• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blues CD recommendation?

ComeBackMudPuddles

I sometimes listen to a jazz station on my local radio that sometimes features a "blues hour".

I like what I hear, but really know nothing about it.

Anyone have some good recommendations for a one or two-CD sampler set?

Thanks.

dmc

Delta Blues? Texas Blues? Chicago Blues?

ITunes has a good Blues Sampler...

Otherwise - start at Stevie Ray Vaughn and work your way back! :)

amf

If you want a good sampler of old style Chicago blues (seems to be what motivated all the Brit bands in the 60's & 70's), there are 3 good downloads (scroll down for Chicago blues vol 1, 2, & 3) at:

http://zerogsound.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

Its a legit download site; the free downloads are limited to 100 mb or less and 1 download per day or something like that. Some good stuff.

Moe Ghoul

Consider listening to it chronologically, from the earliest blues artists to the current ones. It gives you a greater appreciation of its development and huge influence on rock n roll from the stones to zep to white stripes.

Sky

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee (MacGee?) are two old timers (prolly both dead by now) who played together for years...good stuff if you can find it. Guitar and harmonica and two old voices.

Harmonica? James Cotton wails on a harp and has a strong band backup. Check him out. I saw him in a club many years ago. Aw yeah...horns, guitars, harmonica, etc.

Classic...BB King. That voice and that guitar! I've got a CD where he and Eric Clapton play together...recent release (6 yrs ago?).

Most stores have a blues section and are equipped with that "sample before you buy" technology. Hop to it!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Delta Blues? Texas Blues? Chicago Blues?

ITunes has a good Blues Sampler...

Otherwise - start at Stevie Ray Vaughn and work your way back! :)

Cereal, just get the best of SRV and DT, that's a good start. Clapton and B.B. King's Riding with the King is another good starter.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Thanks all for the ideas.

I ended up ordering this CD, which might not impress the blues hounds, but it sounded OK from my listen on Amazon. I wanted to get a sampling before buying CDs from specific artists.

Track listing:

1. Get Next To Me - B.B. King
2. Hand It Over - Keb Mo'
3. Good Day For The Blues - Ruth Brown
4. How Could You Do It? - Henry Gray
5. Cakewalk Into Town - Taj Mahal
6. She's Into Something - Albert Collins
7. Hello, San Francisco (Part I) - Sugar Pie Desanto
8. Call Me Baby - Raful Neal
9. I Got The Blues - Otis Rush
10. Sunpie Barnes - Sunpie's Romp & Stomp
11. Needed Time - Eric Bibb