• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

100 years of skiing!

eatskisleep

2Planker

Pretty cool!
I remember meeting him in Dec 82 at the opening of the NE Ski Museum in Franconia.
I thought he was OLD then.... Now I'm older than he was then YIKES

Granite1

This year is my 50th year....only 50 more to make 100. I sent the link to my cousin and he replied:

That’s absolutely nuts. Incredible he is still alive at 103 and still skiing. Has to be the first person in history to ski for 100 years
Dave McCoy, who founded Mammoth, lived to be 104. Died 2 years ago. I skied with him when he was about 80.
Otto Lang, the Austrian skier and filmmaker, lived to be 98. I skied with him at Crystal Mountain when he was 90. Judy Nagel, the former Olympic skier, also skied with us
Fred Distelhorst the dentist in Vail is still skiing in his early 90s. He climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro at age 88.

There was a local guy in his 90's here in NH that raced in the Annual Hannes Schneider Meister Cup at Cranmore a couple of years ago!!!

2Planker

This year is my 50th year....only 50 more to make 100. I sent the link to my cousin and he replied:

That’s absolutely nuts. Incredible he is still alive at 103 and still skiing. Has to be the first person in history to ski for 100 years
Dave McCoy, who founded Mammoth, lived to be 104. Died 2 years ago. I skied with him when he was about 80.
Otto Lang, the Austrian skier and filmmaker, lived to be 98. I skied with him at Crystal Mountain when he was 90. Judy Nagel, the former Olympic skier, also skied with us
Fred Distelhorst the dentist in Vail is still skiing in his early 90s. He climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro at age 88.

There was a local guy in his 90's here in NH that raced in the Annual Hannes Schneider Meister Cup at Cranmore a couple of years ago!!!

That would have been John McDonald. Great guy ! Hung w Hans Schneider & Co. all thru the 60's, 70's & 80's
10th Mt Division veteran. NH legend for sure.
Definitely the best 90yo I've ever skied with.
He passed just about 1 year ago...

djd66

Very cool story, thank you for sharing! Definitely motivates me to take better care of myself now so I can be skiing when I’m 90.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How many people even have family members that have lived to 100? Oldest I'm aware of in my family is my Great Grandfather who died at 98, 2 months prior to 99.

If I can stay skiing until 82, I'd be pleased. That would mean 75 years.
I started my son at 21 months, which was too young in hindsight. He really didn't start skiing independently until he was almost 4. My daughter at 3, which was better, but she still struggled and only got independent turns going at the end of last season. Hoping for a big year for her this year.

With the healthcare advances they'll see in their lifetimes, maybe they can hit 100 years on snow.

cdskier

How many people even have family members that have lived to 100? Oldest I'm aware of in my family is my Great Grandfather who died at 98, 2 months prior to 99.
102 in my family (my dad's aunt). That's only one out of all my relatives though...

djd66

My Dad just passed at 92,… we was working out and playing tennis every day - right up until the end. Definitely my hero. I skied with him when he was 85, he could have skied more but he was not a fan of the cold.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My Dad just passed at 92,… we was working out and playing tennis every day - right up until the end. Definitely my hero. I skied with him when he was 85, he could have skied more but he was not a fan of the cold.

So sorry to hear about your dad. That's awesome he was able to stay active until the very end and also ski until he was 85.

My dad is 76 and had to finally give up his main love of golf at 75 due to osteoarthritis resulting in six back fusions over the past 10 years. I hope it's not hereditary and I suffer the same problems in my senior years. He had given up skiing at 62. He retired to Florida in his Kate 50s for golf and just didn't enjoy the travel to ski. Happy and healthy man otherwise.

God willing I'll be lucky enough to have him still around until 92. Same for my mom, but that's unlikely due to early stage dementia. Hopefully therapy can slow the progress for us. Would be wonderful to have them both around for 16 more years.