• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcats: August 22, 2007

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: August 22, 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Wildcat Ski Trails to Wildcat Ridge Trail.

Total Distance: Approximately 10 miles according to the book (5.2 up and down the ski trails, probably less, 4.2 miles across the ridge, plus some other side trips, etc.)

Difficulty: Ski trails were pleasant. Ridge walk was moderate.

Conditions: Weather was perfect, trails in great shape.

Special Required Equipment: AMC White Mountain Guide, plenty of water since Wildcat summit buildings are closed.

Trip Report: The entire Carter-Moriah-Wildcat Range was on my list to do for the NH 48, so I decided to scout out Wildcat Ski Area and hit the two Wildcats which are on the list. My research indicated that the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch was extremely steep and not too enjoyable, but that the ski trails offered an easier, more scenic option. It was a no brainer.

Got to the ski area at about 9am. Ventured into the lodge...very basic, and small. Nice vibe.

I then decided to find a service road or path to the top of the mountain. The book and trail maps suggested that the Northern Trails (Polecat, etc). were the easiest.

I started toward to the HSQ/Gondi and saw that they were just putting the cars on the line for the day. I quickly picked up a mowed path that had orange spray paint markings in the grass and small signs (Abe Lincoln with an angered look on his face). It was heading in the right direction, so I figured to give it a shot.

Very good decision. The trail wound its way up the ski trails, past great views, and to the top of the Gondi, where I found myself in about an hour. It was a steady approach, with good plateaus and good footing. By no means was it difficult.

At the summit, I scoped out the terrain and the Gondi, before heading to the first summit on the list, Wildcat "D" with its observation deck and radio tower. I placed my back down and approached it only to find that it was closed due to its age. Major kudos to the group of tourists/hikers who came up behind me with their kids, and when seeing me sitting off the trail enjoying a snack told the kids to, "be respectful and quiet." Great trail etiquette.

We chatted for a bit, one of the Dads confirmed that the tower was rickety, and then they went on their way.

I continued along the ridge, descending into the major col and passing by some other 48er's (who were doing #14 and #16 respectively) as well as some other through-hikers. A very busy day.

I passed over Wildcat C and later B with little or no fanfare. C offered a great view of Washington.

At 12:30pm, I made it to A and the SPECTACULAR view into Carter Notch and the Carter Lodge. The cliffs were great. After lunch and photos (film...sorry), I found the real summit, and returned back to the ski area.

On my way down Wildcat C, I stumbled upon a family of four (in Red Sox gear) with little or no hiking equipment. The mother told me that her son had "sprained his ankle" and was just ahead. I offered assistance, and told her that I would get help if needed, she declined. I continued on and approached the boy and his father. I kept my distance and saw that the boy was walking on his own with little or no limping or problems, and that he was just complaining. I asked the father about the ankle and asked if they needed help, he declined, but I took note of the time and their location. It appeared that the boy had just banged his foot, and that they were making the right decision in turning back.

I continued on and within 20 minutes was back at the tower. I climbed it to find that the boards had some life left, snapped some photos, and took the ski area's trail back to the Gondi. This spur is much easier than the same stretch of AT.

At the top of the Gondi, I noted that the resort staffer who was talking to tourists was not present. I was going to report the family to him and my observations. Instead, I took a break and took some more photos. Within 10 minutes, I heard voices and saw the family coming out of the woods and into the Gondi Area. All was well, and I was at least comforted to know that they were OK.

From here it was an easy stroll back to the car (some hikers were envious of my route choice...) where I headed home.

Great hike, great views, great time.

awf170

You should have tried the Wildcat Ridge Trail from PNVC. I did it for the first time yesterday and it was a very nice hike. Wicked steep but the trail is in very good condition with a bunch of wood and stone steps. Probably one of favorate trails actually. My guess is the guide was written before all this work was done.

Also, that view down to Carter Notch is quite awesome. Going down into Carter Notch would make a very fun loop, though it would require 2 cars.

So which 4000 footers do you have left now?