• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you have a Lang foot?

highpeaksdrifter

I know they are a great boot, but I can barely get my foot in one. A buddy of mine has used them for years and loves them. He just got some new Comp 120’s and has been pain free from day one. If you have that Lang foot are there any boots that don’t fit you well?

ctenidae

I had a lange foot, but I went to the doctor. He gave me a shot and cleared it right up.
I had Lange AC8 (I think?) last season, with the wider fit, because I've got good, solid peasant feet- wide as the day is long. They were okay, but to get my foot in I had to get a slightly too-large size. I know, I know, incompetent bootfitter, but I picked them out myself with no assistance, because they were the only ones in the place that I could get my foot in and weren't $600.
Overall, I think if you fit in Lange's, you can wear just about anything, but not everyone fits in a Lange. My wife has the new Comp 120's, and her feet killed at first (see previous threads), but are much better now.

sledhaulingmedic

I have a narrow, boney foot, with high arches. Granted, I always get full length foot beds, but Langes are the only boot I've really had a good fit in. (Granted, the last time around, I didn't try very many others.)

A small but loyal following of those of us that they fit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Somehow, Ms Trailboss is able to fit her odd feet into Lange Comp 120's and she loves them. They were tough to get on at first.

Trailboss thought he could get a matching set but oy :x they hurt in the shop only after about 3 minutes. TOO narrow.

I'm in Dalbello Avanti V-10's now. A kid last week got his snowboard caught on them, so they are a bit dinged up now (thanks) :x I just wrote them asking if they could send me a small plastic piece that broke off. Less than 10 days old!

tree_skier

Have fit into the lange race boots comfortably since my first ones in the 70's, not to say I didn't get Lange Bang pre mid 80's but I thought it was a small price for the best boot.

B

beswift

Lange.

My current boot is a Lange (that's the way it is spelled) Gold, and I own a Lange Pink Panther. I like a tight fitting boot, but my size is 10 1/2 D for shoes, ect. That is not exceptionally narrow. Both boots fit me well. Perhaps there is something about the shape of your foot which makes it a poor fit to Lange. I've demoed other boots and could ski the one's reputed to be wide. Again, I think there exists a lot of hype in boot fitting.

highpeaksdrifter

Tree_skier, Lange race boots are great boots no doubt. I was wondering if you use them when skiing trees. It strikes me that they might be too stiff for that type of skiing. What is your opinion?

I like skiing trees best too. Because of the lack of snow in the woods I've only gotten in once so far this season. I scrapped up bad.

B

beswift

Trees

The question wasn't addressed to me, but I can answer it. I ski trees with both my Lange Boots and have been doing that for 15 years. The Pink Panther was given a rap as >>too stiff<<. by shop employees. Poppycock :roll: The bright yellow race boot before that was very stiff and they softened it with the Pink Panther. However, I find that the employees are always pushing the next generation of Lange's as a bit softer. My Gold is supposed to be softer according to the punk at Ski Market that sold it to me. Sorry, but I don't notice any difference. I wouldn't take any other boot into the woods. Once again, you should be chosing your boots according to your abilities and foot shape. A soft boot will not respond to your intentions as well as a stiff one. In the woods I want my skiis to follow my intentions as quickly as possible. A soft boot will give you a more forgiving ride in deep snow and bumps. I took the Lange TSH on my last trip out west. It was a grey recreation boot with their first heat system. It was a great heat system, had excellent buckles (not that knuckle skinning bail system), and made of a softer plastic than the racing line. There are softer boots in their line. I had a lot of fun with the TSH in Co. or Utah (I can't remember which), but ,unfortunately, it was stolen from me in Ca. When I went to the Pink Panther back East, I had no trouble with it in regards to it's stiffness. Let me add that I spent a lot of time listening to the employees at Ski Market Boston back before I went to Lange. There were some very knowledgeable and experienced people there, usually working part time. They were all big on Lange Boots. If I had listened to them more seriously, I would not have suffered a badly sprained ankle in Austria. Because I was having trouble with a Dynafit (Don't ever fit) traditional 4 buckle boot, I had bought a Hanson rear entry. That was the summer before I started work at Ski Market and then took the Euro-trip. I was told that the rear entries were not going to hold up under my kind of hard, aggressive skiing. Since I hadn't gotten my money's worth out of them, I didn't go to another boot. I wanted to see if the added comfort was worth the loss in close fit. My mistake :oops: The odd thing about this experience was that at that point Hanson moved their production to Japan and the Japanese totally revamped the boot. They introduced the VF101. Their engineers had corrected every failing in the boot design, over-compensation for all the failings. I was awarded a pair for my sales record, and they gave me the best support for the ankle. That was a very stiff boot, but it had a very interesting way of adjustment with seven different panels. Whatever, they went out of business and I wore the boot out. I found that the Lange gave me the best support of all the boots I had demo'ld by then.

Talisman

I have the reciprocal of a foot well suited for Lange boots and have never used them for skiing. I did have a pair of Lange hockey skates for one season in the early 70's which were famous for shattered ankles if a slap shot hit the metal pivot point.

B

beswift

Talisman said:
I have the reciprocal of a foot well suited for Lange boots and have never used them for skiing. I did have a pair of Lange hockey skates for one season in the early 70's which were famous for shattered ankles if a slap shot hit the metal pivot point.
Are you sure they used the same last for the skates as they did for the boots? Except for the Racing line, they have changed their last if you can believe the Gal in the Ski Loft.

tree_skier

highpeaksdrifter said:
Tree_skier, Lange race boots are great boots no doubt. I was wondering if you use them when skiing trees. It strikes me that they might be too stiff for that type of skiing. What is your opinion?

I like skiing trees best too. Because of the lack of snow in the woods I've only gotten in once so far this season. I scrapped up bad.

I love the stiffness in all conditions and although i am not as strong as i used to be still like the stiffer forward flex then most other boots offer. A big plus is my foot fits even though i had to go down a size about 6 years ago when they made some changes.

sledhaulingmedic

tree_skier said:
highpeaksdrifter said:

I love the stiffness in all conditions and although i am not as strong as i used to be still like the stiffer forward flex then most other boots offer. A big plus is my foot fits even though i had to go down a size about 6 years ago when they made some changes.

I dropped a size, too. I thought my foot shrank! I still like a stiff boot for everything. The only exception would be patrol clinics, which often involve a lot of standing around. Then I'll opt for AT gear.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I always wished I had a Lange foot...but I never did :cry:

My brother had the orange ones back in the day and my buddies and even my wife wear them. I, on the other hand, struggled...for the last 10 years or so with a pair of iron maiden cynderblocks...otherwise known as san marco tr2 or 3's I forget. I actually had to snowboard the last few years...but now....ahhh, I found Jah! Nordica Speed Machines. So sweet and comfy. I had one pair of nordica's when I was a kid and loved those too.

So, I'm a nordica wanna-be-lange foot.