• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saturday Night Skiing at Stowe: February 2, 2008

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: February 2, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Stowe Mountain Resort

Conditions: MG/LG

Weather: Cool temps, some gusty winds. Clouds and snowshowers eventually lifting.

2007-2008 Report # : 31

Trip Report:
What do you do when we get a snowstorm, but you have bar prep classes during the day? You go night skiing.

As a kid, I liked night skiing because it took skiing to another dimension. As a busy adult, I see it as a way to offer more opportunities to hit the slopes.

I can remember the media splash that Stowe made in 1991 when it introduced its new Gondola and nightskiing. I had always wanted to give it a try…

In talking with some folks, I had heard two common complaints. The first that the Gondola was slow, the second that there was only one trail lit at night. I figured that it was worth $27 to find out…

After getting confirmation that Gondolier was freshly groomed before the night session (a MAJOR bonus) I made the drive up to find a string of cars leaving the area. I had no problem securing a great parking spot within stone’s throw of Midway Lodge. The Lodge was clean and offered plenty of room to spread out. I got my ticket and skied down to the Gondi.

nice_lodge.jpg

what_a_night.jpg

The snow held up really well. The grooming was immaculate…and with a handful of locals, there was plenty of leg room. I was really impressed. Yes, that lift ride was 10 minutes or so, but it is over a mile and a half to the top. One trail to ski on? Yes, but it is a solid 2,100+ of vertical with plenty of coverage, plenty of different angles to ski, and great for high speed cruising. To put that in perspective: that is the vert of Jay Peak or Cannon. That’s a lot. Did I get bored? Not at all.

first_run.jpg

night_ski_pic.jpg

There were two minor problems that did occur. One, completely uncontrollable, was there were some strong wind gusts that made the lift ride interesting. But being in the gondi was nice…and it was sheltered and warm. Second, for the first few hours there were some local teens who preferred to straight line down the trail rather than ski in control. They left pretty early though…

So my review is an enthusiastic two thumbs up. The snow was soft, MG which became LG as the night went on. I did find some nice deep soft snow on the edge of the race course that I played in. Nice.

soft_snow.jpg

nice_night.jpg

A great four hours of high speed cruising and some nice turns…I can honestly say that after maybe 10-15 runs at 2,100 vert each, my legs were a bit tired.

It was also fun watching the groomers working the rest of the mountain. I counted 5 or 6 on Mansfield side and 2 on Spruce.

So the verdict: I liked it. Will be back. If there was more season left, and if they had more nights that they were open, I would consider the $95 night season ticket.

The gallery. I had fun experimenting with my camera and the settings…and I think that the results came out pretty well...

Nice report..a good percentage of my skiing has been at night-time but I've never been night skiing at Stowe..the only place I night skied at Stowe was Bolton Valley..Is it still just Upper Perry Merrill and Gondolier that's lit?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes. Upper PM to Gondolier. We're talking 2,100 vert and maybe 2 miles...that is a lot....

Yes. Upper PM to Gondolier. We're talking 2,100 vert and maybe 2 miles...that is a lot....

For sure..and that route is usually chock full of people after the first hour during the day so it would be nice having it to myself. A gondola is the best lift for night-skiing to stay warm as well.

How can cranking turns down a 2 mile long ski slope get old??? I'll be hitting up the Xanadu snowdome in NJ this summer cranking turns on a 1/4 mile run and loving it..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How can cranking turns down a 2 mile long ski slope get old??? I'll be hitting up the Xanadu snowdome in NJ this summer cranking turns on a 1/4 mile run and loving it..

To each their own; I'm glad you enjoy it. For me, running the same trail, over and over again gets real old real fast. I like variety, unpredictability. I ski with utter abandon, never ski the same place two days in a row, never the same trail twice. I hate predictability; I already have too much of that in my life. I don't like straight line shots where you can see the base from the top, I don't like boulevard trails where you can see and anticipate the goods well in advance. I live for surprises.

At most resorts, I usually consult the trail map once, pocket it, then spend my day wandering to whatever looks interesting. I'm always in search of something new. I'll only ski the same trail again if it's the only trail with good conditions. I love the west where I can make my own lines, not suffer the same rut-laden mistakes of thousands before me, I love the woods where each line can be my own. I could never buy lodging that links me to one place. This season, I've skied at nine different resorts and the trend will continue. I'm a self-described "wanderer" which is what makes the same thing again and again old. I'm glad you've found your niche and glad you enjoy it.

What makes this sport interesting is that everyone has a different definition of "fun."

deadheadskier

Staff member
The trick is to catch Mansfield on a night with a full moon and no cloud cover and then duck the rope over to Chin Clip.

2100 vert of great bumps under the moonlight = good times

cbcbd

A great four hours of high speed cruising and some nice turns…I can honestly say that after maybe 10-15 runs at 2,100 vert each, my legs were a bit tired.
That's a good point - that's lots of vert and a hell of a good workout. I saw the lights Sat night but didn't ski it...

The trick is to catch Mansfield on a night with a full moon and no cloud cover and then duck the rope over to Chin Clip.

2100 vert of great bumps under the moonlight = good times
Methinks next time I'm at Stowe on a Sat night I'm bringing my biking night riding light - 13 watts should be fine for doing some runs down the other trails.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's a good point - that's lots of vert and a hell of a good workout. I saw the lights Sat night but didn't ski it...

Methinks next time I'm at Stowe on a Sat night I'm bringing my biking night riding light - 13 watts should be fine for doing some runs down the other trails.

might be a good idea, though it also might draw attention to yourself. doubtful with such low wattage.

seriously, on a full moon night, I used to find the visibility as good as the lights on gondolier almost.

thetrailboss

Staff member
YOU my friend, are the ONLY person I've every known to go night skiing on Mansfield (and pay for it! :) )
Looks like it gets old pretty fast.
Thanks.

Wow. Don't rain on the parade or anything. :roll: This probably is the first post that I have seen in here which complains about skiing.

If you read my report, I said that yes it was one trail, and one that is 2,100 vertical and almost two miles long. I also said that though it is one run, it is wide enough and offers enough different angles so that you can ski it different ways.

I know that you have a strong dislike for Stowe, but I have enjoyed my visits there...but have never paid full price. As I see it, I paid $27 and enjoyed a great night and a full day of skiing (the latter was on a voucher). The folks there were nice to me, I got some fresh air, and I got to ski a place I don't go to very often.

I guess if I had to choose between skiing this one long, tall, varied run on a Saturday night, or staying home, I'd choose the former. :wink:

Last edited:
Billski=Jaded and picky

TheTrailBoss=eager to ski

TheTrailBoss wins..I met many people out west who are from the east who only ski 1-2 weeks a year out west and that's it..that would suck..

danny p

seriously, on a full moon night, I used to find the visibility as good as the lights on gondolier almost.

skiing under a full moon is quite the experience. I used to ski Catamount nights, and catamount always groomed some of their trails the night before and roped them off for the next day. Well me and my friends decided one moon lit night to poach some of the fresh groomed trails. One of the best ski experiences of my life, skiing fresh cord by moonlight. 4 runs were awesome, 5th run came down to the bottom to find a line of sleds and ski patrol blocking the trail. threats of calling the cops were made. laughs were had. best night skiing involves full moons or night storms. I would love to ski a place like stowe at night!