• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I plan to put on all the apparel I bought during the summer, estimate how much weight I need to lose, and start conditioning

ColdRain&Snow

Got good deals on a burton coat and insulated pants, obermeyer shell jacket and pants, spyder vest and pants. Picked up a few types of light gloves.

Putting a roof rack on my suv for a real spare tire, my donut looks unreliable.

Got a pair of used rentals from Stratton for $200 last march, they’ll be my rock skis.

Plan to demo a lot of skis, clueless about what I want/need. I want to try Nordica enforcers with different widths/lengths, probably the same with k2 mindbenders.

Hope we get an early dump so I can evaluate them in proper conditions. I upped to the ikon base pass this season, got the better half on board too. I’m guessing I’ll try sugarbush or use one of my killington days when places open.

I’m adding a lot more weightlifting this season. I fractured a metacarpal and had Lyme disease this summer, so I need an extended conditioning period.

Saw granite’s summer school writing assignment, how did I get so deep in his head after only a few months here?

KustyTheKlown

because he's a fucking tool.

the trick is to never stop conditioning. this is only going to be my second season as a person who exercises 6 days a week 12 months a year, but the difference in my skiing last year compared to the before times was insane. i wish i could knock out the ice cream and cokes. i'd be fuckin ripped. the sugar addiction is real.

ColdRain&Snow

the trick is to never stop conditioning. this is only going to be my second season as a person who exercises 6 days a week 12 months a year, but the difference in my skiing last year compared to the before times was insane. i wish i could knock out the ice cream and cokes. i'd be fuckin ripped. the sugar addiction is real.
Yep, i swim laps year round and last year added cycle spinning after Labor Day, started really strong, didn’t do much during the season, and petered out at the end.

As I said, spinning is out, weightlifting is in this year. And I need to keep at it over the winter.

djd66

Weight loss makes a huge difference. Just imagine skiing with a 20lb back pack all day. when I dropped 20lbs - it was like I was 10 years younger!

drjeff

Truth on all accounts KTK!

When one makes the mindset shift that fitness is a year round thing, not just a seasonal thing, that has benefits far greater than just for seasonal sports, it becomes a very great lifestyle thing, and one where I can see now that I am in my 50's and have been a basically daily exerciser for the last decade or so (a bunch of spin bike work and 2 - 3x a week resistance strength work currently) that I am far less in the "I can no longer do that because I am over X years old" category than many of my not as regular exercising friends in my age demographic.

As for the sugar addiction thing, it's a real battle! Although my wife and I agreed after dropping our youngest off at college about 2 weeks ago now, that we wouldn't be buying any dessert items for the house more that absolutely once a week, since the evening sugar impulse control was week for both of us as astress relief coping tool....

Last edited:

VTSkiBike

Lyme disease is a bitch; it almost permanently put me in a wheelchair when I was 18. Recovery was long a painful for me so I hope you're recovered 100% for ski season.

As for conditioning, mountain biking or cycling in general is a great way to get your legs and lungs ready for ski season.

ColdRain&Snow

Lyme disease is a bitch; it almost permanently put me in a wheelchair when I was 18. Recovery was long a painful for me so I hope you're recovered 100% for ski season.

As for conditioning, mountain biking or cycling in general is a great way to get your legs and lungs ready for ski season.
I was diagnosed early on so even though I was hurting for a few weeks it seems like I’ve recovered pretty much fully. None of ongoing side effects some people experience.

On the bright side, since I didn’t eat or drink much for those few weeks, all my new gear fits very well.:cool:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you have an issue with sugar addiction, quit drinking or at least cut out regular consumption of alcohol. It boosts cortisol levels, which drives cravings for both sweet and salty foods.

After three years of doing twice a year dry months because many friends were doing it, it became quite obvious that alcohol was FAR worse for my health than I either realized or cared to admit. And I had already dropped down to only drinking 2-3 days a week and somewhere in the 6-14 drink a week range.

I quit for good this February and have dropped 25# and continue to lose weight slowly with absolutely zero changes to my exercise routine. It's because of less calories from the booze and better eating choices due to absence of excess cortisol.

Canada recently changed their recommendations on maximum number of drinks per week to 2 for men and 1 for women. That's the daily recommendation in the US, which used to be what Canada also recommended. I think the US should follow Canada. We vastly underestimate just how bad alcohol is for our health.

Everyone talks about the opioid problem in this country, but our problem with booze is even worse.

snoseek

I buy a six pack of coors light every Sunday night(my Friday night) and that's all I get for the week. It's peeled off some weight as before it was get a vodka buzz and eat way too much food. I too would like to go fully dry and just use thc and occasional mushrooms for a buzz.

Last edited:

cdskier

If you have an issue with sugar addiction, quit drinking or at least cut out regular consumption of alcohol. It boosts cortisol levels, which drives cravings for both sweet and salty foods.

After three years of doing twice a year dry months because many friends were doing it, it became quite obvious that alcohol was FAR worse for my health than I either realized or cared to admit. And I had already dropped down to only drinking 2-3 days a week and somewhere in the 6-14 drink a week range.

I quit for good this February and have dropped 25# and continue to lose weight slowly with absolutely zero changes to my exercise routine. It's because of less calories from the booze and better eating choices due to absence of excess cortisol.

Canada recently changed their recommendations on maximum number of drinks per week to 2 for men and 1 for women. That's the daily recommendation in the US, which used to be what Canada also recommended. I think the US should follow Canada. We vastly underestimate just how bad alcohol is for our health.

Everyone talks about the opioid problem in this country, but our problem with booze is even worse.

I drink wine pretty regularly. I have no problem limiting my cravings for sweets though (I still have some peppermint bark and mint truffles left that I bought back around Christmas!)

I think Canada's new recommendations are nuts. I've never looked into this, but do European countries like France, Italy, Spain, etc have any recommendations? Curious what they are...

KustyTheKlown

i actually barely drink. very common for me to go full weeks with zero alcohol. the sugar is a constant no matter what.

i think i prob have elevated cortisol just from being an inherently anxious jew.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I drink wine pretty regularly. I have no problem limiting my cravings for sweets though (I still have some peppermint bark and mint truffles left that I bought back around Christmas!)

I think Canada's new recommendations are nuts. I've never looked into this, but do European countries like France, Italy, Spain, etc have any recommendations? Curious what they are...

You missed part of it. It's not just sweets, it's salty (and fatty foods) too. I fell in the latter category. If you go out at night, it's pretty common to see drunk people hitting up the food trucks and pizza shops etc. Or the next morning you see people slamming greasy breakfasts to deal with hangovers. Elevated cortisol contributes to all of that.

I think Canada gets it closer to right than we do. Might be a little too restrictive, but our own CDC saying two drinks a day is fine is a dangerous suggestion. And I'm someone who used to love wine like you. I had no idea just how bad even moderate amounts of wine were for me. Giving up just a moderate habit has been profound. WAY, WAY better sleep quality , more energy, better focus, better eating choices. I'm amazed by the difference.

I don't know if it's industry lobbyists or what, but I think the negatives of alcohol have been under sold for a long time and it seems the tides are turning lately. I don't have the answer for you regarding Europe, but I do know consumption rates are plummeting, especially with young people over there.

KustyTheKlown

its crazy how society is so accepting of this very dangerous mild poison that causes short term dangerous behavior causing inebriation and long term horrific health consequences, but somehow cannabis is just starting to gain a shred of acceptance, in 2023.

Edd

I stay reasonably trim because I do work at it and my rule for soda is never drink it unless it’s mixed with booze. Otherwise, don’t touch it.

snoseek

its crazy how society is so accepting of this very dangerous mild poison that causes short term dangerous behavior causing inebriation and long term horrific health consequences, but somehow cannabis is just starting to gain a shred of acceptance, in 2023.
I caught alot of shit on here for making that same argument like 15 years ago. Lots of people were very anti legalization while pound roadies at the bar while their kids skied till last chair. It baffled me so much.

If I had kids the drug discussion would be avoid stuff that people go to rehab for and booze is probably #1 for that.

KustyTheKlown

I stay reasonably trim because I do work at it and my rule for soda is never drink it unless it’s mixed with booze. Otherwise, don’t touch it.

i try to limit myself to one 12 oz coke at dinner. im very well behaved all day at work. black coffee, seltzer, lunch from cava or sweetgreen. but when i get home all bets are off. dinner isnt always bad, i'm prob more likely to have a steak and grilled vegetables than pizza for dinner. but theres always a coke, and its chased with ice cream or cookies/milk or fuckin cake. i'm a slut.

crank

As you guys age you will eat more like a heart patient.

And you will find that staying shape for skiing becomes even more of a year round commitment as you get older. There's only so far I can ramp it up without hurting myself. The good part is that committing to staying in shape will let you enjoy the activities you love longer.... Or so I hope.

cdskier

You missed part of it. It's not just sweets, it's salty (and fatty foods) too. I fell in the latter category. If you go out at night, it's pretty common to see drunk people hitting up the food trucks and pizza shops etc. Or the next morning you see people slamming greasy breakfasts to deal with hangovers. Elevated cortisol contributes to all of that.

I think Canada gets it closer to right than we do. Might be a little too restrictive, but our own CDC saying two drinks a day is fine is a dangerous suggestion. And I'm someone who used to love wine like you. I had no idea just how bad even moderate amounts of wine were for me. Giving up just a moderate habit has been profound. WAY, WAY better sleep quality , more energy, better focus, better eating choices. I'm amazed by the difference.

I don't know if it's industry lobbyists or what, but I think the negatives of alcohol have been under sold for a long time and it seems the tides are turning lately. I don't have the answer for you regarding Europe, but I do know consumption rates are plummeting, especially with young people over there.

I'm not a salty/fatty food person either. The vast majority of my eating is fairly healthy (lots of home cooking). If anything my eating is healthier now than it was before I was into wine. (not saying there's a relation at all there...as I think that is more of a product of me getting into cooking personally and enjoying it)

So France is basically the same guidelines as the US. But the national drinking average in France puts essentially everyone over the recommendations there (2.7 drinks per day on average vs 2 drinks recommended).

US in general drinks less than other countries, but we have more issues. Why? Not sure what the answer is there...

Even if recommendations change, will it have an impact on drinking amounts? Studies in other countries so far say it will be minimal.