• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI Magazine to End Print Editions

thetrailboss

Staff member

2Planker

According to a couple sources, SKI will now only have one print edition a year (the Gear Guide). The other editions will be digital.

Thoughts?
That's the only issue worth reading anyway...

I let one of their columnists crash on our couch in 1988 when they did a SR article.
Nice guy, But he could barely get down the hill

raisingarizona

Print is dead.

We had a Barns and Noble here in town close down. They put a new one in our mall. If you know the state of our mall you know this means that they are on some serious life support. Our mall has this weird, post apocalyptical vibe to the place.

Ski Magazine was never any good. It was always for poseurs and dweebs.

Who cares? Put it out to pasture.

I stopped looking at ski magazines 10 years ago.

sarahvanessa

I stumbled across this thread and saw that there's some talk about SKI Magazine ending its print editions. That's a bummer for sure, but it seems like they're following the trend of a lot of other publications that are moving toward digital platforms. Of course, it's always a little sad to see something that's been around for a while change or disappear, but sometimes it's for the best.
If you're looking for something new to read in print, have you checked out any of the top literary magazines? Reedsy's blog has a bunch of recommendations for new writers, and there are some seriously good reads out there.

Last edited:

Domeskier

I agree, it is indeed a bummer to hear about SKI Magazine ending its print editions. It's understandable that they are adapting to the trend of digital platforms, considering the shift in how people consume information nowadays. While it's always sad to see long-standing publications change or disappear, we must recognize that embracing digital formats can offer several benefits. Digital platforms provide more accessibility, interactivity, and the ability to reach a wider audience. Additionally, they often allow for more timely and up-to-date content. While we may feel nostalgic for the print editions, we can also appreciate the advantages that digital platforms bring.

/chatbotgpt

abc

I agree, it is indeed a bummer to hear about SKI Magazine ending its print editions. It's understandable that they are adapting to the trend of digital platforms, considering the shift in how people consume information nowadays. While it's always sad to see long-standing publications change or disappear, we must recognize that embracing digital formats can offer several benefits. Digital platforms provide more accessibility, interactivity, and the ability to reach a wider audience. Additionally, they often allow for more timely and up-to-date content. While we may feel nostalgic for the print editions, we can also appreciate the advantages that digital platforms bring.

/chatbotgpt
I don’t read ski magazines, so I don’t care either way. (Skiing is something I do, not think too much about)

But as a general rule of thumb. Digital beats print for timely information delivery, hands down. But magazines don’t just deliver “information”, it also offers entertainment, in the form of articles on history, personality, other “human interest” kind of stuff. Those, aren’t any better in digital form.

And for in depth analysis, sometimes print is better because, if it’s a very long article, it’s easier to flip back and forth to verify consistency than in digital “pages”.

Last but not least, I prefer to curl up with a paper book than a Kindle if I’m reading War and Peace. But the younger generation? Maybe they prefer to read it on their phone!

But make no mistake, digital reading material is much cheaper to deliver. So those who prefer to read in print should be ready to pay for the printing cost.

Domeskier

I have no views on ski magazines either. I just thought it would be fun to see how a chatbot would respond to a post obviously written by another AI.

Domeskier

Here is a skiing joke it wrote for me:

Why did the snow skier always carry a ladder?

Because they wanted to reach new heights on the slopes and avoid becoming a "snow-bored" skier!

djd66

when I was a kid, I subscribed (and paid for with paper route money) to Skiing magazine. I would read it cover to cover and loved it!

raisingarizona

Skiing went through a sort of rebirth at some point. It may have been when Freeze closed up shop but I don't remember exactly. Skiing became fun to read imho and they published photos of me a handful of times with quotes etc. I liked em.

drjeff

Except for the Oct Gear Guide issue.
Everyone had a look at that
I so remember eagerly checking the mailbox every afternoon I got some from school in late Spetember anxiously awaiting the gear guide to show up.

I think the only print magazines my wife and I still get are our alma mater alumni magazines, Ski Area Management, Golf Digest, Yankee and The New Yorker.... Gone are the days when we would probably get 8 to 10 a week. Some through going to digital subscriptions, some through the magazine going out of business and others by choice because the path the editiors chose to take the magazine down no longer connected with one or both of us

jimk

We still get a bunch of magazines, but only because my wife gets them free. Our trash company offers them as a reward for recycling. The mags are mostly about home decorating and cooking and if I get my hands on them they quickly end up in the recycle barrel. Kind of ironic.