Suggestions please for skis

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Suggestions please for skis

Need some help and guidance.

I can afford a single pair of skis this year - my budget is probably up to ~$600 max.

I'm replacing my Atomic Beta Ride 9.22's which have seen their fair share of days.

What I'm looking for and how I ski:

I like something all-mountain, I tend to do it all. I probably spend less time on groomers than I do in glades and on moguls. I occasionally hit the terrain park, so something I could actually attempt a 360 in would be good. e.g. at the AZ summit I spent the majority of my time in Brackett's Basin, and hit that smaller terrain park on the runout ... forget the name of the trail now. Also spent time on the moguls there.

Basically covering a lot of area

I like going "off the beaten path" a lot. Would also like to do some off-piste (like Tucks) next Spring.

So.... something versatile. I realize that wanting a set of skis that performs OK everywhere means they won't be GREAT anywhere, but them's the breaks. I will make do and I'm sure no matter what I end up with it will be leaps and bounds beyond my Atomics.

Suggestions welcome! I have some brand affinity for Atomics simply because I loved mine for so long, but I'm open to just about anything.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I'd suggest taking a look at last years Fischer Watea 84 there are some good closeout sales and bargains on the web for this ski.

"A versatile all mountain machine, the Watea 84 is a great choice for one quiver skiers who want one pair to ski the entire mountain well. Solid edge grip and stiffness for hard pack while being buttery smooth through trees and tight spots, Fischer has done an excellent job in designing this ski."

Not sure I'd want to be doing 360's on a Watea. But what do I know...

You're asking for a lot out of one ski. Why don't keep your current skis for the park rat in you and get the Watea for everything else?
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

My present skis suck in the park. I make e'm work.

Honeslty I haven't done a 360 in a long time but it's a goal of mine this year. I get very intimidated coming up to the lip.

Items for Sale
    I liked the Nordica Enforcers when I demoed them...the traditional camber version. Might be a good one to demo.

I ski on Heads, but they just completely redid their lineup and most of their skis are either (a) best for west coast bowl skiing, or (b) for hard pack.

Wateas are good.

In general, you want something a little more forgiving and that will turn quickly in the woods and bumps yet have some float.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    And the best time to buy is right about now. Ski swaps are good and tent sales are too, but the closer we get to the season, the less selection of holdovers there will be and the prices will creep back up. I'd say look for a 2009 or 2010 ski.

These guys have some good skis and good prices, but honestly they are getting a little bit picked over now. That said, here are some options:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Fisch...Tt-Powder-Skis

Another option: http://www.levelninesports.com/2011-...-Twin-Tip-Skis

But I can't stress the importance of demoing skis. If you can wait, demo before you buy!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Volkl Bridge

The new Alpine ski in Warwick was dealin huge on em a couple months ago.....

I think the watea is a decent call too......

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=98278

got these for very similar purposes that you're looking for, minus the park and a bit more hard snow performance as we see so much of it in the east.

check out the link to review on epicski for a more details. I did not demo the skis, but I'm pretty confident I'm going to love them.

in your price range as well.

Any thoughts on these Atomic Blackeye Ti?

http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skit...st=2010&id=158

The Blackeye has been Atomic's choice for our "versatile freeride ski" (70% piste/30% off-piste) for a number of years. The titanium-reinforced 2010 version cut a fine figure and got a 'special mention' from our reviewers. They were impressed by its design, its versatility and the overall level of performance. The Blackeye Ti is great for athletic skiers looking for an all-round ski that performs well on all types of snow and all terrains. It is suitable for all levels from the intermediary skier to the expert.
    err... although i just realized they are a couple hundred over my budget

What does the underfoot width make a difference in? Edge transitions?

Thread Information