• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

May Century

skibum1321

Okay, so I had mentioned a while back in the "Great Road Biking Weather Thread" about doing a century in May. So far we have Charlie, Marc and I that want to do it. I figured I would create a seperate thread to make it a little more visible. Is anyone else up for it? It is Sunday, May 21 and you can check out details at crw.org.

SKIQUATTRO

I believe May 21 is the Montauk Centruy here on Long Island. Great ride...I'll be doing it to start training for the annual Fall ride from the Tappan Zee Bridge over Bear Mountain all the way up and ending at Windham Mountain,,,,

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm ordering a new chain and bottle cages this weekend. And a new mini pump. So I'll be set to go for this crazy thing.

I'm ready to get schooled by all the old guys.

Charlie Schuessler

Chain & CO2 Pump

Marc said:
I'm ordering a new chain and bottle cages this weekend. And a new mini pump. So I'll be set to go for this crazy thing. I'm ready to get schooled by all the old guys.
FYI, I believe Performance Bike & Bike Nashbar may still have the SRAM 971 9-speed chain on sale (I'm assuming you're running a 9-speed setup)...regarding the pump, I've been using CO2 quickshot when on the road bike and replacing the CO2 with pumped air when I return home. The CO2 setup is lighter and zips into the underseat wedge without being exposed to weather or road conditions, they are not any more expensive than a bike frame pump. PLUS when your pumping up to 100-130-Lbs using just your index finger, well I think you get my point.

Charlie Schuessler

25, 50, 62, 100 Mile Options

skibum1321 said:
Okay, so I had mentioned a while back in the "Great Road Biking Weather Thread" about doing a century in May. So far we have Charlie, Marc and I that want to do it. I figured I would create a seperate thread to make it a little more visible. Is anyone else up for it? It is Sunday, May 21 and you can check out details at crw.org.
The Century Ride set up is not limited to the 102-mile course. They have course options for 20, 50 and 62 miles as well, you can make your decsion at the registration or as you go.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, I'm going to place an order this weekend.

I was seriously considering a CO2 system after pumping a road flat twice this summer with my mini pump. I got it to around 85 psi and was satisfied enough with that to head home on.

I never thought of repressurizing them yourself at home. How much pressure do you need to put into one of those cartridges to fill the volume of a road tube to 100 psi? Or an ATB tube to 45 psi?

The other thing I need is a new floor pump. A high quality one with a pressure gage. It's ludicrous they charge what they do for essentially a cylinder, a piston, a couple o-rngs and a tube and pressure gage.

trailertrash

cool

that would be cool though if there was some canister system for bikes that you could re-fill and re-use. does the paint ball can have a valve on it? its got some kind of mechanical connection other than piercing it right?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No, I think it'sbasically just like a big shraeder valve more or less. The threads are not standard, I believe they're CGA320 but I can ask the guys in the welding shop.

All you do is screw the thing on, open the fill bottle, adjust the regulator, open the fill valve, fill, close, unscrew the bottle and bleed off the fill line.

Actually, if you had a home co2 system for beer, and you could find an adapter, a valve and some extra hose, you could refil your own bottles. I can't imagine it is too expensive to have them filled somewhere but the convenience factor would be nice.

Charlie Schuessler

I meant refilling the tires with compressed air. I "properly dispose" the CO2 bottles. Replacement CO2 bottles can be purchased in 12 or 16 gram grades at most sporting goods stores.

I found Joe Blow floor pumps are priced reasonable and go up to 150-lbs with twin type fill-heads.

Charlie Schuessler

Update!

Due to road construction the 25-mile ride has been cancelled. The 50, 62 and 100 mile rides will be available to ride.

I'm feel ready for the 50 or the 62 mile rides, I need to focus on a few 4-5 hour rides between now and then to comfortably complete the Century.

Anybody else ready?

skibum1321

I'm ready to do it. I think I should be good for the 100 mile ride even though I haven't really done more than 40 miles at a time this spring. I've been riding a good amount and I'm starting to get excited for it.

You still in Marc? Anyone else want to do it?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Unfortunately, I can't make the century ride. Flying out to China.

I'll send back some pic's though. And maybe some chicken feet or some sht.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't know man, next weekend is probably my last opporunity to ski Tuck's, and ski period this season.

I can ride centuries all summer long...

Charlie Schuessler

Rainy Playdays...

Marc said:
I don't know man, next weekend is probably my last opporunity to ski Tuck's, and ski period this season.

I can ride centuries all summer long...
The weather forecast for the White Mountain Region the upcoming week is rain. The same in the Southern NH and Northern MA regions.

With the rain around here lately, there is not much outdoor training going on. I'm hoping next weekend is dry, maybe we'll get lucky...