• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GS11 vs RaceTiger

camhabib

After going to take a look at the 190 GS11 Race Stocks, I can see what everyone was talking about that they may (may is an understatement) be too large. After some debate, I've decided a 183 size ski would work better. I won't be able to get the deal so I thought to myself, why not take a look at some of the other skis if I’m going to be paying full price. I'm going to be demoing the GS11 Race Stock in a 183 this weekend as well as a pair of Race Tigers in probably a 180. My question is, which of the two do you like better? Benefits and fallbacks of each? Difference in response and feel? Thanks.

skidon

If you have a chance, take them through a timed race course. Many mountains have NASTAR courses set up that anybody can run. Get the pair you're fastest on. (duh) The GS11 and Racetiger are both great skis, but I personally like the Volkl better. It is sold as a "flat" ski, which means you have many more choices of lifters and bindings. Different lifters, especially, can have dramatically different effects on the flex and dampening characteristics of the ski. You can use this to your advantage in setting up the ski so that it works best for you. This is especially important for lighter-weight racers, where a race stock ski with a full-on race plate might be too stiff of a combination. With the GS11, you have to use the lifter that comes on the ski and an Atomic binding. If that works for you, great. If not, there's not much you can do other than re-tuning the skis.

Rushski

Personally a huge Volkl fan. They have always had the best (or nearly best)skis across all categories.

Their race skis have been great as long as I can remember...