• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Tuning Question

thetrailboss

Staff member
I read in SKIING that new skis should be waxed with SBC wax to protect the bases before applying normal wax later in the season. When I went to a local store, they told me that normal wax would be sufficient and that SBC was no better and more expensive. Is there any benefit of SBC or is it a rip off? :-?

Talisman

I have never used SBC wax and since I don't have new skis don't plan on using any SBC. In my opinion most/many skiers don't wax their skis and boards enough and waxing is good. The 'wrong' wax can always be removed.

I would use a good all temeparture wax and forget about SBC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Talisman said:
I would use a good all temeparture wax and forget about SBC.

That is along the lines of what the shop told me. I have some SWIX all temp wax and was going to use some of that.

Thanks! :wink:

powers

If you want to do them up right, this is what you do:
Hot wax with a warm temp wax like Swix HC10 or compairable 32deg.+ (air temp). When you run the iron over the base it should stay liquid for no more than 3-5 seconds. Over ironing can cause the base to delaminate from the ski so don't think that if a little is good, more must be better. Let the ski cool to room temp. Don't scrape but re-iron the existing wax. If the base is "dry" from the factory, the wax will be absorbed and you will have to add more wax. Repeat this 3-5 times depeanding on how much wax is getting sucked into the base. If you're cleaver and you have a bunch of skis to do you could make a hot box out of foil backed insulation board and a 100W light bulb and a small fan and really get some wax in there but the old fashioned way is fine. After allowing the wax to cool completely, scrape and brush with a nylon brush. Re-wax with approperate temp wax, let cool, scrape and brush. This time of year wax with a colder/harder wax to prevent base burn and over coat with a rub-on flourocarbon wax like F4. Man made snow is very abrasive and high in moisture.
You can get real anal about waxing but just keep it simple and do it often. With beer. And chips and salsa. Perferably homemade or from a tub, not a jar. Check out somr of the wax manu. web sites or better yet the scruffiest guy in your local shop. Good luck!

sledhaulingmedic

Excelent points. Especially about the Salsa. I prefer mine with Roasted Green Chiles from Hatch, NM. I guess I can get anal about Salsa. Blue Corn Chips are a nice addition.

I had to get new vises for my new skis. I'm going to be busy when they show up! (Note to self: More beer and chips before UPS gets here)

tree_skier

I also upgraded to a new vice as my old one didn't have enough room for the binding and lifter plates and have been trying to get by. I also added a p-tex repair pistol (from reliable racing supplies) to upgrade my abilitiy to make base repairs and a new selection of files and scrappers. As soon as the vice gets here I will crack a long trail and put it to use.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Talisman

How do you keep the wax flakes out of the salsa and chips while tuning skis? I understand the benefits of keeping hydrated during ski tuning, but the dexterity demanded by keeping food on the tuning bench may be too much for me.

sledhaulingmedic

Start slow and keep the beverage and food products uphill and upwind. As you increase your control, you can bring them closer at hand.

The wax shaavings aren't too bad, but I have enough iron in my diet with out the edge filings....

Hey AZ! I just looked at the "Ads by Google" that came up below the "Quick reply" Box:

"Brazilian Waxing"

"Hertel Ski and Board wax"

"Papa Woody Wax"

"Personal Pubic Shaver"

I'm going to have to pay more attention to those ads. Very informative!

thetrailboss

Staff member
sledhaulingmedic said:
"Brazilian Waxing"

"Hertel Ski and Board wax"

"Papa Woody Wax"

"Personal Public Shaver"

I'm going to have to pay more attention to those ads. Very informative!

Do you mean "Personal Pub!c Shaver?" :wink:

ctenidae

Is it worth it for someone who probably wouldn't really notice the difference to get into waxing (whether in a shop or home-made)? Meaning, would I notice the difference if I did it?
Waxing skis, that is. None of that Brazilian stuff. No shaving, whether public or pub1c.

Talisman

As I stated above waxing is good! Waxed skis are far easier to turn and the bases seem to hold up longer. Ski tuning seems technical and probably scary to those who are unfamiliar with some of the finer points, but waxing is really pretty simple and unless you use a 'too hot' iron it is hard to mess up anything permamnently. Wax wears off pretty quickly so waxing every 2 to 3 days is important.

A holder for your skis and ski brakes, a good all temperature wax, a yard sale iron set on 'wool' and a scraper are the tools you'll need to get started. A brush to add structure is another step in the process after scarping off the excess wax.

sledhaulingmedic

ctenidae said:
Is it worth it for someone who probably wouldn't really notice the difference to get into waxing (whether in a shop or home-made)? Meaning, would I notice the difference if I did it?
Waxing skis, that is. None of that Brazilian stuff. No shaving, whether public or pub1c.

Yes. It's worth it. First, it helps protect the bases and two, it lets you ski better with less effort. I've been a little lax the last couple seasons, but will be back with a vengence this season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
CRISIS!!!! :(

Despite our efforts, I opened up our skis this week and found that some moisture must have gotten in my GF's ski bag and caused some RUSTING of her new edges :angry:

Anybody got some suggestions? I've been working it over with steel wool, which worked on my skis last year. I feel so bummed that this happened.

First Tracks

Website
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
thetrailboss said:

Despite our efforts, I opened up our skis this week and found that some moisture must have gotten in my GF's ski bag and caused some RUSTING of her new edges :angry:

Anybody got some suggestions? I've been working it over with steel wool, which worked on my skis last year. I feel so bummed that this happened.

No biggie. Get out a Scotch-brite pad to take the worst of it off, then do a route edge filing. Hey, it happens.

sledhaulingmedic

As FT points out, not a big deal.

Next spring, as you're goingthrough withdrawl, get some chips, salsa, beverage of choice and set the tuning table up a sunny part of the yard. Repair the damage, sharpen the edges, clean the bases meticulously and put down a thick coat of wax and leave it unscraped for the summer. Repeat untill all skis are covered and beverages are consummed (or comatose, whichever comes first).

With any luck, you won't wake up until snowmaking starts and you can scrape the wax down and be ready to go.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Actually, I did that with the wax and the bases are ready to be scraped and brushed down. :wink: That will be the turkey day festivities for me since the conditions are not looking so hot for skiing.

As said, I am not thinking that it will be a big deal for the rust...what little there is. Moisture can be unavoidable sometimes.

Thanx for the advice! :beer:

sledhaulingmedic

Come to think of it, I should pour a beverage and get to work.

Wednesday looks crappy, but if I don't ski then, it will be a long haul until next week.

thetrailboss said:

Ummm A tune up is in order.
Rust never sleeps.
Take them to a shop and have the base groind and start off the season with sharp edeges and a frwsh coat of wax.
bacl to the first post.....
As for a base coat/underlay on your skis, is it necessary?
If your are raceing/training yes. for all other skiers not realy.
But i have a Race Tech. background so I choose to lay on my wax in that mannor for my own skis.
Powers hit the nail right on the head. with this one exception. I would forgo the Fluro rute.
Why?
High/low fluro waxes tend to clog the "Rill" of the ski.
and if you do not plan exfoliateing the old wax out of the base after every day of skiing, leave it out of the picture untill race day.
And by all means do wax every time you plan on hitting the slopes.
And remember "Thick to Stick-Thin to Win"
Jmo
Paul.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thank you all for your advice. I spent much of Saturday afternoon with the appropriate beverages and snacks massaging the new skis 8)

I did take your advice regarding waxing new skis and I applied a softer wax to them (as was discussed here). They came out really nice.

As for the little bit of rust, the shop evaluated them and said that there was no damage and that I could simply scrap it off (as discussed in here) or have her ski it off. They did a good job resetting my bindings.

If in the NEK, be sure to visit them--East Burke Sports in East Burke. They are the headquarters for the now famous Kingdom Trails :wink: Check them out (and also at the foot of Burke Mountain).

Regrettably, I am still dreaming of snow since we are in a warm spell :cry: