• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what to eat

N

NHhiker

the last couple of years i have hike dwith friends, we have eaten a variety of things. ranging from MRE's and Mountain House meals to cans of tuna and Ramen noodles. I have seen other hikers eating much better things. I am wondering what you guys eat, where you get them, how much they cost, and what is needed to cook them.

thanks

cantdog

For less than 1/2 the price of Mountain House, I often save the $ and the special trip elsewhere and get "Big Soup" by Fantastic Foods. Jumpin' Black Bean, Country Lentil, Cha-Cha-Chile and potato corn chowder are all @400-450 calories per cup and fill you up solid. They are significantly lower in sodium than and Ramen variety. To accompany them, I often bring cheese already sliced. For snacks, Pop Tarts are a favorite because they are equally high in calories as any nasty energy bar and you won't break your teeth biting them. However, care must be taken not to crush them in your pack. Trail mix is also one of the usual suspects.

pedxing

In the summer, I prefer to go stoveless. I bring dried fruit, nuts, trail mixes, trail bars (esp. Cliff and Odawala), breads that won't crumble in my backpack (whole grain bagles, for example) and sausages and cheeses that don't need refrigeration. Most of these I can get anywhere (I look for sales and stock up, or go to Trader Joes if I see no really good deals elsewhere). The sausages and cheeses I get from a local Italian deli and speciality shop. The owner usually helps me select a varied selection of delicious stuff, and lets me sample the cheeses freely to pick out ones I'll like.

When I do take a stove, I usually take a selection of dried ready meals from the supermarket as well as a vials of butter flavored oil and/or olive oil. Dried tortellini, Thai Noodle and rice dishes, Fantastic Foods products, all kinds of rice and beans meals are great. I 've explored the supermarket, keeping calorie info (the more calories per ounce the better), and cooking time in mind, picking out things that looked promising. You can save on fuel by pre-soaking many dried meals, keeping them in the water while boiling, and by turning the stove off a little while before the meal is done and letting it cook a little more as it cools.

Also, if you can get to an Asian speciality shop (especially a Korean or Chinese one) - you can find all kinds of Ramen type meals that are much interesting than the usual supermarket Ramen.

cbcbd

Some things I usually include in my menu ;)

Breakfast foods:
-bag of cereal
-energy bars/breakfast bars
-oatmeal (but only if mixed heavilly with something like oreo cookies)
-oreo cookies
-PB sandwich

Dinner:
-powder mashed potatoes
-ramen noodles or other type of noodles
-those little cans of meat - SPAM?- they might look sketchy, but are compact and it's nice to add non freeze dried meat to your meal at least once a week - I personally love the little sausages - Yum!
-cous cous - all time favorite and a staple trail food of mine

And in general and for other eating times I always have:
-powder milk - adds flavor to some dishes
-a bag of GORP
-energy bars
-nutter butters, oreo cookies, choc chip cookies (they come in assorted 12-packs)
-jar of PB - this one is INDISPENSABLE!! Can be added to almost anything :D
-whole loaf of bread - very light, very compressable and extendable, and usually will last a whole week
-seasonings - salt, pepper, adobo, garlic powder, etc...
-cheese

With my general ingredients together with my preferred staples I can usually experiment and concoct interesting things that lighten up my taste buds and fill my needy stomach with delicious calories ;)

MtnMagic

Oh, I hate it when my knees start to hurt during any hike.. Mostly from the downhill tromping.

I enjoy most Hannaford's oatmeal for breakfasts, sandwiches for lunch, and Mountain House freeze dry meals for dinner. Nothing is as good as olive oil with garlic in a frying pan as a base starter meal. Now add some goodies!

pedxing

Funny I was missing the breakfasts and lunches. When alone, I have dried fruit and trail mix for a light breakfast and don't have a lunch - just snack along the way.

With a stove, sandwiches with peanut butter are favorite lunches. Oatmeal with some raisins is a fav. breakfast.

madman

I like pedxings meal plan ,simple tasty and no prep. I bring a stove, pot and mug ,spoon. I f you cant just pour hot water on it i dont bother. The only dishes i wash are the mug + spoon. If you rip the top off your oatmeal the packet holds just enough water you can eat right out of it . Why spend time on clean up when there is brandy to drink and stars to see.

W

Weary Wanderer

Oh, you mean on a trekk ...Well usualy it does not take me that musc time, so I only carry along the non-perishable products and some personal utensils. It's not a problem to get something to snack in a duty free... :angry:

Hm nice smiles-yeah

MtnMagic

In the winter, I like the Fantastic Food soup as they have less sodium than most other brands and the local supermakets stock them. In the summer I enjoy a good sandwich for lunch.

W

Weary Wanderer

Oh yeah, certainly. I always include hot dishes in winter thanks.

madman

Weary Wanderer ; You lost me. What is a trek compared to a backpacking trip? I eat about the same on a one nite trip or five nite. If you cant eat it out of the package or pour hot water on it I dont put it on my back. I am not trying to be wise but what is a duty free? Have to go , my daughter is packing for a school trip too your city this weekend .

W

Weary Wanderer

Hi Madman, do you really drag along all that food which you usualy "consumpt" omn a trail? Usually a trail, e.g. on AT, takes a week. I don't know, but carriying along water bags, dry rations, taking care of them, minding their expiration day...Hey, we are off not for a picnic. Really, no offence. Better care about such little things as gear, itinerary and enjoying the pristine beauty.

madman

I noticed you all mention Fantastic Foods. Ihave never seen this here in ct is it like Cup A Soup, or is it something you simmer. Can you find in most grocery stores?

MtnMagic

Hannafords & Shaws carry them and I'm certain other large supermarkets carry them also. It is a wonderful backpacking freeze-dried soup as the contents weigh only 2 ounces and the rugged plastic coated cup about another ounce. And the meal is big. In fact the cup has large letters that read "Big soup." I've opened the seal and added more goodies and glued it before. Once not as well as I wished! They also contains way less than half the sodium as most others. E.g. about 18% vs 50%+.

Each soup is all natural w/o artifical flavors, preservatives, and no msg. The price is way less that the others also. Heat the water, pour it in and in just 2-3 minutes start eating. Try a couple of their soups on a cold day. You'll taste way we like them.

www.fantasticfoods.com or 1.800.288.1089 will hook you up with a store that carries them. Enjoy!

madman

I tried the Fantastic Foods Couscous + the Cha Cha Chili this weekend GREAT STUFF. THANKS. As I am a minimalist I will put the contents in a small zip loc and find a slightly larger mug than i now use. Weary Wanderer seems to think I carry tons of food and gallons of water .I carry enough to live. Last time I looked [Pristine Beauty ] was good for my head but didnt do s#@t for my tummy. And when you need water go for the nearest stream dont carry any more than you need. NH Hiker asked what everyone eats , I say again keep it simple and lite eat gourmet at home

W

Weary Wanderer

Hi madman, Fantastic Foods offers its customers all kind of products of different kinds of preparation. They even have special 'packages' for vegetarians, some special diary or in the contrast dietary offers. I think they are quite popular, so I would go with an "yes" answer to yor question.

madman said:
I noticed you all mention Fantastic Foods. Ihave never seen this here in ct is it like Cup A Soup, or is it something you simmer. Can you find in most grocery stores?

blacknblue

Shouldn't have read this before lunch... now I'm hungry!
Lots of good suggestions and new things for me to try. Personally, I like to bring along Carnation instant breakfast thingys: lots of the stuff you need and easy to do with powdered milk. I eat a pretty moderate breakfast usually--dried fruits, granola, etc., snack throughout the day, and eat a big dinner as I settle down for the evening. My favorite snack mix is simply a box of Low-Fat Granola w/ Raisins cereal (Kellogg's?) mixed with a 20-oz. bag of M&Ms. Simple, yet oh-so-good! Dinners are my time for a hot item such as the stuff already mentioned (couscous, pastas, prepared meals), and a bagel to mop up whatever's left over at the bottom of the pot.
Of course, the best part is going to GH Pizzeria in Lincoln when I'm all done.