• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woodbury 1, Killington 0

Greg

Staff member
Interesting:
Woodbury 1, Killington 0
October 25, 2002
TOMMY HINE

For more years than he wants to remember, Rod Taylor would plant his tongue in cheek and brazenly call his tiny ski area the home of deep powder snow.

His snowmakers finally backed his words.

Woodbury Ski Area, 50 acres in the hills northwest of Waterbury, was the first ski area in the East to open Thursday, snapping a 41-year streak at Killington, Vt.

"You tell Killington I'm ahead of them," Taylor said. "That was the only thing I wanted. You tell Killington it just lost."

For decades, Killington claimed to be the first and last North American ski area to open and close. It lost that continental distinction this year when Loveland, Colo., opened last weekend. Killington will open today.

Taylor had hoped to open Tuesday. "I made snow two days ago," he said. "It was a waste of money. I lost it all in four hours."

When temperatures dropped Wednesday, Taylor made snow again at both his snowboard park and a 125-foot wide strip on the main hill.

"We were making snow until 9 this morning," said Taylor, a West Hartford native. "I've got 6-12 inches out there. It's up to my knees.

"It was 36 degrees and we were still making snow. I've got all the tricks of the trade. They're top secret. I can't give them up till I die."

Source

B

BC Skier

Nice to see the little guys win!

Conrats to Rod Taylor. Maybe I'll have to check out his mountain first this year.

A

Anonymous

Crock of S**t

Now lets not kid ourselves. If you have ever been to Woodbury Ski and Raquet you know what I mean. It is a joke and an insult to the sport of alpine skiing. It is poorly maintained and not worth your time or money. Yeah, maybe Rod opened a day or so before Killington with like 2 or 3 inches of wet slush but lets face it...it would be a joke. I live in Connecticut, not far from Rod's "establishment" and it was not cold enough last week to make snow for more than a few hours. So he covered the grass with some wet slop that they at WS&R call snow. Killington should be the ones commended, they actually made somw skiiable snow which is worth it

Think about it'
Austin Nolan