• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for the mogul skiers

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Looks like there's a few of you in here:wink: What skis do you use? I have Fischer RC4's and Cool Heats. I'm looking for a softer flexing all mountain or twin tip that might help me in the bumps.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I'm on K2 CaBrawlers right now, awaiting my new Hart F17s which are in the mail.

I don't know what to tell you for an all-mt or twin tip... I haven't researched anything but bump-specific skis in quite some time.

But.......

Feel free to stop over at www.mogulskiing.net and http://forums.mogulskiing.net and ask for some advice. We've got plenty of experts in the field of mogul skiing over there.

mondeo

Mogul skis are over rated:stirpot:
Shaped skis are over rated.

I'm with BMM, in that I only use bump skis. Crud, hard pack, powder, whatever. They do fine for me.

But if you're going with an all mountain ski that can do decently in the bumps, look for a soft tip (not necessarily tail,) narrow, and lower sidecut. Mount the bindings forward and detune the tip and tails.

jack97

Looks like there's a few of you in here:wink: What skis do you use? I have Fischer RC4's and Cool Heats. I'm looking for a softer flexing all mountain or twin tip that might help me in the bumps.

I have Dynastar twisters. They have the "shape" of a late 90 early 2000 ski.

I don't like the newer models since the tips for current gen all mnt is going over 115 mm. The reason why is in the bumps, you want to keep the legs close together. The wider tips gets in the way of each other, sometimes crossing, in my case, thats the kiss of death. :(

Given such, I would stay away from present generation twin tips. One thought I was toying around with is getting older skis around the years I mentioned with a softer flex. Dynastar skicross9 or a rossi b1 bandit (back when the tips were around 108).

Greg

Staff member
K2 Cabrawlers. I also have Dynastar Legend 8000s which are okay in the bumps, but that's really my all mountain ski. If I'm spending my day in the bumps, it's the Cabs. Also, the Dynastar Nothing But Troubles like downhill04 has seem like a good all mountain ski that should work pretty well in the bumps. Softish and little sidecut.

I find it interesting that people who have never skied on bump skis can consider them overrated.

SkiDork

F17's are really making a splash of late.

f17%20lightbox%20image.png

deadheadskier

Staff member
I find it interesting that people who have never skied on bump skis can consider them overrated.

you may be right. my statement was made purely on experience with bump skis of yesteryear.....15 years ago. I had Rossi and Salomon bump specific skis at the time and would often ski bumps on my GS skis without noticing too much of a difference or at least not enough to warrant someone getting a bump specific ski unless that's what they do 90% of the time, which it I don't think the thread starter is looking to do. I'd be interested to try a pair, so I can comment on the current technology.

gmcunni

fwiw, i ski volkl 724s, all mountain skis, in the bumps(115-77-104). they work fine for me and are great out of the bumps too.

Greg

Staff member
you may be right. my statement was made purely on experience with bump skis of yesteryear.....15 years ago. I had Rossi and Salomon bump specific skis at the time and would often ski bumps on my GS skis without noticing too much of a difference or at least not enough to warrant someone getting a bump specific ski unless that's what they do 90% of the time, which it I don't think the thread starter is looking to do. I'd be interested to try a pair, so I can comment on the current technology.

You already got it in your head that you won't notice a big difference so you probably won't. I don't think you need bump skis to ski bumps, but for me it makes it more fun and a bit easier. Guys like MrMagic on a 105mm waisted Black Diamond and gmcunni on his 724s both rip bumps so it really is the skier, not the ski.

2knees

for me it was the price tag.

NINETY NINE DOLLARS.

i dont think it makes much difference at all. the biggest thing for me is the lack of shape. you dont step on your tips like you do with normal shaped skis.

bvibert

Staff member
I got mogul skis just to be cool. I just hang around in front of the lounge holding them so everyone thinks I'm core. Then I go home, without ever actually skiing them.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It's just nice to ski on a skinny ski with very little sidecut. I have no trouble skiing the zipper on all-mt skis, but they are certainly more awkward based on their construction.

I am excited to try out the F17s, and will post a full review on mogulskiing.net.

bvibert

Staff member
Dude... you're so awesome! Can I have your autograph???

:wink:

Seriously I bought some Head mogul skis last season for two reasons;
1-They were cheap ($99).
2-When I ski at my home mountain I ski in the moguls 99% of the time.

To be honest I don't notice a huge difference between them and my 84mm waist all mountain skis. Then again I suck, so that's not saying much. When I do manage to keep my stance nice and tight I do notice that the tips and tails don't get caught up on each other with the bump skis like they do on my all mountain skis.