• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

22 - 23 ski season smashes all time visitation numbers

ThatGuy

The only thing that keeps me goin up to K is I can fish on the way so it breaks the drive up. Been quite a few people up there though so I’m more afraid of some yahoo taking me out than how many days I have.

Smellytele

Sitting at 98, ended at 99 last year. Drive to K is getting old, had enough superstar. May mix in an auto road day next weekend to keep it going.
Did tuck’s today. Great day. Did left gully.

Attachments

• 512798BC-AA5A-4A3F-ADF1-B2415C0A79B2.jpeg
    512798BC-AA5A-4A3F-ADF1-B2415C0A79B2.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 75358E1C-E38B-47B9-9F32-9484921816BD.jpeg
    75358E1C-E38B-47B9-9F32-9484921816BD.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 37

Kingslug20

Road paving has started...adds at least 15 more minutes to the drive now...

AdironRider

I really don't understand some posters on the this board continued insistence that the ski industry is dying when literally almost every metric, including their own eyes, says otherwise.

drjeff

I really don't understand some posters on the this board continued insistence that the ski industry is dying when literally almost every metric, including their own eyes, says otherwise.

Because to some, it's different than what they are used to. And different, often by default, must be bad in some peoples eye, not just different, which can also be good in other's perspectives

AdironRider

You apparently have missed the entire Vail Sucks thread, or a myriad of others where many a steadfast in their opinion that the ski industry is being run into the ground.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You apparently have missed the entire Vail Sucks thread, or a myriad of others where many a steadfast in their opinion that the ski industry is being run into the ground.
You're misconstruing what is being said. The experience is what folks are complaining about.

cdskier

You're misconstruing what is being said. The experience is what folks are complaining about.
To be fair, there have been arguments made over the years that "high day ticket prices will drive people out of the sport". So far at least, the active participant numbers (and skier visit numbers) don't validate that fear.

I agree the experience difference is the bigger complaint in the "Vail Sucks" thread at least though.

abc

To be fair, there have been arguments made over the years that "high day ticket prices will drive people out of the sport". So far at least, the active participant numbers (and skier visit numbers) don't validate that fear.
To be fair, the high ticket price is also accompanied by low season pass price too. So for many, it’s not an increase in price, but a change to the way we pay for tickets.

Early on, there were some speculation on whether those high day ticket price will deter new entry into the sport, setting the industry for failure later on. The jury is still out on that.

Then, there‘s the complaint about the skiing experience due to big crowds. The suggestion is those crowds are pass holders, which translate to no additional income to the resort. But that theory is clearly off the mark, as more and more resorts joining the mega-pass and few leaves.

Are independent resorts being left out? I don‘t know. Anybody?

Edd

Not remembering what passes you use. Are you a Vail customer? Where do spend your ski $?

4aprice

Biggest lines I sat in all season were the canyon roads in Utah and Georgetown and Floyd Hills on I-70. The two independent ski areas that I call my home mountains (here in the NE and in Colorado) seem to be doing very well.

machski

To be fair, the high ticket price is also accompanied by low season pass price too. So for many, it’s not an increase in price, but a change to the way we pay for tickets.

Early on, there were some speculation on whether those high day ticket price will deter new entry into the sport, setting the industry for failure later on. The jury is still out on that.

Then, there‘s the complaint about the skiing experience due to big crowds. The suggestion is those crowds are pass holders, which translate to no additional income to the resort. But that theory is clearly off the mark, as more and more resorts joining the mega-pass and few leaves.

Are independent resorts being left out? I don‘t know. Anybody?
The only Big, independent resort out west I can think of is Whitefish and according to them, they are setting record skier visits each season even though they are not affiliated with any mega/combo pass product.

AdironRider

Yeah, with the explicit meaning that ski resorts are paying for it economically.

Vail, a public company, posted similar numbers (6% increase) to the overall industry and you all insinuated they were statistically lying in the Vail Sucks thread also. Mind you Vail saw this across almost all of their business units from ski school to lift ticket revenue.

At some point, you just look like crusty jaded locals who can't admit they are yelling at clouds. The industry just had its best year ever and here you are again claiming that, no actually, the sport is receding based on conjecture for perceived overall participant numbers.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, with the explicit meaning that ski resorts are paying for it economically.

Vail, a public company, posted similar numbers (6% increase) to the overall industry and you all insinuated they were statistically lying in the Vail Sucks thread also. Mind you Vail saw this across almost all of their business units from ski school to lift ticket revenue.
Articulate yet completely off point. Folks' point is that the experience is their concern.
At some point, you just look like crusty jaded locals who can't admit they are yelling at clouds. The industry just had its best year ever and here you are again claiming that, no actually, the sport is receding based on conjecture for perceived overall participant numbers.
Ah yes, the little jab to the folks you disagree with. Apparently your knife sales are slow.

jimmywilson69

Ah yes its summer time...

Music Video Dancing GIF