helps me a bunch after a day in the office, where often I haven't been practicing the best posture for extended periods of time with respect to my neck and back.

Working to atleast keep, if not even improve, one's flexibility as we age has so many benefits, and it's one where now that I have been doing my stretching routine for over 5 years, wish I had started in say my 20's, instead of my 40's

crank

I incorporate yoga/pilates/stretching. No classes or anything. I do all my exercising in front of the big screen in the man cave watching guilty pleasure shows.

But yeah, a bunch of yoga poses, a bunch of core work (pilates) and just some regular stretches. Essential in my aging bod's opinion. Core is key!

thebigo

One of my daughters coaches recommended eliteam, Doug Lewis held a zoom with the club and figured we would try it for a month. Been doing the workouts four nights a week since we got back from hood. Down a pant size but biggest difference is flexibility. Went to richelson a couple weeks back, ankle flexibility improved from basically nothing to full range. I get that this sounds like spam but just sharing my experience, best $25 / month could have spent this summer.

Edit: Paul is retiring in two years, had two pair stretched, probably have two more stretched next summer. Only found one other fitter in new england with Pauls' skill set - Adam at Thoma but hate driving to SR in the summer.

Last edited: