• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

Newpylong

I was told they've been working on Aurora and Jordan up high this week as the temps have been higher.

The pipe on Kansas/NL is still being tied in. It had to be moved when they blasted and widened the trail. It will have to be replaced next year because it's a real mess from being moved around. It will get them through this year though.

drjeff

I was told they've been working on Aurora and Jordan up high this week as the temps have been higher.

The pipe on Kansas/NL is still being tied in. It had to be moved when they blasted and widened the trail. It will have to be replaced next year because it's a real mess from being moved around. It will get them through this year though.
I'm guessing that Brendan Ryan already has a plan (or 5) for this Summer and that stretch of pipe! ;):):ROFLMAO:

doublediamond

Back in the summer, Fall Line Construction had video of new pipe being dragged. Any clue which trails?

machski

They have definitely trimmed back Agony skier's left on a lot of the trail. It has needed it for several years as tree growth has given snowmaking fits on that side. This is more than that though, given the trim goes all the way to the snowmaking lines on most of it. Definitely not complete for a lift install, the part needing the most is the upper part after TG splits off and they have yet to touch that.

As to a D line 6 or 8, the original plan most of us had heard was D6 at both locations. The big rumor was a planned tag team install of both the same summer. They obviously passed on that, likely given the amount of earth work the plan shifted to with Jordan. They could go 8 at Barker, but I'm not sure I want to see the top of Agony opened up that much from the tree perspective that will be needed. How much narrower they can go on the clearance cut for a 6 I don't know. The terrain can certainly handle added traffic, especially if they make TG and Agony more routinely. I would expect they would add fixed mount guns on Top Gun with a lift install for precisely this. Noticed they changed most of Jungle Road and Sunday Punch to Klik Hydrants. For Punch, likely means we won't see the early season guns pulled out anymore as the Kliks cannot allow for that (though they old hydrants remain on the lines for now) Could be the start to more to more efficient ops on Barker for a bigger chair. The capacity increase would be felt more at Barker too, given the current Quad only spins at 700FPM or so.

bigbob

I thought the original plan or rumor for barker was to refurbish the Jorden Quad and install it for Barker. Now parts of that chair are stored at Pleasant Mnt and no offical word weather barker would be a 6 or 8 but would be a new build according to the rumor mill. Loon has announced South Peak expansion so far and Lone Peak at Big Sky will get a new gondola next summer. I think some foundation work/excavation has already been completed for Big Sky.

Newpylong

Back in the summer, Fall Line Construction had video of new pipe being dragged. Any clue which trails?

New 24" feed from Snowflake factory to the booster station atop North Peak. Downdraft from the new Booster to the top of Spuce was replaced (enlarged) as a new upline. New 20" feed buried under Kanas/NL to the top of Jordan which will feed that side next year.

The one time I rode Barker last year I did notice how encroaching the trees were getting, and the snowmaking lines were pretty deep in the woods on Agony. Judging by the picture in this thread from last week I'd say they still have a lot of work to do cutting back for a new 6 or 8 on there.

Andrew B.

From a downhill capacity issue, I think either would be appropriate. What say the SR regulars?

Probably gonna need to make snow on Agony more either way IMHO. Outta be wider by then...
They did some widening on the skiers left side this year left the debris there which I hope get covered over.

bigbob

New 24" feed from Snowflake factory to the booster station atop North Peak. Downdraft from the new Booster to the top of Spuce was replaced (enlarged) as a new upline. New 20" feed buried under Kanas/NL to the top of Jordan which will feed that side next year.

The one time I rode Barker last year I did notice how encroaching the trees were getting, and the snowmaking lines were pretty deep in the woods on Agony. Judging by the picture in this thread from last week I'd say they still have a lot of work to do cutting back for a new 6 or 8 on there.
How many GPM can a 24" pipe handle?

BodeMiller1

How many GPM can a 24" pipe handle?
It all depends. In snowmaking, :snow::fangun: How much horse power do the pumps have, grade, vertical (there's probably a rise over run equation) leaks, spray pattern, is the wind coming into the gun / fan. Butt lets assume the system is right.

I have no idea. Hopefully enough.... Meow

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Archimedes.jpg
    Archimedes.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2

Vortex

Guns on all over the place to resurface and get Little white cap area going. South ridge had guns on, but marginal temps. MM was online. grooming was well done. I was surprised how well they brought it back. Was not spectacular, but mush better than expected.

machski

I thought the original plan or rumor for barker was to refurbish the Jorden Quad and install it for Barker. Now parts of that chair are stored at Pleasant Mnt and no offical word weather barker would be a 6 or 8 but would be a new build according to the rumor mill. Loon has announced South Peak expansion so far and Lone Peak at Big Sky will get a new gondola next summer. I think some foundation work/excavation has already been completed for Big Sky.
That was the "original" formally published plan, which was a pivot from what many of us had be told was the plan, with Barker the prioritized upgrade. That plan was flipped by one Stephen Kircher, to build as bullet (wind) proof as possible a new Jordan. Given the cost of that lift (D8) and all the grading work done to reshape the summit and liftline, they seemed to pivot off a new Barker to a refurbed lift. I know they took a lot of flak from many of the locals on that call. Then thankfully I believe Dopp deemed Jordan wouldn't be a good candidate for a Barker replacement even fully refurbed. So they pivoted again. Personally, I feel Barker deserves something like Jordan is getting, though a 6 version would be fine.

Oh, did mention I saw a survey crew working snow side and parking lot side of Barker last week? Totally not in the area of the lift base, soooo........

bigbob

That was the "original" formally published plan, which was a pivot from what many of us had be told was the plan, with Barker the prioritized upgrade. That plan was flipped by one Stephen Kircher, to build as bullet (wind) proof as possible a new Jordan. Given the cost of that lift (D8) and all the grading work done to reshape the summit and liftline, they seemed to pivot off a new Barker to a refurbed lift. I know they took a lot of flak from many of the locals on that call. Then thankfully I believe Dopp deemed Jordan wouldn't be a good candidate for a Barker replacement even fully refurbed. So they pivoted again. Personally, I feel Barker deserves something like Jordan is getting, though a 6 version would be fine.

Oh, did mention I saw a survey crew working snow side and parking lot side of Barker last week? Totally not in the area of the lift base, soooo........

And at some point in time a summit resturant will be built at the top of jordan. Much needed at the far end of the resort!

machski

And at some point in time a summit resturant will be built at the top of jordan. Much needed at the far end of the resort!
Yup, but I have heard that is several years off. They have other wants before they get to that and they have to figure out utilities to the summit too. One reason why Jordan base doesn't even have toilets (good thing they did build a hotel out there).

Newpylong

The reason why Kansas was regarded / widened while they were burying the feed line was in preparation for said summit restaurant.

machski

I cannot guarantee this, but IMHO terrain expansion should be back in play Saturday. Hiked over to camp tonight from Brookside, Roadrunner and Starlight were cover fairly well and groomed out. Would expect lower White Cap and White Cap Quad to be in play Saturday on with Jibe/Heats On/Starlight and Road Runner in play, with a tongue to the Summit Hotel. Tempest has a ways to go yet

machski

Quite certain this will be another season with no snowmaking on Agony. Noticed yesterday they removed the air hydrants and plugged the mounts. The fans are nice on Spruce except for the very bottle of Risky. Afraid they will struggle to get wide coverage on the bottom chute by the Triple base without fans below the Lower Lazy River entrance and no skier's right gun line usage. It was sketch on that chute yesterday.