• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett Skiers out here?

O

oldhippie

So how many WaWa skiers we got out here? I am strcitly a WaWa night and weekday skier. I don't go near that place during the weekend days or holidays. (but, that's pretty much true of my skiing in general)

I live 30 minutes from Wachusett and actually grew up on it's back door in West Fitchburg (Many of you know of Fitchburg, it is close to, but not actually in America.) so I skied Mt Wachusett as early as 1963~64..way back then. It really *ucked back then. The two T-bars were never both operational for more than 30 or so minutes at a time, and sometimes it'd be a week before one of them ran again. There was no snowmaking and the trails were multi-colored from the Ptex being gouged out by protrucding boulders. The "facilities" were non-existent were Porta-potties. the only place heated was the ski patrol and ski-shop and they'd kick you out of the ski shop after it bacame apparent you weren't going to buy anything. there was no lodge, there was a hot-dog stand trailer near lifts and they served cokes, coffee, hot chocolate and "dirty-water dogs". there were a few picnic tables to sit on. It took a couple more years before the built the first "lodge", at least it had indoor plumbing!

My Dad would drive me up there before work everyday, like at 7:00AM and I'd climb till the lifts opened at 9:00. On the weekends the lines would be huge. Even back then.

I have some great memories of the place though, and still ski it on weekdays and weeknights, and even some weekend nights. It's a great place to get in some local practice and it even has some vertical to go with it.

These days, their snowmaking is impressive. The mountain is small enough and they have invested enough in the snowmaking equipment so as to literally cover the entire mountain with enough snow to ski in about 3 days. Their staff is, in my opinion, excellent. The lodge isn't big enough to hold the crowd on a crowded day, but where is it? Sometimes the LTM (local teenage monsters) need to be managed by someone other than their parents, cause the parents aren't there and the kids aren't capable of doing normal things like talking out loud without using the "F" word every other sentence, or getting in line like normal people, but I've been able to deal with that. The downhill capacity is more of an issue than the uphill capacity.

So, who are my WaWa buddies out here and when do you ski? Maybe we can hook up some night and ski IRL.

:beer:

O

oldhippie

Demo Day Jan 10th

I forgot to mention..

from the website..

"Don't miss the DEMO FEST on January 10th . . . all the big names in ski and snowboard gear including: Rossignol, Volkl, Atomic, Burton, Ride, and Fischer. Come take a ride on the best winter has to offer."

I think I will go to this, just to try some different boards.