• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

In need of Helmet advice

bvibert

Staff member
Okay,

Lots of fans of Giro. I've read that they have some compatiability problems with certain brands of goggles? True? True of most helmet brands?

With any helmet your best bet is to bring your goggles with you to try the fit. I wouldn't say it's helmet brand related or goggle brand related. Different goggle/helmet combinations will fit differently on different people's faces too.

lerops

I also have a Giro 10. Be careful with the fit. I thought I had a good fit in the store with another model, went out and skied with it for the day, and it hurt my ears like hell (and no, I don't really have big ears :D ). Then I exchanged it for the G10. That is not something you notice when you are trying it on in the store. You will look funny, but try to keep it on for a while. It might be a good time to shop for helmets when you are shopping for other stuff.

Hawkshot99

Okay,

Lots of fans of Giro. I've read that they have some compatiability problems with certain brands of goggles? True? True of most helmet brands?

All helmets will have trouble with some goggles. The users face shape will contribute to this as well.

I have used Smith, Scott, Spy, Oakley, and Giro goggles with the G10, all have worked great. But there were also goggles in those brands that did not fit too well.

Warp Daddy

In addition to what other said i have used several differant Carrera OTGs w/my Giro Talon ,

The only brand that fits too tightly was a Cheap pr of Bolle's i picked up@ TJ MAXX for a rose colored lens deal -- they are ok but seem too tight

BUT TAKE your goggles with you when trying on helmets

o3jeff

This is my first year skiing with a helmet and got the G10 and you really do not even feel it on your head. I am using Smith goggles with it and they seem to fit fine.

Dr Skimeister

I've worn the Carrera Airborne helmet for 4 seasons now. I like the lightweight feel and the extenstive venting it affords. It's considered a freeride snowboard helmet. I specifically sought out a helmet with "soft" earflaps to accommodate hearing better. I previously wore a Leedom softie helmet but after 5 seasons (and a rather significant pony-tail-losing haircut) the fit was no longer right for me.

I have this one in black

Greg

Staff member
My Smith goggles were not compatible with my G10. They just never fit right. No big deal on warmer days, but I got a lot of air coming in which is not desirable on colder days. I replaced them with Oakley Crowbars and all is right with the world.

tree_skier

I have a Giro Talon and love it. I like the extra around the ear protection, especialy in the woods. Ask Roark about that ear protection

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, I think I'm going to go with a Bern 'G'. I tried on a bunch of different helmets this morning at a shop and this particular model seemed to fit my dome the best. Giro was not a good fit at all for me.

Shop had the helmet for $120. I've found it online for $85 delivered, which I think is a good deal.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Bern as a helmet company? The quality seemed to be equal of that as Giro and it had a similar vent control switch on top, though the vents seemed a little smaller an perhaps a couple less than the Giro.

The only drawback was I thought the Giro helmets were a bit more attractive in appearance. This is very important for me when I'm wearing my one pice bogner suit or my stretch pants :lol:

Hawkshot99

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Bern as a helmet company? The quality seemed to be equal of that as Giro and it had a similar vent control switch on top, though the vents seemed a little smaller an perhaps a couple less than the Giro.

The only drawback was I thought the Giro helmets were a bit more attractive in appearance. This is very important for me when I'm wearing my one pice bogner suit or my stretch pants :lol:

I have not looked at BERN helmets this year, but last year i know that they were not certified, by the skiing equivalent of D.O.T. I would check into that before buying one.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have not looked at BERN helmets this year, but last year i know that they were not certified, by the skiing equivalent of D.O.T. I would check into that before buying one.

I'll have to look into that for sure. If they don't have such a certification I'd be surprised for no other reason than the simple fact that I tried the helmet on at a pretty large chain store - Joe Jones. They had Giro, Bern, Carrera and some other company that began with L. Tried them all and the Bern fit perfect. All of the other brands and models felt like there were significant gaps in various places between my head and helmet contact. That said, I'm sure there are different size pads I could install with all of them to improve the fit, but the Bern did feel like slipping on a comfortable pair of slippers.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Joined the Helmet Ranks

so, I settled on a Maker Helmet, forget the model name. I left for Black Mountain on Saturday morning at 5:30, figuring it would take me 3 hours with the roads. Only took 2:30 and I got to North Conway at 7:45 and figured perhaps I'll buy a helmet. Not ONE ski shop was open. Even on a Saturday Morning, which was a shock to me. I'm used to ski shops in Stowe opening at 7-7:30. So, I headed up the road from N.Conway to Black and going through Jackson noticed Jack Frost ski shop was open. Went inside, tried on the Maker helmet, only ones they carried and it fit better than anything I had been trying on from various brands over the past two weeks.

I probably could've ordered it online for $40 cheaper, but figured, what's $40 bucks when your protecting your head.

I shall model it for you here with my Powder Face from Black on Saturday

IMGP1476.jpg

I've had a couple of Giro Fuse already, good fit and very comfortable. The one thing I like about it besides the fit and one thing to take into consideration is the vents. In this case, it's very easy to open or close them, there's a little lever on top that you just slide back and forth. With some, it's not as easy.

I have the Giro Fuse as well..I didn't start skiing with a helmet until 2005..it's a really warm helmet and if it's below zero..I usually wear a thin skull-cap under it..the vents are key and if it's a really warm day like 50+ you can remove the ear flaps..I'll be using this helmet for many years to come I'm sure..