• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 5 most dangerous ski resorts in the world

catskillman

Check out #5 !!

As we have been saying..........

gittist

I buy it.

Pretty much every Poconos resort is above average in danger as well.
Is it the terrain or the people skiing :rolleyes: there that makes them above average in danger :unsure:?? I vote for people and crowds, like when Jack Frost has a line out to the traffic light.

jimk

Is it the terrain or the people skiing :rolleyes: there that makes them above average in danger :unsure:?? I vote for people and crowds, like when Jack Frost has a line out to the traffic light.
Yeah, they are joking. Hunter&Poconos are dangerous because of out of control weekend skiers.

While looking at snowbrains dangerous article I also saw one on 5 steepest chairlifts in USA: https://snowbrains.com/the-5-steepest-chairlifts-in-the-united-states/
Both articles are good reads. I noticed in comments for 5 steepest that someone commented on the length vs vertical of the lift at little Snow King ski area in WY. It has a ratio that should make it one of the steepest terrain pods around. I've never skied Snow King even though I stayed slopeside there once, but had only two days in Jackson that time and spent both at Jackson Hole.

catskillman

People and the amount of people for sure. Add in the horrible grooming and ice and lack of open terrain and you get top 5 of the most dangerous resorts in the world.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Check out #5 !!

Wow, I was not expecting that! 😂😂😂😂

All the others are dangerous ski terrain. Number five is drunk skiers! 😂😂😂

2Planker

Check out #5 !!

Skied 4 out of 5 of them

Aguille de Midi is a YES, Grand Montet and Courmayeur are great places to go when in Chamonix

Hunter is a F'ing joke and doesn't belong on any top 5 anything lists ever.....

skiur

Skied 4 out of 5 of them

Aguille de Midi is a YES, Grand Montet and Courmayeur are great places to go when in Chamonix

Hunter is a F'ing joke and doesn't belong on any top 5 anything lists ever.....

Used to be a top 5 for snowmaking but not anymore.

raisingarizona

Article title was most dangerous, not most dangerous terrain. Just saying.

Hunter, Mountain Creek, Bear Mountain Ca. and so many more probably fit that bill more than Chamonix. You can go to Cham and not ski the "extreme" but you can't ski those urban day destinations on a busy weekend without fearing for your life. Just saying.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, they are joking. Hunter&Poconos are dangerous because of out of control weekend skiers.

I actually wasn't joking. I've seen things in the Poconos you couldn't even imagine. I wouldn't even consider having my daughter learn to ski there, or anyone else until they've attained a mass which can withstand the laws of physics.

2planks2coasts

While looking at snowbrains dangerous article I also saw one on 5 steepest chairlifts in USA: https://snowbrains.com/the-5-steepest-chairlifts-in-the-united-states/
Both articles are good reads. I noticed in comments for 5 steepest that someone commented on the length vs vertical of the lift at little Snow King ski area in WY. It has a ratio that should make it one of the steepest terrain pods around. I've never skied Snow King even though I stayed slopeside there once, but had only two days in Jackson that time and spent both at Jackson Hole.

Yep. Snow King is legit steep. If JHMR wasn't so close, Snow King would be widely known as a mid sized experts playground. Since JHMR IS that close, it's just the town hill, nicely uncrowded and cheap, with night skiing too.

Abominable

Wasn't a gun pulled on someone at Hunter, while skiing? Or was that just an urban legend? I feel like about 20 years ago there was a persistent rumor of some gunplay, maybe even on the ski hill, but more likely in the parking lot.

JoeB-Z

Worst I got taken out was Vernon Valley (aka Mountain Creek) on a Friday night. Literally sent air bourn.
I was very briefly an instructor at Vernon Valley. Keep in mind the summer business was the (Tr)Action Park. They didn't make "snow", they just iced it down for durability. Then they had these bus deals. The newbies were drunk before they were fitted for boots. Turning over 30 years forward I skied a a few days in the Poconos because my mom was in a nursing home in Bethlehem. It was weird. Even Blue Mountain was packed with bad skiers on bad equipment. But it was more the disregard for safety (or total lack of understanding thereof) that was a concern.

4aprice

I actually wasn't joking. I've seen things in the Poconos you couldn't even imagine. I wouldn't even consider having my daughter learn to ski there, or anyone else until they've attained a mass which can withstand the laws of physics.

I was very briefly an instructor at Vernon Valley. Keep in mind the summer business was the (Tr)Action Park. They didn't make "snow", they just iced it down for durability. Then they had these bus deals. The newbies were drunk before they were fitted for boots. Turning over 30 years forward I skied a a few days in the Poconos because my mom was in a nursing home in Bethlehem. It was weird. Even Blue Mountain was packed with bad skiers on bad equipment. But it was more the disregard for safety (or total lack of understanding thereof) that was a concern.
Lol. Not retired yet so I still put my life on the line in the Pocono's from time to time. I actually get about 30 to 35 days (2 to 3 hr sessions) at Camelback, mostly weekday mornings (no danger then) but every once in a while on the weekend. The trick of course is to get there early (my pass includes 1 hour 1st tracks at 7:30 am) ski hard till about 11 (only then do the mobs really materialize) then head home or hit the bar. Not too glamorous but beats staying at home and I get ski training and exercise.

Got this upcoming season and the following one before I start spending my entire seasons out in Colorado.