newbie skis?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newbie skis?

newbie skis?

Ok so im new hear as im sure you can tell.

I did try to search a bit on this and i hope im in the right place. I have not been sking since i was 8 years old. Im 23 now. I do remember however racing my dad down the mountain at a young age and i did pick it up very easily when i was younger. I told myself i was going to find the time this year to go a lot. I have been to several local ski shops to look at skis and i seem to be told two things by the people working there.

dynastar that were 400$ with binding

Or Rosignol that were also $400 with binding. Both 154 my size cuz im short. I know its a large question but can any one offer benefits of either of them? Better quality or suggest something else? Im trying to stay in that price range cuz i still have to get boots also.
    Im just looking for a good all around mountain ski, and can someone explain what piste means. I have seen 40% on of ect and dont know what it means.

Thanks
    Last edited by automagp68; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:49 AM.

You might want to take a lesson and rent before committing to equipment purchases. Just to see if you like it still.

Welcome to AZ! Piste = trail or run.
    I ski double black diamonds.

I have thought of that as well, Which is more than likely what i am going to do.
    I am thinking that i will get used to it very quickly and should i enjoy it again will make a purchase. So im doing my homework a little early.

I was just tying to get a sense of what people like. Also

If somethin says 40% off pieste where else are we riding besides trails?
    Like open ranges non groomed i assume? So a ski for 100% piste would be for just groomed trails? Thanks for the help sorry for the dumb questions.

Quote Originally Posted by automagp68 View Post
    If somethin says 40% off pieste where else are we riding besides trails?
    Like open ranges non groomed i assume? So a ski for 100% piste would be for just groomed trails? Thanks for the help sorry for the dumb questions.
    Off piste basically refers to anything other than a groomed trail. So the woods, powder, etc.
    I ski double black diamonds.

I agree with Greg. Rent first to see if you take to the sport again. Getting into skiing is easier as an 8 year old than as a 23 year old. You'll probably have to start on really short skis (almost snowblades) just to learn the basics of carving. Then, as your skill level improves, demo higher end and newer skis so you can experience the differences out there. The regular rental skis are pretty low end so that's a good base on which to build.

If you're still interested in the sport and want to invest, buy boots first. Get the best fit possible. After you have the boots, buy the skis. I got my beginner pair of skis for about $200 (with bindings). I was done with them after one season though. Good luck and welcome to Alpinezone!
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Ok so we hit wachusette today, did the rental like greg recomended. Was a good time, only about killed myself twice. Just hung out on the beginner trails but was a lot of fun.

It was very choppy and made getting back into it harder with coming to quick stops.
    So my question is this.

In general rental ski's are not of the highest quality right?, (they had "Head") i used a 150 but im only 5'6 so normally would of wanted a 154. if some of you use head dont be upset, i have no idea how good or bad they are! lol
    Which leads me to the actual question.

Are they good?, Would the volki's i i mentioned before be better or worse? Just trying to make life easier. My local place has these 154 volki's last years model they were like 600$ now there 350 with binding. Thought it might be a good place to start. Thanks for any advice.

my 2 cents. note - i'm not an instructor, nor do i play one here.

a good pair of skis would likley help you advance quicker after a few lessons + days on the slopes. how much quicker really depends on you.

key is to get the right type of ski for your skill level. $350 isn't bad for a ski and binding package (you don't mention which model volkl) but if you shop around you can get a full season rental for 1/3 of that. Would you get 3+ years out of these $350 skis? my son has been skiing for 6 years now. i rent for him every year, partially becauase he's growing and size would chagne every year but also because he's learning and his skill keeps improving. The skis he used 3 years ago are not appropriate for his skill level today.

if you are athletic and a quick learner perhaps it is a good deal. you'll also find that there are different styles of skiing and different styles of skis to match.

personally, i'd keep renting (get seasonal for convience and lower cost) and invest once you are hooked and find what type of skiing you enjoy.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by automagp68 View Post
    Ok so we hit wachusette today, did the rental like greg recomended. Was a good time, only about killed myself twice. Just hung out on the beginner trails but was a lot of fun.

It was very choppy and made getting back into it harder with coming to quick stops.
    So my question is this.

In general rental ski's are not of the highest quality right?, (they had "Head") i used a 150 but im only 5'6 so normally would of wanted a 154. if some of you use head dont be upset, i have no idea how good or bad they are! lol
    Which leads me to the actual question.

Are they good?, Would the volki's i i mentioned before be better or worse? Just trying to make life easier. My local place has these 154 volki's last years model they were like 600$ now there 350 with binding. Thought it might be a good place to start. Thanks for any advice.
    Most manufacturers will have excellent models somewhere in their product line, so asking if "Volkls" or "Head" are good skis is not a specific enough question. There's alot to learn about the tremendous amount of skis out there. If you ask people to suggest specific models you're going to get a hundred different responses. For example, my response is to check out the Dynastar Legend 3800, from the sound of your skill level, or the Legend 4800. I suggest a ton of internet research if you have the patience.

I'd also suggest a lesson; a private one if you're willing to spend the money. Good luck.

You might want to also consider renting ski's and boots for the season. Most ski shops offer season rentals of new and used gear. My local shop rents used skis and boots for the entire season for $140 and new for $170. They also offer an option to purchase the gear at the end of the season if you like it. We are going to be doing the rental thing for one of my nephews that is still growing like a week. BTW, the gear my shop rents is not entry level stuff, its intermediate level gear.

The shop is Colorado Ski Outlet in West Springfield Ma.. They also have some killer deals on left over gear.The last time I was there they has last seaons Dynastar Contact 8's with bindings for about $250.

Thanks for all the recomendations and comments.

I would consider renting for the year. I just dont want to rent ski's i wont enjoy.

It seems like those of you that suggest renting for the year all ahve people who do so that are still growing. I am not however. So that makes me consider buying. I spend 170 to rent, then next year another 170 and now i coulda bought the set i was looking at. That is my only concern. And after renting for two years i dont ahve anything i could sell or trade in. That is why i was consdiering buying some entry level stuff. I found out the model of the volkis i was looking at. Tiger Motions 154, i think the guy said. I know they were originally 599 i think. Any thoughts on those?

Although i did very well saturday, and it was like riding a bike, i may take a lesson still.

Thanks

Thread Information