• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ready to Roll for 2010.....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Chainrings can usually outlast chain and cassette at least one time. Less wear on the front cogs than the rears...

Yeah, but he's only mentioned new chainrings. Unless the chain and cassette are pretty new, I'd replace those too so there's no wear mismatch.

MR. evil

Yeah, but he's only mentioned new chainrings. Unless the chain and cassette are pretty new, I'd replace those too so there's no wear mismatch.

Also, with the insane amount of miles WoodCore did last season (over 1000 off road) I would go ahead and replace the chain and cassette along with the chain rings. I would probably also get a new BB.

Jisch

I have found that if I replace the chain early enough I can get a lot more life out of the expensive parts of the drivetrain. If I don't change the chain I'm lucky to get 1 season out of my drivetrain, if I change the train I can get 1.5 or 2 seasons.

I ride 3 times a week most of the year, more in the summer so I guess I do somewhere around 2000 miles in a year that's across 3 bikes so...

John

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I have found that if I replace the chain early enough I can get a lot more life out of the expensive parts of the drivetrain. If I don't change the chain I'm lucky to get 1 season out of my drivetrain, if I change the train I can get 1.5 or 2 seasons.

I ride 3 times a week most of the year, more in the summer so I guess I do somewhere around 2000 miles in a year that's across 3 bikes so...

John

Agreed, if you spend the $35-40 for a new chain when its about half-way stretched....you can usually replace the chain and get double the life out of the cogs both front and rear. I also ride about 2-3x a week through the off-season and well more during the season on both a road and a mountain rig. I got about 5000 miles out of the road drivetrain and replaced the chain 1x.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, with the insane amount of miles WoodCore did last season (over 1000 off road) I would go ahead and replace the chain and cassette along with the chain rings. I would probably also get a new BB.

Meh, you can tell if there is wear in the BB by feel. I don't replace that until it gets loose.

Jisch

If you have external BB (i.e. RaceFace or Shimano) you can get replacement bearings from Enduro - they last forever (unlike the RaceFace ones that came with my bike and lasted 2 months!

John

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yikes, what is it with companies nowadays. RF can't build bearings; FSA can't seem to figure out how to machine their own splines correctly:

P1010932.jpg

P1010937.jpg

I wonder if either of them are ISO 9000 companies.

WoodCore

Just to set the record straight I did replaced the chain and cassette towards the end of last year. :flag:

SKIQUATTRO

Glad to hear PP is still around, that was my shop as i grew up in Portland (went to Xavier)...did more road biking back then as mtn biking hadnt hit the scene yet..would like to get back up there and do some riding, i know there is some great stuff...just have to find it..

rig definitely needs an overhaul, but i am thinking about waiting to pull the trigger until mud season's over...i think i need new hibs as well...i beat the crap out of my bike, riding through the winter, and both hubs are loose

WoodCore

rig definitely needs an overhaul, but i am thinking about waiting to pull the trigger until mud season's over...i think i need new hibs as well...i beat the crap out of my bike, riding through the winter, and both hubs are loose

Get r' done now while things are still a bit sketchy! IMHO there's nothing worse than having a broken bike when the trails are in prime condition!

bvibert

Staff member
I'm starting to get pumped for the upcoming MTB season. MTB websites are now starting to make their way into my regular web browsing time. :beer:

Now I just need to get my damn front wheel back so I can put my bike back together! :smash:

MR. evil

What do plan on doing for a bike this season? Going to keep rockin the HT or get a FS?

Greg

Staff member
I looked at the bike hanging on the garage wall, and got a tiny bit psyched for MTB season. Still a lot of moguls to bash first though.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Change the bearings first. You can get new bearings dirt cheap through an industrial supply. They're usually 3/16" in the front and 1/4" in the back.

MR. evil

I still have stuff to do to both bikes to get them rolling for the season. I am going to focus on the HT first as it will be my mud season ride. I need to get both wheels tru'd and I am going to give up on the SS and set it up 1x9. It's just to slack to be a good SS. If I really like his bike I will eventually get a Hammerschmidt for it and try it out as a 2x1. On the FS I need new rubber, install the new SLX crankset that has been sitting in the basement and get some new flat pedals. I also need to rebuild the fork.

bvibert

Staff member
Change the bearings first. You can get new bearings dirt cheap through an industrial supply. They're usually 3/16" in the front and 1/4" in the back.

Depending on what kind of hubs he has of course. Could be cartridge bearings in there. If it is a cup and cone setup then it's a good idea to check out the bearing surfaces on the cups and cones to make sure they're not too worn or uneven, especially if the bike has been ridden for a while with loose bearings and/or dirt in there. Although I guess cleaning it out really good and getting some new bearings is still way cheaper than getting new hubs and lacing them into the wheels (might as well get some new rims while you're at it. ;) ), even if they're less than perfect.

Trev

Orded myself bashguard, new back tire (old one goes to the front), full finger gloves(half gloves are useless, ask my fingers) and something else that this lack of sleep has me forgetting... Oh Pedals ya.. pedals..

Anyhow, upper 50s.. as the week rolls on.. 60s next weekend...

Just need a tune up once that stuff comes in..

OH! And one of them fancy auto seat things... lol