• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airfares, ouch.

RISkier

Long, boring, story as to why we've waited till now to start looking at airfares. But we'd been planning to go West in March. Started looking at airfares to SLC and Denver, and am not finding anything from Providence with semi-reasonable connections or rates. Rates from Boston are only a little better and that costs us more for parking is a PITA. Haven't looked at the NYC area airports. Had to travel for some family issues last fall and wasn't able to find decent rates. Rental car rates seem really high as well. Anyone finding good travel deals and if so, where?

VTKilarney

I'm seeing tons of flights from Hartford to Denver in the $250 range during March. Parking is Bradley is dirt cheap. Why would you want to flyo out of New York if you can fly out of Hartford?

skiNEwhere

I searched flights in mid-March from Boston to Denver, price was barely $300. Are you looking for less than that?

xlr8r

I booked last week roundtrip on Southwest in late March to Denver from Boston for under $300. Great deal considering Southwest allows 2 checked bags for free. Going to Winter Park for 4 days.

RISkier

$300 would be great. I've not found anything for less than $398 from Boston, Bradley, or PVD to either SLC or Denver on the dates we can travel (we are pretty work limited with respect to travel dates) and the lowest price fares I've found either require very early departures from Bradley or Boston (either would probably require overnight stays, we're old enough to not be willing to get up at 2:30 or 3:00 to set out for the airport), or long flights with 2 stops, or otherwise really ugly connections). In the past we've usually just flown Southwest from Providence but Southwest prices are very high at everything I look at right now. Our date restrictions may be killing us, but fares seem way higher than in the past. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I'm not having much luck.

VTKilarney

It would have been helpful if you posted your date restrictions in your original post. You still haven't mentioned what those are. If people are going to spend their time helping you, at least prevent it from being a wild goose chase. Good luck.

SkiFanE

$300 would be great. I've not found anything for less than $398 from Boston, Bradley, or PVD to either SLC or Denver on the dates we can travel (we are pretty work limited with respect to travel dates) and the lowest price fares I've found either require very early departures from Bradley or Boston (either would probably require overnight stays, we're old enough to not be willing to get up at 2:30 or 3:00 to set out for the airport), or long flights with 2 stops, or otherwise really ugly connections). In the past we've usually just flown Southwest from Providence but Southwest prices are very high at everything I look at right now. Our date restrictions may be killing us, but fares seem way higher than in the past. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I'm not having much luck.

thats why they are cheap! What do you expect? You want a deal, then deal with an extra connection and early flight. If you want comfort and perfect match to your schedule, then pony up $. I don't get your complaint. Living comfy always costs $$$$

Cannonball

Well, yeah, if you have a ton of restrictions it's hard to find deals. So you're booking late, need specific dates, don't like off-hours, won't do long flights.....but want dirt cheap? Good luck!

Also $398 isn't all that bad. Certainly not in "ouch" territory.

xwhaler

Try booking 2 separate 1 ways on different airlines---sometimes can yield some nice cost savings.

mikestaple

Out of Providence you really have to take Southwest. Your skis will travel for free on Southwest.

Just remember. All airlines suck and it will suck. Welcome to the new travel. Bite the bullet and go. (Or. Fly the worst. United out of Newark to Bozman. May be a price deal there and it is direct).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiFanE

Out of Providence you really have to take Southwest. Your skis will travel for free on Southwest.

Just remember. All airlines suck and it will suck. Welcome to the new travel. Bite the bullet and go. (Or. Fly the worst. United out of Newark to Bozman. May be a price deal there and it is direct).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
I remember flying from Dallas -- Boston pretty regularly in the mid-90s. DC10, I'd have the entire 5 seat middle section to myself at end of work week. The good ole days...

AdironRider

Dude get over it. 398 is probably a bit below average for the slc to Boston flight, and maybe a couple bucks more than average into Denver. I make this flight six a year.

If these are sticker shock prices you should consider if you can afford the trip.

BenedictGomez

Dude get over it. 398 is probably a bit below average for the slc to Boston flight, and maybe a couple bucks more than average into Denver. I make this flight six a year.
Yeah, I mean, $200 each way doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all to be carted cross' country, especially to a non-major airport.

hammer

We were looking with specific dates to coincide with our son's spring break, and BOS to DEN was anywhere from $400 to $500, and that was for 6:00AM departures, multiple connections, etc. Didn't work out for other reasons but the idea of putting up $1500 in airfares for a few days skiing in CO seemed a bit much.

I did see that if we were more flexible the airfares could get somewhat cheaper, however.

Do have to admit that this isn't unexpected...

jaytrem

www.skiplagged.com - puts together flights with various pieces of flights. They're being sued by Airlines, so it must be good lol. Just found a BOS-DEN flight in March for $280 (9hrs) and $307 (6hrs).

What they do is figure out when it's cheaper to book a flight from city A to city C that goes thru city B when you really just want to get to city B. So you skip a leg and get off at B. Very different form just using 2 airlines. Note: it only works with carry on luggage as your checked luggage will continue on to your official final destination.

xwhaler

The above is interesting and clever. While I see how the airlines are upset since there is now a vehicle to assist in gaming the rates, I wonder if perhaps it creates a new market opportunity for them.
Say you get off at City B, there is now an empty seat on the planes. They could sell (very last minute) to any passengers wanting to go from B to C.
Not sure there would be enough time or how the airlines would know passenger 1 is not going on to City C---but if they could figure that out they now have an empty seat they have already been paid once for they could potentially be paid a 2nd time for.

BenedictGomez

The above is interesting and clever. While I see how the airlines are upset since there is now a vehicle to assist in gaming the rates, I wonder if perhaps it creates a new market opportunity for them.
Say you get off at City B, there is now an empty seat on the planes. They could sell (very last minute) to any passengers wanting to go from B to C.

Not sure there would be enough time or how the airlines would know passenger 1 is not going on to City C---but if they could figure that out they now have an empty seat they have already been paid once for they could potentially be paid a 2nd time for.

Not realistically logistically feasible.