• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Closings

jrmagic

When its all over its going to be very interesting to reflect back on this past season. I believe the weather was as poor as I have ever seen it and yet it looks like we just might make it to Easter. I guess anythings possible but I have a hard time believing we will have another season as rough as this one was next year or anytime soon. Its really remarkable to think how much skiing has been available despite the weather.

I agre but lets not tempt Ma nature by talking about it:flame:

puckoach

Blue Hills was kind of a crap show all season according to people who ski there regularly. Too bad, the same management team had really improved things the last couple of years.

The new group made a great effort this year. But, the weather in that local was beyond difficult this year. Warmest year in recorded weather history.

Added to their problem, is that as much as they tried, they were cut off from a water supply prior to Feb School Vacation. Heard from staff that the Town cut them off at $420,000. of water. :fangun: They paid for it, just wouldn't let them have anymore.

Next couple of days will further damage today's light season, but I made reservations yesterday for 3/20-23. Some skiing is better than none !!!

PomfretPlunge

The mogul line at Roundtop was absolutely glorious on Sunday

Liberty & Whitetail RIP til next year

Mt. Ellen here we come for March, K/SB/Jay for April

legalskier

Look at it a different way- closings in the south could mean those skiers/riders migrate to the northern areas.

NJ-
Hidden Valley: closed
Campgaw: closed
MC: hanging in there

NJ/NY border-
Tuxedo Ridge: weekends
Mt Peter: open

4aprice

Look at it a different way- closings in the south could mean those skiers/riders migrate to the northern areas.

NJ-

NJ/NY border-

Camelback was great this morning and still 100% open. Made snow as recently as Monday night and still going to try and make it to the 31st.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

LonghornSkier

The new group made a great effort this year. But, the weather in that local was beyond difficult this year. Warmest year in recorded weather history.

Added to their problem, is that as much as they tried, they were cut off from a water supply prior to Feb School Vacation. Heard from staff that the Town cut them off at $420,000. of water. :fangun: They paid for it, just wouldn't let them have anymore.

Next couple of days will further damage today's light season, but I made reservations yesterday for 3/20-23. Some skiing is better than none !!!

1) It wasn't the warmest winter in recorded history, it was 2nd or 3rd, but not the warmest. I don't want to seem like an a-hole-know-it-all but I was wanted to get that out there.
2) Also, there were many nights in January plenty cold enough to make snow that they did not take advantage of. I can give you the dates if you would like.
3) They treat their most loyal customers(race teams) like crap by screwing them over logistically. In addition, the lift attendants are absolute jerks to their customers, pulling stunts like slamming the bar down on you as you leave the loading station (it may work when your 10 years old but not when your 6' 5"), and letting racers go back to the top after their runs (Yea Blue Hills, I ski around in a GS Suit for fun).

ScottySkis

I'm not paying attention to long term forecast, when it snows i go, when snow is soft, i gowhen it hill of ice , I stay home or go to Slc.

kingslug

When the slopes close here..you can always head.....................................................................west

Cornhead

Or not and just hike.
Skied my first earned turns on Memorial Day Weekend last year, Mt Washington. Snowfields via the Auto Road, OK the first run wasn't earned, but all subsequent ones were, and Tuckerman's, hiked from Pinkham Notch. Haven't been that exhausted in a long time. I doubt I'll be skiing this Memorial Day Weekend, unless it's behind a boat.

WoodCore

Thunder Ridge in Patterson, NY just pulled the plug............closed for the season!

Sotto

You guys are fast, the past few days of warm weather melted a lot more snoww then we have predicted. It would have been nice to get one more weekend, but it just isn't in the cards. Here's to a few more weeks of spring skiing further north.

bvibert

Staff member
You guys are fast, the past few days of warm weather melted a lot more snoww then we have predicted. It would have been nice to get one more weekend, but it just isn't in the cards. Here's to a few more weeks of spring skiing further north.

It was one of the most depressing FB status updates I've read in a while...

ERJ-145CA

NJ-

NJ/NY border-

I skied HV last Saturday (closing day was Sunday 3/4), they only managed to get two trails from the top open all season, plus the beginner trail on the side. They had to keep resurfacing the two runs, when they had snowmaking temps, so the racing had a decent surface as their snowmaking system needs a lot of repairs. This last summer they installed some new pipe but it still needs a lot of work.

I skied MC on Thursday at Vernon peak and it was a bare spot slalom. Vernon didn't make it through the rain on Thursday night so the had only South open this weekend, plus the beginner area at Vernon peak. Sunday is their last day except they say they'll keep a hike park open as long as they can.

I Skied Mt. Peter today and coverage was really good still. Only one trail was closed and all the open ones had a good base with no bare spots. Apparently they invested a lot of money in their snowmaking system over the last off season and it shows. In early January when they finally had a few days of round the clock snowmaking temps they blew a ton of snow, drained their snowmaking pond twice reportedly. They have their annual Spring Rally next Saturday and I think they'll make it. I'm guessing they'll be closed weekdays this week and reopen Saturday, though I don't know for sure.

I plan on hitting Belleayre this coming week and after that who knows. Once the Cats or done my season is most likely done too. Well I'll also see what's going on in the Poconos.

Last edited: