• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another derailleur...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Was out on the regular ride this morning in the woods before work. Riding on a non-techy area of trail and just got a little stick in there. I stopped immediately once I heard the noise, but it was too late, when I looked it was already mangled and had snapped. This is I think the 3rd or 4th one :( And this last one was one of the new shadow versions.... $100. :( Going at lunch to get a new one.

WJenness

Another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust.

Ders seem to be a frequent problem with MTBing (from what I've been reading here).

Is there a market out there for a tougher der that doesn't die when sticks are sucked in?

-w

gmcunni

do you start thinking of derailleurs as disposable items? being new to the sport i can't see the benefit of spending the extra $$ on a good one when they seem to be so fragile.

marcski

do you start thinking of derailleurs as disposable items? being new to the sport i can't see the benefit of spending the extra $$ on a good one when they seem to be so fragile.

I've been going through them like rubbers....Perhaps I should look at something below an XT. My drivetrail just runs so nice and tight with one of those...I think I might have to stick with it.

thats why I ride ss

I think this is perhaps the only answer to this problem...

Greg

Staff member
I've been lucky all summer and have avoided any major mechanicals including the rear derailluer. My day is coming I suppose...

gorgonzola

ouch, the shadow's low profile too.....the worst is seemingly harmless sticks on/along the trail. knock on wood - i've blown through probably 5-6 hangers but only 1 derailer. i do look at mtb's as a collection of disposable parts when you consider you're taking your bike out and continously smashing it against rocks and logs, somethings gonna break

cbcbd

I've yet to break a derailleur, but the hanger has gone many a time... which I guess it is doing it's job.
Is your hanger pretty beefy?

i do look at mtb's as a collection of disposable parts when you consider you're taking your bike out and continously smashing it against rocks and logs, somethings gonna break
Lol, so true. From all my sports, I think MTB is the most initially and continuously expensive one gear-wise.

tjf67

I've been going through them like rubbers....Perhaps I should look at something below an XT. My drivetrail just runs so nice and tight with one of those...I think I might have to stick with it.

I think this is perhaps the only answer to this problem...

Tryi putting an extra link in the chain. It wont shift as smooth but you will have an extra split second to stop before the derailer breaks

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com

Try the Shimano Hone if you can find one! Supposed to be super beefy and can take a beating.

I have been thinking about going shadow with my IH. I am on my second hanger after 200 miles of riding (1 year). Pretty good I would say. However, like Tequiladog, I also ride SS and don't have those worries.

bvibert

Staff member
Why would you want a stronger hanger? The whole point of replaceable hangers is that they're supposed to bend and/or break before you damage your derailleur.

cbcbd

Why would you want a stronger hanger? The whole point of replaceable hangers is that they're supposed to bend and/or break before you damage your derailleur.
Agree.
There was a time when I was pissed at how bendable and breakable my hanger was... but I've yet to damage my derailleur and I've knocked it around plenty.

marcski

Agree.
There was a time when I was pissed at how bendable and breakable my hanger was... but I've yet to damage my derailleur and I've knocked it around plenty.

You know, I didn't question him too much on that part. I picked it up after work and wanted to get home in time to see the baby before she was in bed. He said, the old one was not really bent so much, but shredded...I think he said the threads inside, where the derailleur gets screwed into it.

I love my bike, it takes a licking and the cranks keep turning. (with a new part or 2 thrown in every once in a while). I ride a Kona Dawg Dee-lux.

Great ride this morning, she's riding beautifully. Oh, he also adjusted my rear rebound..made it faster and I have to tell you, it made a noticeable difference on the trails this morning. Perfect weather for riding!!!

cbcbd

He said, the old one was not really bent so much, but shredded...I think he said the threads inside, where the derailleur gets screwed into it.
Odd how it would strip the threads on it's own, although when I got a new rear der for the mtb it was because I was an idiot and stripped the derailleur's allen socket used to screw it to the hanger - probably from me overtorquing the derailleur. I broke my hanger and couldn't separate the two without damaging the derailleur... so a new one it was... and hey, now I have spare parts for that one :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The point of soft derailleur hanger is not to break before the derailleur, it's to break before the frame does!

You'll notice chromolly frames don't have replaceable hangers. It's because chromolly is far more malleable than aluminum so if you bend the hanger, you just bend it back.

Aluminum is prone to a change at the crystal level called strain hardening. As soon as it goes into plastic deformation (bends and stays bent) it becomes very hard and brittle. So it is hard to bend back straight and is prone to breaking.

That's why all aluminum frames comes with replaceable hangers, but you don't see it on titanium (usually) or steel frames.

I've only broken one derailleur in almost nine years of riding. It was a stick too, on the road. I definitely don't think of my derailleurs as wear items. If mainted well, a high quality piece will last years. The key is keeping the pivots clean and oiled.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
For a familar example of strain hardening, look at a paper clip. Try to bend it perfectly straight. Hard to get those bends out of it, isn't it? It's because they've strain hardened. The more extreme the deformation, that harder it gets until it fractures.