• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Wipe-outs revisited....

I know there was a thread about bad wipe-outs before but that was when there were less AZers on here. Tell us about some of your best wipeouts. Here are a few of mine.

Nearly Decapitated @ Stowe...

I was a sophomore at UVM and I attended the 1999 Ski Vermont Discussion list Partee at Stowe. In Ski Vermont fashion..we poached alot of runs including a group poach of Chin-Clip. I was in the front of a group of about 15 skiers and riders..heading down the top of Nosedive towards a closed Bypas...When I went to duck under the rope at moderate speed..The rope caught my forehead and I had quite a yardsale. All my gear was strewn around and the rope was down so I officially opened the trail. I just got a little shaken up but I know somebody broke their neck doing a similar maneuver at Killington years later.

GSS messes up wiring on Nastar course:

Back in 2006..I caught the racing bug and hit up Thursday night Nastar at Blue religiously from 6:30PM to 8:30PM. Based on the crowds..I could get up to a dozen runs on the 25 second course. One night it was really cold and windy which made the course very icy with frozen ruts..but also very fast. One of the runs..about 4 gates from the finish..I hit a divot at a weird angle and was thrown to my left shoulder then in trying to slow to a stop I somehow ended up on my back. I took out a gate then ended up taking out a bunch of wiring and hit the timing laser. When I got up..the timing laser was pointed at the sky. I luckily didn't get injured and it took them about 10 minutes to fix the timing device and the gates. At the top waiting for the next run..the line was so freaking long due to the delay.

Greg

Staff member
Sure there's no beer involved tonight? Post to the right forum, toolbox... :roll:

;)

MR. evil

Powhunter at the 2008 Sundown Mogul comp. Just watch the last 5 seconds of the video. I still laugh my but off everytime I see it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I call it worst wipe out revisited

January 4th, 1994 on Nor'Easter at Okemo. Our GS course for race practice was set up on the lower portion of the trail. We were instructed by the coaches to practice Super G turns on the steeper upper portion of the trail. It was super hard pack and a bitter cold day, so I had my hood up, neck warmer tucked up under my goggles etc. I'm guessing I was going 50 mph plus skiing with my friend Tom. With the hood up my peripheral vision and hearing was not what it normally is nor was his. I was making a turn to the left, he a turn to the right, we didn't see each other and I went over the back of skis. The caused me to go head over heals straight into the ground. Apparently I hit and then did several flips each time crashing with my head completely cartwheeling down the trail.

I ended up a good hundred yards downhill from the initial impact, was completely knocked out, separated shoulder and no feeling in my left arm. When I came too, one of the ski coaches was wiping the snow off my face. I actually skied down to the lodge as I had some 'safety supplies' in my jacket I wanted to ditch that I knew if I went straight to ski patrol with the coach, the bastard would rifle through my jacket and I could get booted off the team. I went to the lodge and gave my jacket to a friend to bring back to school. Seeing triple I went to ski patrol. I was put on a gurney and taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Total damage: major concussion, fractured C7 vertebrae, dislocated shoulder and season over. Definitely my worst wreck.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I know there was a thread about bad wipe-outs before but that was when there were less AZers on here. Tell us about some of your best wipeouts. Here are a few of mine.

Nearly Decapitated @ Stowe...

I was a sophomore at UVM and I attended the 1999 Ski Vermont Discussion list Partee at Stowe. In Ski Vermont fashion..we poached alot of runs including a group poach of Chin-Clip. I was in the front of a group of about 15 skiers and riders..heading down the top of Nosedive towards a closed Bypas...When I went to duck under the rope at moderate speed..The rope caught my forehead and I had quite a yardsale. All my gear was strewn around and the rope was down so I officially opened the trail. I just got a little shaken up but I know somebody broke their neck doing a similar maneuver at Killington years later.

GSS messes up wiring on Nastar course:

Back in 2006..I caught the racing bug and hit up Thursday night Nastar at Blue religiously from 6:30PM to 8:30PM. Based on the crowds..I could get up to a dozen runs on the 25 second course. One night it was really cold and windy which made the course very icy with frozen ruts..but also very fast. One of the runs..about 4 gates from the finish..I hit a divot at a weird angle and was thrown to my left shoulder then in trying to slow to a stop I somehow ended up on my back. I took out a gate then ended up taking out a bunch of wiring and hit the timing laser. When I got up..the timing laser was pointed at the sky. I luckily didn't get injured and it took them about 10 minutes to fix the timing device and the gates. At the top waiting for the next run..the line was so freaking long due to the delay.

got a stowe one. you know where on chin clip starts. well you know how early in the season there is a lip that builds up from where they make snow on gondolier. we got an early dump so we poached chin clip but when i ollied of the lip i thought i would tweak frontside grab a little. long story short, the nose of my board caught the rope and i blew up. it was in 2' so it was dam fun but the snow was so light that when i landed it looked like a bomb went off.

Bostonian

So far the best wipe-out this year was skiing at Sunday River... I was coming down vortex and it was a bit icy... I don't quite remember how it happened, although I do remember flying off a ledge, coming crashing down on my ribs, cracking the rib i cracked the year before trying to snowboard.... Losing a ski up slope, and sliding down out of control on my stomach with one ski still on... Eventually I came to a stop near the trees, and a bit shaken up I finally got up. My friends decided to call ski patrol since I was getting up fast enough, even though I was pretty much okay just a bit shaken from this monumental belly flop on ice. I finally get my other ski (graciously brought down by another skier), and get on my skis to ski the rest of the way down. As I get to the bottom of the trail, the ski patrol comes down and asks me if I need a lift on the stretcher... :) So even though I was very much sore, I did flatly refuse and rode the chair up to the top and traversed my way back down to the base and proceeded to the foggy goggle :)

Warp Daddy

Ripping down Versnt Soleil side of tremblant at Mach Schnell on a less than blubird day so was skiing the edge of the trail for better perspective -- or so i thought !!

Hit a bunch of serious Death CAKES not cookies flew out over the front of the skis suddenly felt like im in a slo- mo video and remebmer thinking ---RELAX don't tense up this IS FRIGGIN gonna hurt so keep quiet and keep your legs behind you ! I was airborne and flew down slope probably with the skid and the ROOSTERTAIL went bout 300 yds or so . Helmet saved my head , Nothin saved my right wrist even tho i tossed my poles in flight .I

I had a rough MUSCLE pull in the lower abdomen/groin . My buddies rushed off for the ski patrol except for one that stayed with me -- After a while I got back up, clicked in to them dazed and confused and finished the run( knowing i had to or i might never ski again) . My other buddies and the patrollers were looking all over the Soleil for me and could believe i skied away from that one

WE skied all that day and the next one our last day of that trip.

I have twice broken wrists and once got whacked by a new boarder but never had a scarier speed related incident than this one .

2knees

most embarrasing for me was years ago at Powder Ridge. They used to have wooden corral fences for the liftline. I was coming down towards the lift, caught and edge and plowed straight into the fence. knocked the upper bar out of the fence and took out a few people.

most spectacular may have been last year at magic. was coming down twilight zone after Greg. I underestimated just how slow he is :razz: and right near the bottom it was either plow into him or veer off into the gully, skiers right on the runout. hit the face of the gully which was almost a complete wall. skis stopped dead, double release, flew through the air head first and landed upside down on my head. complete lawn dart move.

Geoff

most embarrasing for me was years ago at Powder Ridge. They used to have wooden corral fences for the liftline. I was coming down towards the lift, caught and edge and plowed straight into the fence. knocked the upper bar out of the fence and took out a few people.

I did something like that once.

Back around 1988 when Killington's Bear Mountain was at its height, I skied into the Devil's Fiddle lift corral at speed from the Fiddle runout. At the last second, some touron who was milling around walked right across the entrance of the lane I was aiming for. I didn't quite make it over to the next lane and hit the metal pole dead center. I knocked the pole down and bruised a couple of ribs for my efforts. My friends all had a good laugh at my expense since I had the wind knocked completely out of me and couldn't talk for about 5 minutes.

JimG.

Staff member
most spectacular may have been last year at magic. was coming down twilight zone after Greg. I underestimated just how slow he is :razz: and right near the bottom it was either plow into him or veer off into the gully, skiers right on the runout. hit the face of the gully which was almost a complete wall. skis stopped dead, double release, flew through the air head first and landed upside down on my head. complete lawn dart move.

An all time classic.

You were awarded perfect 10's for that wipe.

Truly spectacular, a masterpiece.

Greg

Staff member

An all time classic.

You were awarded perfect 10's for that wipe.

Truly spectacular, a masterpiece.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. 2knees himself, admitted I was responsible for that. Way to to take ownership of your lack of steeze, Pat.... :roll:

I lawn darted on Rumble this year in a melted out waterbar. Just ask bvibert or Zand. I had frozen mud on one ski for the rest of the day.

2knees

2knees himself, admitted I was responsible for that. Way to to take ownership of your lack of steeze, Pat.... :roll:

ahh come on, its just a little ball bustin.

I have no steeze and freely admit it.

SIKSKIER

This was scared the crap out of me.I caught first tram up Cannon and inspected the terrain under the tram and found it to be groomed to perfection.A few of the boys would race the tram down to try and get on the same car.Everything looke great so out the door we go,click in real quick and start out immediately in a tuck down Tramway trail.At the bottom of Tramway trail it turns into By-pass and my speed was probably over 50 at that point.Right when I was coming onto By-pass I see the ski patrol on the side looking like he's waving at me so I lift my arm to wave and WAM!,I get clotheslined with a rope.Patrol had just put up the rope after I went by on the tram.He was trying to warn me and it's a good thing cuz when I lifted my arm the rope hit it first or it would have been my neck.My arm got tangled briefly as almost completly stopped me from 50 to zero in 1 second.Needless to say my arm was shredded and turned every color you ever seen.Worse though was how shaken I was realizing that should have been my last run.Still makes me quiver to think about it today.

prisnah

This winter at SR I was hitting this rock drop in the trees a few times one day during USCSA National Championships week with some dude I met on the lift. All went well the first few times, then I tried to send it way too hard, didn't check my speed at all and overshot the landing. By the time I touched down there was a tree right in front of me and I turned hard left to avoid it. My skis came out from under me and I fell sideways. No big deal......until I noticed that my mouth hurt a bit.

This guy who was spotting me skied over and told me my lip was hanging off my face and I was bleeding like crazy. Long story short, I ended up going to the Health Center a few hours later and getting 4 stitches put in my face. The Doc said the wound was star shaped and suggested it looked like I had possibly put my pole tip through my lip somehow.

All in all, if that is what had happened I feel lucky that it just went through my lip and not into my neck, which would have been much worse.

millerm277

The Doc said the wound was star shaped and suggested it looked like I had possibly put my pole tip through my lip somehow.

Actually why I don't wear pole straps anymore, after having one stab me hard enough in the chest and arm on a fall to leave a bruise bad enough that I couldn't move normally for a couple weeks without severe pain. Decided it's just better to have to pick the poles up later.

My best were probably the above mentioned one (That was at Hunter, on Belt Parkway of all places..), and a time at Killington, when I wasn't paying attention....went down Superstar Headwall, forgot about the compression effect from the transition to the Launch Pad crossover, and completely lost it.