• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

Vortex

No snowmaking changes to speak of on anything east or west of Spruce this year, but they can run a ton on Barker, Locke and WC from the past few year's work regardless. Aurora, Oz and Jordan will follow suit and be night and day next year.

One after cooler was repaired which will bring air temps down a touch but not something really noticeable by the end user.
Spruce with the New guns look amazing. That can't be far from coming into the mix.
Usually, Amex Grand rapids, lower Downdraft and Tourist trap are the next step after Barker.
Barker, Locke and Spruce at the same time are all getting hammered. My guess is Cascades is Sunday. We get Barker Lift tomorrow, with XTC and Right stuff. We can count Jim's whim and Jungle Road, but just traverses. Edit, not sure if we are just getting blow over on lower downdraft.

Newpylong

They basically went from having the 3 small uplines on Spruce to replacing the Downdraft line and making it a larger (upline) feeding the others as downlines. They can put a ton of water up there now.

When you take a wholistic look at water, air, mileage and efficiency in Northeastern US snowmaking systems, they're right there at the top of the pack now.

machski

I would think running the usual runs on Locke/Barker and being able to add in Spruce is thanks to that new feed up Spruce to the Boost station at top of Chondi. That amount of water at one time may be new, but the Locke/Barker compliment at once has been that way for several seasons now. Granted with the older infrastructure up from the river, that occasionally causes them to fall short early season. Now, with the solid feed up from the river plus the ever growing ability to disperse more water at once across the hill, we reap the rewards. And the air system was built for the old SR7 airhogs, so more than robust for many more impulse stocks at once. And then the fans not even needing hill air. It's really how much water can they pump at once now.

Newpylong

Shouldn't have made a difference, each of the 3 had their own separate feeds direct from the Snowflake factory previously. But if they're running MORE on Spruce than they were previously then I would say yes, that is due to the feedline diameter increase.

thebigo

Been wondering for some time how they were going to squeeze merril in there. The front side / back side thing is silly but not an easy place to show on a map.

Other topic: appears barker is broken again, skied SR 8 days this year, not sure any of them saw a full day of service on barker.

For a place that does so much right, it is right time for an official announcement on replacement.

machski

Been wondering for some time how they were going to squeeze merril in there. The front side / back side thing is silly but not an easy place to show on a map.

Other topic: appears barker is broken again, skied SR 8 days this year, not sure any of them saw a full day of service on barker.

For a place that does so much right, it is right time for an official announcement on replacement.
I would agree. If they were delaying an announcement to give Loon some space to announce the next Phase of South first, that is accomplished.

BodeMiller1

It would be nice if everyone could give the snow makers a rest this year. A nice snowy winter would do a lot to boost crowds and drop costs.

More snow less Vail pricing.

Anyone know in an average winter what costs more? Fuel for grooming or snowmaking.

Newpylong

Anyone else notice on the new map that none of the MH trails are not gagged with the snowmaking *. They all have it, including Second Thoughts. Odd.
From what I was told, the only possible trail that may have operable snowmaking currently is "Trail 1", I guess that would be Double Refraction? The other ones definitely aren't done.

Regardless, I probably woulda put the symbol on them all so as to not have to redo the map again in the near future. Of course no one else probably pays as close attention as us nerds.

kbroderick

From what I was told, the only possible trail that may have operable snowmaking currently is "Trail 1", I guess that would be Double Refraction? The other ones definitely aren't done.

Regardless, I probably woulda put the symbol on them all so as to not have to redo the map again in the near future. Of course no one else probably pays as close attention as us nerds.

I'd be willing to wager that editing the labels is fairly easy, so it only becomes an issue of needing to reprint, which is hopefully necessary anyhow for a new lift on Barker.

powderseeker

I heard from an electrician I tried to hire in the area (who couldn't do the work for us because he is working on lift projects at Sunday River) that Barker will be getting the same lift as Jordan. He thought that it would be precisely the same type of lift (an 8-seater), but it's possible they would get a 6-seater D-line which would have similar electronics. I certainly want heated seats and bubbles!

I hope we get an announcement soon. Maybe they are waiting for the Jordan 8 to get up and running and work out any opening issues, so the news is all positive from the announcement onwards.

Newpylong

From a downhill capacity issue, I think either would be appropriate. What say the SR regulars?

Probably gonna need to make snow on Agony more either way IMHO. Outta be wider by then...

thebigo

Those that are more regular than me can confirm but it appears they did some recent cutting on the lift riders right of agony, small trees not just brush. Personally I think a six is a better fit.

Edit - given 7 bros is still not ready, would think they need to get an early start in the spring. Guess they could do April on locke? Some combination of north and spruce?

Vortex

I think if I recall we got the Jordan chair first because that style was available, and it fit in Jordan better. I thought the Barker chair option would be another year, due to what they had to offer. If we get the same thing at Barker things might have changed, Machski an probably clarify and say it better. Barker has the longest lines. My guess is Barker, can handle more Skiers, but only when most of the trails and woods are open. I avoid barker Whenever possible.

kbroderick

I think if I recall we got the Jordan chair first because that style was available, and it fit in Jordan better. I thought the Barker chair option would be another year, due to what they had to offer. If we get the same thing at Barker things might have changed, Machski an probably clarify and say it better. Barker has the longest lines. My guess is Barker, can handle more Skiers, but only when most of the trails and woods are open. I avoid barker Whenever possible.
I've rarely, if ever, seen trails truly packed on Barker once all the major trails are open (ie not necessarily including natural snow, trees, and such); unless there's some really good traffic direction at the bottom, I think between the reduced carrier count for a six or eight-pack and chairs not getting full because people ran out of fingers to count on, we'd be okay.

The plan to do Jordan first had a lot to do with how many days that lift missed due to wind and the impact that had on guest experience, especially those staying at the Jordan Grand; there was also a plan to refurbish the Jordan quad (which, despite it's age, had relatively low operational hours) and install it at Barker. That's now out the window and the refurbished lift is slated to go to another Boyne property.

WoodCore

Assuming the Jordan8 is done or close too, will SR push towards Jordan at the expense of other terrain to showcase the shiny new toy or stick to the standard plan?

Vortex

They made snow there last week when it was Warm elsewhere to get a good start, nothing was on the snow report, but I talked with a few snowmakers and they were going at it strong. Last year they made snow on just parts of Northern lights and tied in cyclone early to State Fair. I think the focus has always been to get Jordan open as early as possible, but Aurora seems to be getting tied in after Jordan instead of before.