• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Map of Backcountry Ski Tours

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Obviously anything I learn about in confidence is not made public, and so, yes, there are some tours not listed. But in general I'm in favor of expanding the realm of known backcountry terrain for the growing community. I'd rather have people spread out at 100 different known sites than the limited number in Goodman's book. I do place some value in the idea of allowing those who venture to "discover" for themselves- and I recognize that published reports somewhat diminish that aspect of their experience, however I think that protecting a limited number of spots from overcrowding outweighs that consideration. I also think that each year the conditions and sometimes even the terrain (see Hillman's) change which continue to offer that sense of adventure and discovery. I'm interested to hear your thoughts though, David, as I imagine you've given the issue some thought as well.

kingdom-tele

limited spots?

last I looked there are thousands of acres available for discovery. your stoked on hiking to ski. but pretending your providing a service for everyone is a pretty lofty perspective.

personally, who gives a shit. I think its great and all, but who cares how crowded it is, for the past decade I could count on 2 ski poles how often I thought it was crowded in a spot, and going just a little further out remedied that. people have been touring since skiing began, in fact, I'm almost positive thats how skiing began. getting bent there are people hiking for turns in the same area you happen to choose is an implication you have a bigger problem.

I have always appreciated the cordial nature of meeting people in the middle of nowhere, I give it right back. maybe someone should blog about that part vs the specifics of how and where and when and who and how much and what gear.

Website
kingdom- Public service: NOT with the traffic we get... Who am I fooling? :)

I was referring more generally to the internal debate in the backcountry community as to whether to publish the location of backcountry spots or to keep them secret.

I disagree that the folks who search out spots where they won't find the Tuckerman Circus have some sort of problem. I can understand their desire to feel like they are exploring something new- even if they aren't the first skis to carve a secluded hillside. Some might argue that if everyone freely blogs/writes/publishes their adventures every spot in New England will have been documented and thus anyone seeking out adventure will have a harder and harder time finding it.

While I understand this point of view, I'm not in their camp. I think, like you suggested, that the opportunities for adventure are virtually limitless. I suppose to support this, you could point to the fact that even with the publication of Goodman's book, most of the places he referenced are still quiet on powder days.

I also share you opinion that these adventures are more fun when shared with friends- old or newly made on the trail.

Last edited:

kingdom-tele

whatever floats your boat man.

nothing wrong with being stoked on the experience and sharing it. having to detail every nuance so people can follow bread crumbs seems like a paradox to me.

goodman's book is great, but I think even he would gladly admit its kind of like the kiddie pool, there is a whole giant pool awaiting people once they get their own shit together to go explore it. the traffic you get is merely a sign of the times, people taking advantage of the technology to get them to the glory holes quicker. its sad in a way, there is a pleasure that comes with botching tours, learning the land, recognizing the fun becomes less and less about photogenic turn pictures but the time just being out, solo, with the dog, kid, or friends. those are the qualities that keep people coming back IMO - not repeating someone else's tour step by step

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sometimes less is more. Hopefully not all of your backcountry trips will end up on the map, right?
Agreed but every spot on the map also has an associated report on NEBC's site... he's already pretty much posted point but point instructions for all of his tours. Why not GPS coordinates too, right?

Personally, I prefer FIS's approach. Show the pics (with tastefully chosen non-give-a-way angles), stoke the flames, write a leading comment or two that those who have skied it will recognize, and leave something to the imagination.

--

Saying posting the info is good for spreading people away from Goodman's detailed routes is kinda interesting commentary because I am pretty sure Goodman purposefully focused on the most well known routes and in the most recent addition didn't add too much (at least that wasn't already widely being discussed already).

I would look at it like this: are you leading people away from Goodman's known routes or are you giving away and cheapening the novel experience of discovery that you enjoyed? You really worked hard for some of those tours... you used your imagination, studied some maps, made multiple attempts, etc. Is your guiding stealing that experience away and making people not use their imagination? Honest question, there.

And as for leading people away from the Goodman routes... if people are that interested and of that mind and spirit, they probably are already on the hunt like yourself...

Website
I still don't understand the reasons for the aura of secrecy that pervades the backcountry ski community. Alpinists and rock climbers follow much more detailed maps and routes with the full knowledge that others have tread the exact same steps or anchors and hardly complain about the sense of adventure being robbed from their respective sports.

When you figure that snow conditions vary from year to year, and that most areas have an infinite number of approaches (given that an established path isn't needed in most cases)- the tendency toward secrecy just doesn't make sense.

Angus

I just checked out your map and didn't see a single spot with exception of the two spots in NEK that I wasn't familiar with and I'm a backcountry wannabee. I find all this secrecy to be silly. Protect your routes in the slackcountry so they don't get skied off, but let's be honest, people are too lazy, too out-of-shape, don't have the proper equipment and/or just plain not interested to go to the majority of places referenced here. Tuckermans is not the backcountry - it's a destination. That's why you can have thousands in Tuckermans and just a few in the gulf of slides. I hope we have a good snow year in the backcountry!

bigbog

Hey NEBC, I enjoy your website immensely!
I've been intimately acquainted with, since my days in diapers, wild places up in north-central Maine for ~50+/- years or so...just not with so many obvious skiing choices as in NH, VT, NY, and the West...
It's a tough call these days. It used to be that one kept quiet about the places that were off the map so-to-speak, but with development being the primary threat to many wild places on this planet, we can't keep them just "secrets". Out of sight becomes Out of Mind (ie Unknown) and thus easy pickings for deep pockets and development, and development is often forever. Big money's values and pleasures in life are decidedly different.